Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks Uteman for being so welcoming. I was planning on traveling from Albuquerque to see the game but surgery intervened. I'll be getting stabbed on Wednesday. Oh, and Go Gators. The goal is for the Ute fans to be wailing, weeping and begging for the school to end participation in intercollegiate athletics to avoid further embarrassment when the Mighty Gators exit SLC triumphant.
Heal well! I hope it’s all laparoscopic & your recovery is quick and free of complications.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
From Donkey:

Now that the official depth chart is out, I like some of what I see. My thoughts on the defense first.

The DL nomenclature is confusing but it seems that the "ends" are called F and J/ Jack, which is traditional Saban terminology.

We are heavier at F than last year, which would have been Princely trying to fight off an SEC OT and TE with his 245 pounds.

At F/SDE we have Sapp (275), Pyburn (250) or Kamran James (265) or Kelby Collins (270), so obviously much heavier and frankly more talented for the task of being SDE. Princely was simply playing out of position and getting no rest due to lack of rest on top of that.

At J/Jack/ Rushback hybrid: Princely (255) followed by TJ Searcy (245 freshman) or Pyburn. We are a little thin here but I suspect either James or Collins could run here also. This position will probably more often than before be flexing back into coverage. At Lafayette, Slingblade definitely switched more between 3 down linemen and 4 more Dwagtham ever did.

NT Cam Jackson (360), Big Des (435) and Jamari Lyons (305). Des played very well last year and owned the A gaps. If Cam beat him out, we are in good shape with those guys rotating. I expect to see almost none of Des on 3rd and long this year, thankfully. I'm a little surprised by Lyons at third team. I expected him starting or in a "or" position of the second string. He played very well last year and when he was on the field, I always seemed to notice his play. We will see. Maybe he earns PT elsewhere. At 305 he could easily play SDE/ "F".

"DE" this is actually the other DT, the 3 technique. (Saban liked to call the players NT, DE, DE and Jack because kids preferred to be called ends.) Banks (320) or Chris McClellan (320) and Will Norman (300 freshman). McClellan looks like a future all SEC to me. If Banks is pushing/beating him, that's good news. I feel like McClellan could move to SDE/ F also if we have some injuries and start moving around to be heavier vs run teams/ and or if he plays into more snaps.

I like big butts so you know I like this so far. Long term I'd like to see something like Bullard 295 at SDE and Fowler at Jack at 265-270, but, finally, we not looking like a G5 team. There is a huge difference in a 265 pound kid versus a 230-240 pounder trying to hold the edge.

Linebackers are interesting. Scooby and Shemar James starting is a good thing IMO. I haven't seen much I like on film regarding the two transfers Mitchell and Nunnery. Hopefully they are just depth.

The depth chart lists a SAM backer. We haven't listed a Sam backer in the past. The roster shows Scooby there too which would mean Mitchell or Wingo at the other (WILL) position.

So, the SAM backer is the one who leaves the field to bring on the "Star". For us, the star isn't a LB/Safety hybrid like other teams, it is just a nickel corner. When we are playing running teams, I don't like having a nickel corner trying to play in the box versus the run, pretending to be a SAM nose up on a TE often. HOPEFULLY SAM being listed means we actually intend to play one more often.

Star: Hill and Perkins, I like. I like Hill better in coverage and Perkins versus the run. I don't LOVE either of them but maybe a freshman steps up. Star is a difficult position for a freshman though, with so many different assignments inside and outside in run and pass support.

Corners: you have to love Marshall and Kimber or Devin Moore. Marshall and Moore are potential all conference types IMO.

Safety: well.... this position has been a double flusher for .... forever. I can't even remember when we had mediocre or better safety play. Surely not since Chimp. So, we are leading with Miguel Mitchell and true freshman Jordan Castell. Not sure how I feel about this. I thought we'd see Kamari at star but not only is he not there, but he isn't starting at safety either. At least Moten doesn't appear to be headed for much playing time. I don't like anything I saw of him in game clips. Mitchell is 6-215. (He is the size I'd prefer to see at star.) That is nearly big enough to be a Dwagtham Edge. I'm wondering if it is going to be a strong safety cheating toward the box and run support type. We will see but I'm getting no warm and fuzzy off this. Luckily, Utah can't pass a lick so it won't much matter and hopefully someone earns the job.

Improved DL play helps everything. It keeps the guards off the linebackers. It keeps the safeties from feeling stressed in run support and cheating inside only to get beat over the top (Dean).

Altogether it is actually a significant upgrade in talent from what Dwagtham has been putting on the field.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Just make certain you don’t have any stray stones blocking any ducts before discharge.
I supposedly passed one about 4 weeks ago. The surgeon said he would image the ducts to make sure and if it hadn't passed I would be in the hospital overnight. Thanks for the input.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This explains it a little bit better than the than the above picture.
370037302_893978038934953_4949402563315323068_n.jpg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
And they got lucky we fumbled on our first possession I think inside the 10. It’s dumb
Adversity happens throughout the game. Early mistakes can and are overcome.

A veteran QB, uncharacteristically forcing a pass in the endzone, on second and goal, at the end of the game, leading to a diving interception by OUR defense... is luck. (unless you're saying that our defense accomplished similar feats in the remaining 11 games).

I also thought the cock block in 2006 was luck.

Muschamp's entire 2012 season was beyond luck... more like he made a contract with the devil.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Adversity happens throughout the game. Early mistakes can and are overcome.

A veteran QB, uncharacteristically forcing a pass in the endzone, on second and goal, at the end of the game, leading to a diving interception by OUR defense... is luck. (unless you're saying that our defense accomplished similar feats in the remaining 11 games).

I also thought the cock block in 2006 was luck.

Muschamp's entire 2012 season was beyond luck... more like he made a contract with the devil.
Random critical things that happen in the final seconds of a game are “luck.” Random critical things that happen in the other 59+ minutes are not. Got it.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
That depth chart is....

Meh Unimpressed GIF

I'm confused about the depth chart at WR. One of the weakest positions on the team and we're "starting" a former walk on rather than the guys who were recruited to add talent/speed in the room.

I'm sorry but I'd rather see Wilson, Jean, etc...than some walk on

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm confused about the depth chart at WR. One of the weakest positions on the team and we're "starting" a former walk on rather than the guys who were recruited to add talent/speed in the room.

I'm sorry but I'd rather see Wilson, Jean, etc...than some walk on
I'll never bet against a "Jackson". They're UF royalty as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator