***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Ass Sniffers***

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Chris Collinsworth is about the best and knows his Xs and Os. Which is why he's the NFLs feature voice.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And IMHO is the best color man broadcasting college ball...Actually is great at X's and O's....
People LOVED him when he said we deserved to be in the championship in 06 and how great we were in 08.

But when he says our coaches since look like monkeys trying to play checkers, it offends some.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
We did get torched over the top several times. There is no hiding it.

We are lucky Kirby burned his own team down by running off better QBs. Any one of whom would have had a record day hitting UGA wide receivers who were running free downfield.

All the teams we play from here on out that have any ability to take shots downfield will see those glaring weaknesses on tape and plan to hurt us bad there.

not trying to dampen the mood. We did what we had to do. We won. I just don’t want atrocious downfield coverage to diminish this win later when we still have some big goals out there and a schedule we should be able to weather from here on out barring terrible safety play costing us a game.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You said all off-season that Mullen needs to beat Georgia. He beats them and now you’re still complaining.

giphy.gif

We get it. You don’t like Mullen. Give it a break dude. Nothing he’ll ever do will please you. Just leave it at that.

giphy.gif

Mullen’s turned this into one of the best offenses in the nation. I’d say he’s doing his job. Of course he has good players. You think Clemson and Bama put up good numbers only because they have great schemes? No. Players make coaches. We all get that. Don’t come in here acting like you’re some revolutionary for pointing that out. This was a great win for the team. The fact that it wasn’t clean is actually encouraging. We smashed them without our A game. If someone told you we’d beat them by 16 points and we wouldn’t play extremely well, there’s no way you’d believe it. But it happened. After living through Muschamp and Mac you can’t pretend this would be happening under either one of them. So can we give Mullen a little credit?

giphy.gif

FTFY. There is no doubt that this team and offense would be less effective without Trask and Pitts. Look at Clemson without Lawrence. It is discouraging that Mullen didn't put Trask in until Franks was injured. I am concerned that Mullen will go back to Mullen 1.0 when Trask leaves.

However @ltraz , that's not to say that Muschamp would have had the same results. ...or that Mullen shouldn't get a ton of credit for how this team is playing. This team (especially the offense) is disciplined and improving. I don't agree with every call he makes and I prefer his Trask offense over one where the QB run is more prevalent. However, he consistently draws up creative plays that give our guys an advantage and he makes timely calls employing them.

Wait, I'm not going to use this moment and this thread to try to do a deep dive evaluation of Mullen. That's one of the main points. Now is the time to celebrate this accomplishment and not nitpick. Now's not the time to be a know-it-all. Give the criticism a break and enjoy. ...or at least shut up and let others enjoy it!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask has been great but I think Rex was the best pure QB we've had.

This reply isn't aimed at you, Zambo, as much as the whole idea of finding the GOAT or crowning the best.

I will continue to say it. It's impossible to fairly compare players across different eras who have different strengths and weaknesses, different supporting casts, different coaches, different schemes, and different opponents. I also don't want to diminish any deserving Gator to give one a bit more praise. I much prefer the idea of a tiered perspective.

In that way of thinking, I would put Trask in the top tier, among the best QB's we've ever had. Without ranking them, I would put him right there with Danny, SOS, Tebow, and Rex.

Trask's strength might be his ability to read the defense and his throwing accuracy.
Rex had the best arm of the group.
Tebow the best athlete, runner, and hype guy.
Danny was accurate and could run SOS's explosive system and was really durable.
I didn't see SOS play, but seems like he was a gamer with endless confidence and had high level skill at just about anything he did.

I'm thankful for each of them, what they contributed to Gator Nation and for giving me great memories. All of our Heisman winners were / are really, really high character guys too. They are absolutely great ambassadors for Gator Nation.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You are right. I’m wondering if QB recruiting and scheme will/could change to more of a pure “drop back” with an occasional run as opposed to an emphasis on a “running” QB. When Mullen and Meyer accepted who Leak was they changed the offense to his ability with success. I’m wondering if Mullen’s best coaching and play calling is actually better with a QB like Leak or Trask as opposed to Dak/Tebow. Mullen might prefer the Tebow/Dak QB but may actually be better suited, as a coach, with a Trask/Leak QB.
That would be incredibly ironic

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You’re always looking for improvement, for things that are different. We found it in spades. We came right back from a 14-0 hole on the strength of Trask’s arm and some timely play calling from Mullen, whose use of the back as a receiver was reminiscent of Spurrier. Teams can’t cover THAT many receivers.

We still make boneheaded plays on defense. Georgia was undermanned on defense and dropped a ton of gimme throws. Trask nearly allowed Georgia to get back in it midway through the second half when he double clutched and short-armed the ball straight to a Georgia defender for what could have been a pick 6.

We didn’t let those mistakes derail us, and that felt different. We rallied behind Trask’s quiet confidence. We have one helluva a kicker. I think we can go to Atlanta but beyond there I won’t predict. I’ll just enjoy the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.