Gator Baseball ***OFFICIAL NC SERIES THREAD: UF vs LSU***

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I got a funny feeling skenes is gonna get lit up. He's thrown a lot, all the pressure is on him, his routine is disrupted, and we are suddenly hot

Also helps so much smoke has been blown up his ass over the last week his head should be nice and big

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
If we get Skenes at all, I am thinking only 60ish pitches max either in a high leverage spot or possibly to close (hopefully not obviously).....3 days rest after 120 pitches about to go #1? I don't see any way he starts....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If we get Skenes at all, I am thinking only 60ish pitches max either in a high leverage spot or possibly to close (hopefully not obviously).....3 days rest after 120 pitches about to go #1? I don't see any way he starts....
If they don't start him their manager should be fired, no questions asked. It's one game for the freaking NC, for God's sake. What else do you play for?

This stupid "X days of rest" and pitch counts are a relatively new phenomenon when you examine the history of baseball. What do you think is going to happen, his arm is going to fall off?

So tired of the pussification of all of our beloved games.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Saw an on3 article saying cooper stayed at the hotel Sunday with a nasty stomach bug. Would be a big hit to their bullpen if he can’t contribute tonight. Or will be a “gutsy performance” we’ll have to hear about for years…

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw an on3 article saying cooper stayed at the hotel Sunday with a nasty stomach bug. Would be a big hit to their bullpen if he can’t contribute tonight. Or will be a “gutsy performance” we’ll have to hear about for years…
So....... he's full of chit?

or was......

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Let's not kid ourselves. The pitching we faced today was a walk in the park compared to Skenes and others that we may face tomorrow. A premature declaration of victory, overestimating our ability and underestimating an opponent is a fool's errand, particularly after our disastrous performance in the first game.
You make it sound like we lost 25-3 or something instead of it being a game where yes, our pitching was bad, yes we had a couple of botches fielding balls, and most definitely yes, we swung at a TON of stupid pitches... but still managed to almost have a walk off in the 9th, 2 men on with 1 out in the 10th, only lose 4-3 in 11 innings.

Then, we come back next day, and again with pretty terrible starting pitching, we improved in every other aspect of the game while simultaneously doing two other very important things: 1) our top dead bats came alive (and not with lucky, crap hits), 2) their bats died after the 3rd inning (and their top bats did whiffed).

Now, to a simple unfrozen caveman baseball fan like me, what does that mean (again, in a sport that is defined by averages over a long season)? I like where we are sitting: in a winner take all final game... one that even 24 hours ago half the people here thought wouldn't happen (and definitely did not think would happen when they tuned out after the 2nd inning of a 9 inning game that was going much the same way as the game before which wound up being a one run game in 11 innings).

Here's more worthless opinion... which of these two teams would I feel more confident about going into todays game especially using the science of statistics as applied to championship baseball (sorry, had to say it! :lol: ):
  1. The one that I think they said last night on SECN had won 11 x 3 game series this year when losing the first game, all their elimination games, has the statistical history of teams losing Game 1 of the final heavily on their side (7 of 10, last 5 in a row), and who's bats finally just came alive probably at exactly the right moment? or...
  2. A team that was flying high into the 3rd inning yesterday, was getting all the clutch hits when needed, but then our bats came alive, theirs died, and they committed SIX errors (tell me that's not in someone's head coming into today).
I don't know how many innings Skenes will or won't pitch today, I don't care. People have made fun (rightly in my opinion) of a QB prospect's dad saying his son was afraid to compete/of the schedule, and yet here many are doing the same. Wanna be the best? Beat the best. I'd hate to lose either way, but if we win tonight, I'd rather Skenes be on the mound for even just one pitch so that we don't hear fukkin LSU fans bitching forever about "if we woulda had Skenes on the mound, we woulda won!" Well, you didn't, because you LOST and it f'd up your rotation and we didn't.

I'm neither declaring victory prematurely nor underestimating our opponent... that IS a fool's errand... but which team do I think will be looser/more relaxed/feeling more confident about themselves today? Gators. What does that mean going into the opening pitch today? Not a damn thing... all I know is that the Gators have taken this season to a deciding Game 3, that's all I care about... now they'll play the game and we'll see what happens.

Let's go win ANOTHER championship tonight!
:chomp::chomp::chomp:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
If they don't start him their manager should be fired, no questions asked. It's one game for the freaking NC, for God's sake. What else do you play for?

This stupid "X days of rest" and pitch counts are a relatively new phenomenon when you examine the history of baseball. What do you think is going to happen, his arm is going to fall off?

So tired of the pussification of all of our beloved games.

Totally agree on everything you said....I would also add injuries seem to be more common with babying pitchers, not less....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Totally agree on everything you said....I would also add injuries seem to be more common with babying pitchers, not less....

I don’t understand the intricacies of baseball very well so, honest question… All jokes aside about the increased estrogen in modern day pitchers aside, how many days rest is realistic to expect zero fatigue for a pitcher? Can we expect skenes to be 100%? Will he likely fade after 4 innings? Dude seems to be a cyborg.

It’s the final game of the CWS, so there’s no reason to think lswho is gonna leave any of their studs on the bench.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The reality is that nothing that happened the previous two games has any bearing on the outcome of today’s game aside from bullpen usage. Who has the better quality, better rested arms to get to the 9th?

We shall see. We have to be happy to be in this position. Winning a championship takes talent and good fortune.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don’t understand the intricacies of baseball very well so, honest question… All jokes aside about the increased estrogen in modern day pitchers aside, how many days rest is realistic to expect zero fatigue for a pitcher? Can we expect skenes to be 100%? Will he likely fade after 4 innings? Dude seems to be a cyborg.

It’s the final game of the CWS, so there’s no reason to think lswho is gonna leave any of their studs on the bench.
As a Detroit Tigers fan... whenever the subject of pitching/innings pitched/complete games... I always think of Jack Morris:

"Not only did Morris have more wins in the 1980s than any other pitcher (162), he also had the most innings pitched (2,433 2/3), starts (332) and complete games (133). Morris was known for finishing what he started. He racked up 175 complete games in his career (154 with Detroit). He compiled double-digit complete game totals in 10 of his 12 full seasons as a Tiger. In 1983, Morris completed 20 of his 37 starts. "

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The reality is that nothing that happened the previous two games has any bearing on the outcome of today’s game aside from bullpen usage. Who has the better quality, better rested arms to get to the 9th?

We shall see. We have to be happy to be in this position. Winning a championship takes talent and good fortune.
I beg to differ, sports are not a roulette wheel with no previous memory, chance is not a flip of the coin. There is a reason why "momentum" is a thing, it can be from game to game or in our case yesterday, inning-to-inning!

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I beg to differ, sports are not a roulette wheel with no previous memory, chance is not a flip of the coin. There is a reason why "momentum" is a thing, it can be from game to game or in our case yesterday, inning-to-inning!
As you said, “it can be”. That doesn’t necessarily mean, “it will be”.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As a Detroit Tigers fan... whenever the subject of pitching/innings pitched/complete games... I always think of Jack Morris:

"Not only did Morris have more wins in the 1980s than any other pitcher (162), he also had the most innings pitched (2,433 2/3), starts (332) and complete games (133). Morris was known for finishing what he started. He racked up 175 complete games in his career (154 with Detroit). He compiled double-digit complete game totals in 10 of his 12 full seasons as a Tiger. In 1983, Morris completed 20 of his 37 starts. "
I think it mostly comes down to genetics. I remember seeing that Nolan Ryan threw for almost 200 pitches in one of his no-hitters, and taking him out wasn't even a consideration. He of course threw 100 MPH for 27 freaking years. A genetic freak, just like Jack Morris. They didn't get "tired" after two or three days off.

On the other hand, many of these pitchers do everything right, with all the proper exercises, techniques, time between starts and strict pitch counts, and they have to get Tommy John surgery in about 37 seconds. There's nothing wrong with playing it relatively safe, but I think it simply comes down to genetics. You really don't know until these guys throw for a while.

In a situation like this, you HAVE to start your ace. If you don't, you need to question why you are even involved in the game itself.

Remember when the Arizona Diamondbacks brought Randy Johnson in to close out the World Series against the Yanks? That was a team doing what they had to do to win, regardless of the "rest" that was generally required of their starting pitchers.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Soooooo… we’re likely to see skenes bring the heat for 7-8 innings. Zoinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.