Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
1700599345381.png

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
But its not the same situation. You don't focus on staying in bounds on that play one way or the other and he didn't run out of bounds he was knocked out of bounds.
Dude, seriously, the highlighted statement makes zero sense. It's still game management whether it's Spurrier or not. Taylor was playing hard and was going for the touchdown, cool I get it. But I remember watching the game live and wishing that he not gone out of bounds. From a pure game management standpoint, the smarter football move, since the FSUcks defenders had the angle, was to cut it back inside and go down in bounds leaving us 4 plays to pick up the TD.

If this doesn't make sense then we are too far apart to come to agreement. Go Gators!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Dude, seriously, the highlighted statement makes zero sense. It's still game management whether it's Spurrier or not. Taylor was playing hard and was going for the touchdown, cool I get it. But I remember watching the game live and wishing that he not gone out of bounds. From a pure game management standpoint, the smarter football move, since the FSUcks defenders had the angle, was to cut it back inside and go down in bounds leaving us 4 plays to pick up the TD.

If this doesn't make sense then we are too far apart to come to agreement. Go Gator

I guess I want the TD an fuq the whole run the clock down and risk a fumble (Fred already had 2) or a pick which Doug was prone to throw. Defense was playing well enough to trust with ~1:30.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

If this doesn't make sense then we are too far apart to come to agreement. Go Gators!

What you’re saying makes sense in terms of strategy. But I’ll disagree that it was the strategy we were using there. If you look at that drive from start to finish, the entire thing was about having the noles on their heels. Outside of a true last second drive, which this really wasn’t, it was about as close to tempo as I ever remember seeing from Spurrier. It was also the only drive where we didn’t rotate DJ and NB. The mindset there was clearly to score no matter the cost and let the defense stand in their own, which they fortunately did. So Taylor was just following those orders. I’d also add that as often as Spurrier has mentioned that game, and as much of a perfectionist as he was, he’d have mentioned at some point that play as being the wrong choice by Taylor. Could’ve bitten us yes, but he was obviously willing to take that risk because that whole fsu defense was shell shocked from the pass to Quez until FT crossed the line.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
What you’re saying makes sense in terms of strategy. But I’ll disagree that it was the strategy we were using there. If you look at that drive from start to finish, the entire thing was about having the noles on their heels. Outside of a true last second drive, which this really wasn’t, it was about as close to tempo as I ever remember seeing from Spurrier. It was also the only drive where we didn’t rotate DJ and NB. The mindset there was clearly to score no matter the cost and let the defense stand in their own, which they fortunately did. So Taylor was just following those orders. I’d also add that as often as Spurrier has mentioned that game, and as much of a perfectionist as he was, he’d have mentioned at some point that play as being the wrong choice by Taylor. Could’ve bitten us yes, but he was obviously willing to take that risk because that whole fsu defense was shell shocked from the pass to Quez until FT crossed the line.
I never said that was the strategy that Spurrier was using. In fact, I agree, Spurrier was all about scoring fast and scoring often. My original post, after watching the game highlights posted in this thread, was just noting that Taylor ran out-of-bounds. With the recent ETN running out-of-bounds, I found that noteworthy. Also, as Spurdog pointed out, he was shoved out.

Now that being said, I wonder how we would view this game if FSUchs, with 1:50 on the clock, drove down the field and scored to win the game? I mean it's not like they hadn't already scored 29 points on us. How would we have viewed Taylor going out of bounds then? Would we have blamed the defense, clock management, player situational awareness, etc.?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I never said that was the strategy that Spurrier was using. In fact, I agree, Spurrier was all about scoring fast and scoring often. My original post, after watching the game highlights posted in this thread, was just noting that Taylor ran out-of-bounds. With the recent ETN running out-of-bounds, I found that noteworthy. Also, as Spurdog pointed out, he was shoved out.

Now that being said, I wonder how we would view this game if FSUchs, with 1:50 on the clock, drove down the field and scored to win the game? I mean it's not like they hadn't already scored 29 points on us. How would we have viewed Taylor going out of bounds then? Would we have blamed the defense, clock management, player situational awareness, etc.?

I’ll continue to say that ETN running out of bounds had next to no bearing on the game. They had a time out. The only thing saving that one time out there did was give them time to think about fourth and 17. But we went ultra conservative in hopes that they couldn’t drive 30 yards in a minute and a half, and have a Mickey Mouse secondary. That’s why we lost the game. Not one play where a kid ran out of real estate.

Since we are talking about the Taylor run, though, what’s of note is that Nafis Karim has a chance at making a block and pulls up at the last minute because it would’ve been a BITB. In such an emotionally charged moment, it’s an example of both great heads up play by a player, and without question a reflection of coaching by Spurrier and Dixon. It also speaks volumes about the mentality of the team at that time. There was no desperation or concern that we couldn’t/wouldn’t ultimately score. No need to do too much and risk really messing things up.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

They really only scored 19 on the defense. 10 points came directly from F. Taylor fumbles deep inside our own territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.