Peak America-- 1982 to 1999?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When was Peak America?

I used to believe things got better and better for us. Sure, we'd hit a little bump in the road here and there, but things were always getting better.

I don't believe that anymore.

Things are worse today than when I was in high school and college and not just because I'm older. They're just worse.

When was Peak America?

Imma say '82 to '99.

By '82, we had Reagan in the White House replacing the era of stagflation and malaise (Jimmy Carter) with pride and patriotism and American values. The hostages were home. The longest economic boom in our history was getting started. The Gators were good.

We were the good guys and the whole world knew it. The Soviets were the bad guys. This made the Olympics fun and movies better (Top Gun, Rocky 4, Red Dawn). Speaking of which, our military was focused on beating the Soviets, not on sex change operations and DEI. Our senior leadership were platoon and company commanders in Vietnam--they were warriors, not politicians in uniform. We had the Eagle, the Fighting Falcon, and the Tomcat (later the Hornet). We were a generation ahead in night vision and we were the only nation on Earth with a stealth capability. We had iron-willed allies like Margaret Thatcher. We had a Pope who loved God and hated commies. We had basic cable, some of us had MTV, and we probably knew somebody who had HBO. There were no "devices" and no social media (but the Walkman was great). The music was fun. We wore parachute pants or a white jacket like Miami Vice. Sugar Hill Gang invented rap and we listened to Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. We used mousse in our big hair and listened to New Wave. We got Dan Marino, the Super Bowl Shuffle, and the Lakers versus the Celtics. We were free to roam on our bikes until the street lights came on. We were free-range kids and there were no helicopter parents. When we were too young to go to clubs, we scammed on chicks at the mall or at the beach. China was weak and maybe not our ally, but at least closer to us than they were to the Soviets.

The only downside? The daily fear that WWIII could start at any moment and destroy civilization as we knew it.

Then we got HW Bush and the fall of the Iron Curtain. We were euphoric. Most thought they'd never see the day. Germany reunited, the fall of the Soviet Union, we won without firing a shot (sorta). We didn't have to worry about Armageddon. We dazzled the world in the Gulf War. Russia was an afterthought. We weren't just the leader of the free world, we were the leader of the whole world. Everybody on the planet wanted levis, coke, and rock n roll. John Hughes was the voice of our generation. After a sh!tty run due to probation, a man named Spurrier came back to Gainesville and started collecting SEC Championships and scoring records. The Braves were good. Race relations were better. Bill Cosby was America's Dad. Every housewife loved Oprah. Rodney King happened, but that was an aberration, not the norm.

Then we got Bill Clinton who (with Newt Gingrich looming over his shoulder) told us "the era of big government was over". We reaped the benefit of the "peace dividend" and the invention of the internet. We wanted to Be Like Mike, and we watched a kid named Tiger golf. Seinfeld revolutionized TV. We had the Simpsons and movies that mirrored our angst. We didn't know it, but we were passed the top of the peak. Things were still awesome, but ever so slightly, the trajectory had changed. We were confused by the reaction to the OJ verdict, but it was just a blip on the radar. The fun 80s music got grittier. The rap of our youth turned into gangsta rap with NWA and Public Enemy, but we listened to Dre and Snoop, and then Busta and Luda. It was still fun. The hair bands gave way to Grunge and we loved Pear Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, Bush, etc. In 1994, we went to our first Final Four. In 1996, we reached the mountaintop and chanted "We're Number One" long enough and loud enough for all the loyal Gator fans in heaven to hear us.

All this time, cars and houses were affordable. Good jobs were plentiful. College (UF anyway) was affordable.

For me, that era was Peak America.

Am I wrong? Was it the 50s? Is my 17 year too long? What do you think?

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
All this because CD had to make a post about bad 80's bands and Alex goes off the deep end.
:shakehead: @Detroitgator posted hits from the 80’s in the chat and it declined from there.
I might have mentioned that I liked Reo Speedwagon and there could have been some strong opinions.

Back to the OP - if I had to pick the best 17 year stretch in my lifetime, I’d agree with Alex.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I agree with Alex. I had the good fortune of being born in 1975, and I witnessed the glory days. I envy my parents (born in the 1940s), whom I believe had it even better. And I feel so guilty for having my son in 2008, because he's now going to live the fall-out that results from our ignorance.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We were freer.

Comedy was funnier.

TV was better.

I’m not saying Baywatch was worth watching, but we were FREE to put it on the air. Same goes for the SI swimsuit edition.

We weren’t cancelled for hurting some feelings. We were quicker to laugh and easier to forgive.

Bud Light’s mascot was Spuds McKenzie, not a tranny.

Can you imagine the fcuking Houthis tryna shut down the Red Sea in 1993? Or the Chinese fcuking with the Spratleys?

We got our licenses the day we turned 15 (restricted).

We didn’t have to pretend that Lizzo was hot.

Think of how many great 80s movies could never be made today?

We are less free.

And that sucks.

Alex.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Tl;dr

Might read later if I cant fall asleep

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Alex’s post got me reminiscing so I decided to write about some of my youth. I’ll finish it later but I think I’m off to a good start. What do you think?

It was 1989, my thoughts were short my hair was long
Caught somewhere between a girl and woman
He was seventeen and he was far from in-between
It was summertime in Northern Michigan
Ahh Ahh Ahh
Ahh Ahh Ahh
Splashing through the sand bar
Talking by the campfire
It's the simple things in life, like when and where
We didn't have no internet
But man I never will forget
The way the moonlight shined upon his hair

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I might have mentioned that I liked Reo Speedwagon and there could have been some strong opinions.
it's okay.

but I'm taking you home. then get out of my Cordoba.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:shakehead: @Detroitgator posted hits from the 80’s in the chat and it declined from there.

Back to the OP - if I had to pick the best 17 year stretch in my lifetime, I’d agree with Alex.

Per Rule, what happens in the Barbershop stays in the Barbershop (exceptions apply)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
it's okay.

but I'm taking you home. then get out of my Cordoba.
Mean Girls No GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
When was Peak America?

I used to believe things got better and better for us. Sure, we'd hit a little bump in the road here and there, but things were always getting better.

I don't believe that anymore.

Things are worse today than when I was in high school and college and not just because I'm older. They're just worse.

When was Peak America?

Imma say '82 to '99.

By '82, we had Reagan in the White House replacing the era of stagflation and malaise (Jimmy Carter) with pride and patriotism and American values. The hostages were home. The longest economic boom in our history was getting started. The Gators were good.

We were the good guys and the whole world knew it. The Soviets were the bad guys. This made the Olympics fun and movies better (Top Gun, Rocky 4, Red Dawn). Speaking of which, our military was focused on beating the Soviets, not on sex change operations and DEI. Our senior leadership were platoon and company commanders in Vietnam--they were warriors, not politicians in uniform. We had the Eagle, the Fighting Falcon, and the Tomcat (later the Hornet). We were a generation ahead in night vision and we were the only nation on Earth with a stealth capability. We had iron-willed allies like Margaret Thatcher. We had a Pope who loved God and hated commies. We had basic cable, some of us had MTV, and we probably knew somebody who had HBO. There were no "devices" and no social media (but the Walkman was great). The music was fun. We wore parachute pants or a white jacket like Miami Vice. Sugar Hill Gang invented rap and we listened to Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. We used mousse in our big hair and listened to New Wave. We got Dan Marino, the Super Bowl Shuffle, and the Lakers versus the Celtics. We were free to roam on our bikes until the street lights came on. We were free-range kids and there were no helicopter parents. When we were too young to go to clubs, we scammed on chicks at the mall or at the beach. China was weak and maybe not our ally, but at least closer to us than they were to the Soviets.

The only downside? The daily fear that WWIII could start at any moment and destroy civilization as we knew it.

Then we got HW Bush and the fall of the Iron Curtain. We were euphoric. Most thought they'd never see the day. Germany reunited, the fall of the Soviet Union, we won without firing a shot (sorta). We didn't have to worry about Armageddon. We dazzled the world in the Gulf War. Russia was an afterthought. We weren't just the leader of the free world, we were the leader of the whole world. Everybody on the planet wanted levis, coke, and rock n roll. John Hughes was the voice of our generation. After a sh!tty run due to probation, a man named Spurrier came back to Gainesville and started collecting SEC Championships and scoring records. The Braves were good. Race relations were better. Bill Cosby was America's Dad. Every housewife loved Oprah. Rodney King happened, but that was an aberration, not the norm.

Then we got Bill Clinton who (with Newt Gingrich looming over his shoulder) told us "the era of big government was over". We reaped the benefit of the "peace dividend" and the invention of the internet. We wanted to Be Like Mike, and we watched a kid named Tiger golf. Seinfeld revolutionized TV. We had the Simpsons and movies that mirrored our angst. We didn't know it, but we were passed the top of the peak. Things were still awesome, but ever so slightly, the trajectory had changed. We were confused by the reaction to the OJ verdict, but it was just a blip on the radar. The fun 80s music got grittier. The rap of our youth turned into gangsta rap with NWA and Public Enemy, but we listened to Dre and Snoop, and then Busta and Luda. It was still fun. The hair bands gave way to Grunge and we loved Pear Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, Bush, etc. In 1994, we went to our first Final Four. In 1996, we reached the mountaintop and chanted "We're Number One" long enough and loud enough for all the loyal Gator fans in heaven to hear us.

All this time, cars and houses were affordable. Good jobs were plentiful. College (UF anyway) was affordable.

For me, that era was Peak America.

Am I wrong? Was it the 50s? Is my 17 year too long? What do you think?

Alex.

Great points.

I do think if feminine hygiene had been up to snuff, the roaring 20’s really have a hat in the ring. Women just really dropped the ball with that. But post-war(major), alcohol was illegal but that just added to the fun and mystique and some great cocktails emerged. Men wore suits and ties everywhere. Women were classy but obviously could’ve flipped a switch when needed. Great time, imo.

And I’ve always been fascinated with the 1880-1920 range as well just because of the changes and advancement seen.

Otherwise it’s probably the 80s/90s as you and other have suggested.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
America started its long decline into oblivion in 1963 when we let the Beatles play at Shea Stadium. I won't say the 50s were the high point of the Republic but...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Great points.

I do think if feminine hygiene had been up to snuff, the roaring 20’s really have a hat in the ring. Women just really dropped the ball with that. But post-war(major), alcohol was illegal but that just added to the fun and mystique and some great cocktails emerged. Men wore suits and ties everywhere. Women were classy but obviously could’ve flipped a switch when needed. Great time, imo.

And I’ve always been fascinated with the 1880-1920 range as well just because of the changes and advancement seen.

Otherwise it’s probably the 80s/90s as you and other have suggested.
You've been watching Midnight in Paris again, haven't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.