OFFICIAL: Jim McElwain is new UF football coach

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here are some initial thoughts on the hire:

I'm not blown away by this hire, but I can say that I am satisfied and relieved. I feel like I understand Foley's thought process in hiring Coach McElwain: get a guy that is a proven commodity offensively, get a guy who has head coaching experience, get a guy that can COACH. Based on all the evidence we have, this guy fits that criteria. The guy succeeded at the highest level and thrived as a OC at a school in Alabama where the expectations are as high as they are at Florida (and I'm sure that coaching under Nick Saban is not an easy job). Sure we can say the same thing about Muschamp, but McElwain already successfully turned around a struggling football program as a head coach in a short amount of time. This tells me that the guy understands how to assemble a sound coaching staff and how to develop players. I won't make any foolish predictions, but I'm optimistic that Coach Mac will do well here.

The biggest issues he has at the moment are adding depth to our offensive line and recruiting difference makers at the WR position for the foreseeable future. I'm confident that we'll be strong and recruit well defensively, especially if the defensive staff is largely kept in tact. OFFENSE must be the focus! Given his background, I wonder if McElwain will call the plays or bring in a new OC. It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Time to break out the Mac Attack offense.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, I lurked a few rival boards and aside form the expected buttcaps, the overall take seems to be respect for the hire and an expectation that we'll be contending again. Mc's name does cause fear (not yet, anyway), but the sense is that we're making a good move and the rest of the East is going to suck even more now.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Talked to several non-UF supporting friends who didn't like the hire because they are afraid he will right the ship and UF will no longer be an inept joke. A lot of positive buzz surrounding this hire. I'm excited.

TexasGator

Oct 20, 2014
McElwain press conference on championship game Saturday instead of Friday. Genius move by Foley and UAA to get media coverage when Gators aren't playing.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n124661 said:
Mac throwing in money.
@GatorZoneScott: Buyout details: UAA pays CSU $3 M over 6 years, CSU to visit Swamp between 2017-20 for $2 M, and McElwain pays CSU $2 M = $7 million.

I like the fact that Mac is wanting to pay himelf as well. Tells me he wants to be here.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n124719 said:
Talked to several non-UF supporting friends who didn't like the hire because they are afraid he will right the ship and UF will no longer be an inept joke. A lot of positive buzz surrounding this hire. I'm excited.

The BAMA fans I work with had a collective, "oh sh!t" they know JM is Legit.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n124757 said:
I like the fact that Mac is wanting to pay himelf as well. Tells me he wants to be here.

You don't really think that's coming out of his own money. Pretty sure that will be reciprocated at some point. No way does he pay that himself in the end.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Iam4UF7;n124730 said:
FWIW Mike Riley in as Head Coach at Nebraska

I am surprised by Nebraska. I lived outside of Corvalis for a few years, so I follow the Beavs. Riley is OK. But I dont think he will even come close to the record Pelini had.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n124782 said:
I am surprised by Nebraska. I lived outside of Corvalis for a few years, so I follow the Beavs. Riley is OK. But I dont think he will even come close to the record Pelini had.

Agreed. Did the Huskers have UTooth doing a coaching search for them? Maybe they just stopped thinking when they heard the word "Oregon" and missed the rest of the sentence? :headscratch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator