***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Gators vs. Wildcats***

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
So now we're supposed to look down on ourselves? I don't think so. There's a reason that Lawrence Wright is my avatar. Wake up Gators.It's time to stand up and be a Gator. We don't give up. We win !!!. Find a way.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n281886 said:
We won and we covered so it was a good night. But, damn that offense was anemic.

Mostly due to mistakes which can and should be correctable as we gain experience and confidence.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
VulcanAlex;n282517 said:
Mostly due to mistakes which can and should be correctable as we gain experience and confidence.
We struggled running the ball and it definitely wasn't only the O-line's fault. I think we may have been a little quick on appointing Cronk as our best. KT needs to get angry and man up.

And where was Scarlett in this game? I missed it if it was mentioned somewhere, but was he injured, on discipline action, or just coaches decision to not play him at all? If healthy, he needs to get carries every game. I still think he's going to be the best of the bunch with experience. What concerned me was Fred Taylor going on the radio complaining about Kelvin not getting enough carries and being unhappy that he has to be part of a 3 man rotation, and next game the rotation is down to 2?? Hopefully just a coincidence or I just missed it and JS was injured.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Scarlett had no rushing yards (box doesn't indicate attempts). Not sure why he didn't see the field.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
What I didn't like:
Penalties:
10, which is an improvement over 12 but still absurd. PF's weren't there but we still incurred bonehead flags.

Can't sustain a drive:
3 plays, 7 yds, 1:21
5 plays, 19 yds, 2:24 == TD (short field after VH3 interception)
5 plays, 15 yds, 2:29
11 plays, 67 yds, 5:42 == Missed FG
10 plays, 57 yds, 5:31 == TD (good drive, but required KT to convert 4th and 1)
3 plays, -14 yds, 1:49
7 plays, 39 yds, 3;47 == Endzone INT
3 plays, 8 yds, 2:00
5 plays, 7 yds, 2:33
6 plays, 31 yds, 3:44
2 plays, 40 yds, 0:33 == End of game
If I'm the Defense, I'm thinkg "You're welcome for the short field on the first TD. Now how about making some first downs so we can catch our breath?"

Missed Opportunities:
Some will claim we were a few plays away from 28pts or so. True, the INT in the endzone hurt. So did the missed FG following a penalty following our offense's inability to score a TD. Same could be said for KY and the dropped TD they had. But at the end of the day, missed opportunities are just that - missed. We are NOT a team that put up 28-ish points against KY. We are what we are, a team with some obvious weaknesses that are going to hurt us down the road. We're just not 'there' yet.

WG Running:
Yes, it's great to have a QB that can make chicken salad, but to have him be our leading rusher for yards (61), AVG (5.1...discounting the lone Callaway run for 9yds), long (13yds) - this is not ideal, especially with a 'pocket passer.' The factors driving this (weak OL, collapsing pocket) were known heading into the season, but it still isn't a stat line I like to see.

What I did like:
Winning (again).

Spreading the ball around (7 receivers). Some of them with great catches (Calloway, McGee).

Defense that had some mistakes but still kept the other team out of the endzone, made turnovers, and made statement plays when it mattered. Really good (not great) game for that squad.

I will say I observed several throws that WG made that I am confident TH couldn't have. And, I'd be wiling to bet had we played TH most of the game many more called passing plays would have resulted in even higher rushing stats for the QB. I'm not going to second guess JMac and playing WG all game. It's obvious that's the man for the future and we'll take our lumps along the way. I'm ok with that.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n282766 said:
:longcat:

long-cat-is-long_o_246739.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused