Our 2001 Gators- The greatest team to never win squat

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well as much as I liked the 2001 team the 1985 is still my favorite team without a trophy at 9-1-1 final ranking of #5 loaded roster with Kerwin Bell, Neal Anderson, John L Williams, Ricky Nattiel, Jarvis Williams, Louis Oliver and more. Those were all players brought in by Charlie Pell. Can no longer build a team brick by brick.
Ranked #1 for the first time in school history and then lost to the Leghumpers the following week.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We'll never know how good that team may have been because of how unexpectedly bad it was on both sides of the LOS against Tennessee that day. I was in the south end zone stands. Stephens averaged a ridiculous 11.89 a carry against a Florida defense that finished the season fifth overall in total yards.

We might not have been a great defense, but we certainly weren't bad except for that game. Even then, we nearly pulled it off late. Running backs weren't as good as '96 and certainly not with Graham out. We became completely one-dimensional, and that wasn't enough even with Grossman at QB.

Just as important, it helped Spurrier cement his mind on the NFL. He'd grown tired of the expectations, tired of chasing his own shadow, and was finally ready to scratch the itch. If Florida beats UT, and esp if it goes on to win another title, you can maybe argue that he doesn't leave.

Nevertheless, I wasn't ready for the announcement or the circus that was to follow from Foley futilely chasing Stoops and then Shanahan before settling on Zook.

Zook and Mullen, the ultimate settle coaches.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Ranked #1 for the first time in school history and then lost to the Leghumpers the following week.
Hammered by the Humpers, sadly I was there!

The thing I respected the most about this team was how they stood together thru all the adversity. First the bs of 84, firing of Pell, sanctions, stripping the SEC championship they won on the field. Going into 85 knowing that they were playing for pride every Saturday and there was no reward at the backend. Any measure of similar stuff now days the team would be gutted by the players hitting the door. The follow up season would look like what we are seeing in the BN era. Those kids had to stick with the program or be out of football, they stuck, they played, they won. Favorite Gator team to win nothing but the games they played.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We'll never know how good that team may have been because of how unexpectedly bad it was on both sides of the LOS against Tennessee that day. I was in the south end zone stands. Stephens averaged a ridiculous 11.89 a carry against a Florida defense that finished the season fifth overall in total yards.

We might not have been a great defense, but we certainly weren't bad except for that game. Even then, we nearly pulled it off late. Running backs weren't as good as '96 and certainly not with Graham out. We became completely one-dimensional, and that wasn't enough even with Grossman at QB.

Just as important, it helped Spurrier cement his mind on the NFL. He'd grown tired of the expectations, tired of chasing his own shadow, and was finally ready to scratch the itch. If Florida beats UT, and esp if it goes on to win another title, you can maybe argue that he doesn't leave.

Nevertheless, I wasn't ready for the announcement or the circus that was to follow from Foley futilely chasing Stoops and then Shanahan before settling on Zook.

Zook and Mullen, the ultimate settle coaches.
You better believe Steve slaps Nicky around the next week just as he did earlier in Baton Rouge. Could’ve been shades of 96’ taking down a rival in the title game . Sadly we will never know .

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You better believe Steve slaps Nicky around the next week just as he did earlier in Baton Rouge. Could’ve been shades of 96’ taking down a rival in the title game . Sadly we will never know .

The bigger question, for me at least, would have been Miami in the Rose.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I was at that UT game in 2001 and it is still surreal to me that we lost the game and then a month later we lost the legend.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that UT game in 2001 and it is still surreal to me that we lost the game and then a month later we lost the legend.

I think his announcement was a day, maybe two after we annihilated Maryland in the Orange.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think his announcement was a day, maybe two after we annihilated Maryland in the Orange.

His announcement was the day after Miami won the national title, which was very humorous because instead of talking about UM being National Champions the news became about him joining the Foreskins.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His announcement was the day after Miami won the national title, which was very humorous because instead of talking about UM being National Champions the news became about him joining the Foreskins.

Was a strange feeling. Almost like abandonment. I skipped counseling, though, and toughed it out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was a strange feeling. Almost like abandonment. I skipped counseling, though, and toughed it out.
I was at the corner of University and 34th street, following GatorJ and his future wife when the announcement was made. I was listening to UF AM sports station (820?), GatorJ jumps out of his car runs back to mine, asking if I'm hearing this, we end up listening to the presser while following his future wife to the movie.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was at the corner of University and 34th street, following GatorJ and his future wife when the announcement was made. I was listening to UF AM sports station (820?), GatorJ jumps out of his car runs back to mine, asking if I'm hearing this, we end up listening to the presser while following his future wife to the movie.

I was in my office working with a colleague who was a cane. It’s funny you mention the timing because I said the same thing to him then. Their whole storyline was dismissed.

Still felt like a disastrous few months. We lose EG, then are beaten by the vols, at home no less, giving us a second loss, meaning we have to watch other teams play in Atl—the horror—and now Spurrier leaves. Could things at UF possibly get any worse? :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. Grossman lining up at WR in the waning moments of an embarrassing bowl loss.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yes. Grossman lining up at WR in the waning moments of an embarrassing bowl loss.
We beat Maryland in the OB 56-23. I remember SOS started the kid who transferred to UM , Brock Berlin because Grossman had done something that PO'd SOS.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We beat Maryland in the OB 56-23. I remember SOS started the kid who transferred to UM , Brock Berlin because Grossman had done something that PO'd SOS.

It PO'd Spurrier, but Spurrier also covered for his ass so the media didn't find out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the media report was he was late to hotel curfew in by 20 or so minutes. soooo... what was the real reason?

Him being late was true, but not the full story. Steve went to the front door to get the media focus. Some offensive linemen carrying Grossman came in the back entrance.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

What a difference when Grossman entered the game. Berlin had a pop gun. Rex had a cannon.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I will never forget when and where I heard the news on SOS. Wife had just picked me up from the airport after flying home after watching us beat the shyt out of Friedgen and the Twerps. Stopped at a Ruby Tuesday's to eat and the news broke on the TV. I felt like someone had died. Need less to say I went from eating to drinking.....heavily.

Shane says on his podcast from time to time. SOS got tired of the Expectation over the appreciation.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will never forget when and where I heard the news on SOS. Wife had just picked me up from the airport after flying home after watching us beat the shyt out of Friedgen and the Twerps. Stopped at a Ruby Tuesday's to eat and the news broke on the TV. I felt like someone had died. Need less to say I went from eating to drinking.....heavily.

Shane says on his podcast from time to time. SOS got tired of the Expectation over the appreciation.

Now just to be clear, you felt like someone died because of the news or because your wife choose to take you to a ruby tuesday? I mean both seem legit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator