Old article about Hevesy from Miss State

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This was posted on 247's page. This is four plus years ago and the same exact issues. It's mind blowing that he's still on the staff. Mullen's stubbornness is head scratching. He's got this program stuck in the mud, literally going nowhere heading into year four due to 3 or 4 dud coaches. I pasted some highlights from the article..

John Hevesy needs to be fired YESTERDAY

Misssissippi State’s offensive line has been a wreck for two years and there’s no reason for it other than the lackluster recruiting of John Hevesy.
This O-line is just terrible. It features three starting seniors and 87 career starts among the group….but they can’t block much of anything.....

For the first three games of the year, Hevesy started Elgton Jenkins, Deion Calhoun, Jamaal Clayborn, Devon Desper and Justin Senior. In the case of each of these players, MSU was their only SEC offer out of high school.

....when you don’t have the talent to begin with, and are relying on patchwork and diamonds in the rough it will catch up to you. That’s what has happened in 2015 and 2016. This O-line is not SEC worthy and it comes down to recruiting….which Hevesy has made it known he doesn’t like to do.

Every other position group is able to attract high three and four star recruits while the OL is signing guys in the low threes with no other SEC offers. Whenever MSU goes after a highly touted lineman, they choose the other school.

I know he’s your boy, Mullen, but your boy is keeping you from running an effective offense. The OL being bad is a domino effect that touches every aspect of the offense.

We’ve recruited like a Sun Belt program on the OL for far too long and it’s caught up with us big time. Time to jettison Coach Hevesy and find someone who wants to recruit SEC-level players so we can have a serviceable offensive front without relying on walk-ons to become All-Americans.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. I thought Hevesy would bring excellent coaching.

After several years I’d say his coaching is above average and his recruiting is dog shyt. No amount of coaching can overcome severe talent gaps. And UF shouldn’t have talent gaps like that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
O-line has been hot garbage since he arrived. Yeah our pass blocking has improved some, but run blocking is an abortion. And most all blocking is a disaster against upper tier D lines.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good find on that article. Sadly those who watch the games know quite well that Hevesy sux dog dykk as a coach. But true to my beliefs, you can't blame an asst. without also calling out the HC. So if Hevesy blows, it is Cousin Eddie's fault.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I am shocked. Shocked I tell you. Law and itraz were singing Hevesy's praises back in the day. Law said Hevesy's first season would be his worst. That aged well.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Probably my biggest disappointment of the Mullen hires/bring-alongs. I never had any hopes for Grantham, Gonzalez is about what I expected, and you could see guys like English and "Robin of Knoxley" were going to test the waters of worst in our history from the moment they were announced. But Hev felt like a solid upgrade in coaching, which would hopefully translate at least to some degree into a talent uptick. No one would care if he was developing 3* OL kids into solid players. But outside of White, we haven't really seen that. Disappointing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am shocked. Shocked I tell you. Law and itraz were singing Hevesy's praises back in the day. Law said Hevesy's first season would be his worst. That aged well.

put me in there as well. I thought production would be much improved. As Sofla said, it’s better. But not elite by any stretch.

Sad

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Part of me wants to start an "Andrew Jackson and the Indian Wars" or a "Who likes Algebra?" thread, just to see if you can somehow steer it back, even if only subtly, to your disdain for Mullen and his offense. I feel like you could.:lol:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
But outside of White, we haven't really seen that.

Whoa...lets not credit Hev with White's hard work and determination. I think White is the one who gets all the credit and not Hevesy. Just because there is an anomaly doesn't mean it has to be credited to the coach. I suggest because he is an anomaly it rules out the coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's nothing wrong with the offense line except we have a fuchstarded HC that refuses to block one DE by design.

We'd be averagish with a competent playcaller.

That is not to say he isn't a poor recruiter. He lost the OL job the first time because he was a terrible recruiter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

The battle of New Orleans was at the end of that 1812 war. It was technically meaningless, shouldn't have actually been fought, and involved a foe from Louisiana. My guess is he gives his top guys the day off and sits his cavalry.

That was way too easy. :lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The battle of New Orleans was at the end of that 1812 war. It was technically meaningless, shouldn't have actually been fought, and involved a foe from Louisiana. My guess is he gives his top guys the day off and sits his cavalry.

That was way too easy. :lol:

Oooh- my turn!

To win, Jackson had to RECRUIT the pirate Jean Lafitte to supplement Jackson’s militia of soft New Orleans shopkeepers and pimps with some of Lafitte’s bad men. More importantly, Lafitte brought plenty of guns and powder, critical FACILITIES Jackson lacked.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What is the value of v if u = 10, a = 3 and t = 2 in the formula u = v + at? And why does Grantham suck so bad on 3rd down?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What is the value of v if u = 10, a = 3 and t = 2 in the formula u = v + at? And why does Grantham suck so bad on 3rd down?
Dan Mullen vs Teams that finished ranked in the AP Top 25
renderTimingPixel.png

Summary: Dan Mullen vs Teams that finished ranked in the AP poll at the end of the season.

All-Time vs Top 25 7-42 vs Top 10 2-28

While at UF vs Top 25 4-7 vs Top 10 2-6

I wonder if the official announced attendance will be 74228?

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Dan Mullen vs Teams that finished ranked in the AP Top 25
renderTimingPixel.png

Summary: Dan Mullen vs Teams that finished ranked in the AP poll at the end of the season.

All-Time vs Top 25 7-42 vs Top 10 2-28

While at UF vs Top 25 4-7 vs Top 10 2-6

I wonder if the official announced attendance will be 74228?

So you are saying that Danny boy is improving!? Look at that percentage against top 10 shoot into double digits!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator