Gator Basketball ***Official Offseason Thread BBALL*** Top 50 Overall Guard Alex Lloyd Commits

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m going to assume Martin is now our point guard. All we can do is trust Golden. I don’t like it.

View attachment 69485
i'm gonna give golden boy the benefit of the doubt. i think he's earned it at this point. and unlike some of the folks here, i think clayton did pretty well and aberdeen is just starting to show what he's capable of. i think the trio very well may end up being excellent.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
i'm gonna give golden boy the benefit of the doubt. i think he's earned it at this point. and unlike some of the folks here, i think clayton did pretty well and aberdeen is just starting to show what he's capable of. i think the trio very well may end up being excellent.
He’s averaged 1.5 assist per game for his career. He’s a great addition for his defense and rebounding but if he was promised we wouldn’t take a pg if he signed, that’s not a good strategy. Basically it seems like the plan is to go into the season without a pg.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the 2 options going forward now are to either get a PG and make Alijah Martin the starting SF with Will Richard as backup at SG/SF (Martin's 5.9 REB/30mins is competitive with most SFs), or get a bigger more traditional SF who can also be a third ball handler.

The pieces we have need to be aligned for the best fit as a team. Max Shulga would be a great option if going the PG route. Excellent shooting percentages and PPP as on-ball handler with a 2:1 AST:TO ratio. Martin would be the 3 and would need to switch off with Shulga to cover taller SFs or substituted for Haugh.

If going the traditional SF route, I like Earl Timberlake and Hasan-Abdul Hakim.

Timberlake at 6'6 220 is a better rim scorer, elite rebounder and has a 2:1 AST:TO ratio but struggles with outside shooting.

Hakim at 6'8 206 is a better shooter, but doesn't rebound as well and has more TOs, though a higher assist rate of total team production.

Any of these 3 options would be good bets going forward IMO.

Good stuff Lucius. Timberlake is out. Non shooters don’t play for Todd unless they are a 5.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
He’s averaged 1.5 assist per game for his career. He’s a great addition for his defense and rebounding but if he was promised we wouldn’t take a pg if he signed, that’s not a good strategy. Basically it seems like the plan is to go into the season without a pg.
You don't necessarily need a PG to average 7-8 assists a game. Green was about a 3 assist a game player for his career. But that worked because the rest of the starters averaged 2-3 assists themselves. So you can move the ball around and not worry about 1 guy getting all the assists. A 3 guard lineup can definitely work.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You don't necessarily need a PG to average 7-8 assists a game. Green was about a 3 assist a game player for his career. But that worked because the rest of the starters averaged 2-3 assists themselves. So you can move the ball around and not worry about 1 guy getting all the assists. A 3 guard lineup can definitely work.
I’m all for a 3 guard lineup but one of them needs to be a true PG or your assist to TO ratio is going to suffer. Look at it this way, we struggled against the press last year with one of the most sure handed PG’s in the country. Now imagine having Aberdeen and Clayton as your only option trying to break the press. Then throw in the SEC refs who pretty much let teams mug our guards, especially end of games. Going into this offseason the biggest needs were replacing Pullin’s handle, Samuel’s inside scoring, and adding more defense and defensive rebounding. I think we did okay on replacing scoring and adding defense but we definitely didn’t replace Pullin. I’d still be all for adding a true PG but it seems like that’s not the plan so hopefully it works out.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’m all for a 3 guard lineup but one of them needs to be a true PG or your assist to TO ratio is going to suffer. Look at it this way, we struggled against the press last year with one of the most sure handed PG’s in the country. Now imagine having Aberdeen and Clayton as your only option trying to break the press. Then throw in the SEC refs who pretty much let teams mug our guards, especially end of games. Going into this offseason the biggest needs were replacing Pullin’s handle, Samuel’s inside scoring, and adding more defense and defensive rebounding. I think we did okay on replacing scoring and adding defense but we definitely didn’t replace Pullin. I’d still be all for adding a true PG but it seems like that’s not the plan so hopefully it works out.
I think we undervalued what Samuel brought to the table offensively. I think we needed to add a seasoned front court player that could score to replace him. Even though we lost 2 starters him and Handlogten. Instead,we took on 2 guys that are green and don't really give you much offensively. Then we needed to add a ball handler and play maker to compensate for that and we really didn't. I think we kinda dropped the ball of here if this is what we're gonna roll with next year. With our success last year and what we could offer transfers, I think we could have done alot better .

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I think we undervalued what Samuel brought to the table offensively. I think we needed to add a season front court player that could score to replace him. Even though we lost 2 starters him and Handlogten. And took on 2 guys that are green and don't really give you much offensively. Then we needed to add a ball handler and play maker to compensate for that and we really didn't. I think we kinda dropped the ball of here if this is what we're gonna roll with next year. With our success last year and what we could offer transfers, I think we could have done alot better .
Interesting. Look forward to replies. Maybe the two guys we took will turn out better than expected.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. Look forward to replies. Maybe the two guys we took will turn out better than expected.
Absolutely. I think golden can coach. And his transfer class last year worked out pretty good. Handlogten definitely exceeded my expectations. I'm not saying we're doomed I'm just a little skeptical.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I think we undervalued what Samuel brought to the table offensively. I think we needed to add a season front court player that could score to replace him. Even though we lost 2 starters him and Handlogten. And took on 2 guys that are green and don't really give you much offensively. Then we needed to add a ball handler and play maker to compensate for that and we really didn't. I think we kinda dropped the ball of here if this is what we're gonna roll with next year. With our success last year and what we could offer transfers, I think we could have done alot better .
Yeah, Samuel was a gifted scorer inside. Really athletic and quick first step. But I think we are counting on Condon and Chinyelu making big strides in their offensive game with another year of experience. Still, they aren’t going to have the back to the hoop skills of Samuel. But he wasn’t a great defender so maybe better defense will make up for less inside scoring.

But not signing a true point guard is worrisome. If you’re an optimist you could hope that Golden didn’t need to sign a pure PG because he knows the Boozer twins are coming and Cameron is going to run the point as the starting point forward lol.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Samuel was a gifted scorer inside. Really athletic and quick first step. But I think we are counting on Condon and Chinyelu making big strides in their offensive game with another year of experience. Still, they aren’t going to have the back to the hoop skills of Samuel. But he wasn’t a great defender so maybe better defense will make up for less inside scoring.

But not signing a true point guard is worrisome. If you’re an optimist you could hope that Golden didn’t need to sign a pure PG because he knows the Boozer twins are coming and Cameron is going to run the point as the starting point forward lol.

That's another reason I wanted to add a senior big. So we could offer starter minutes and a chance to start for Cam boozer. Now we're gonna have 4 to 5 guys in our Front court when he's a freshmen. So either we didn't really have a shot with him or we might have shot ourselves in the foot.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We still have 2 more spots to fill. I’m interested to see what Golden does.

Thought we had 1?

Outgoing (5):
- Kugel
- Samuel
- Rishwain
- German dude
- Pullin

Incoming (4):
- Martin
- Alexis
- Isiah Brown
- Tall dude from WSU

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Thought we had 1?

Outgoing (5):
- Kugel
- Samuel
- Rishwain
- German dude
- Pullin

Incoming (4):
- Martin
- Alexis
- Isiah Brown
- Tall dude from WSU
FBH mentioned 2 spots left. You may be right. I'm only seeing one spot left as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator