Pepper sauce

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
NOLA is spot on recipe wise. Smoking the peppers can add a ton of flavor. Or buy chipotle for you heathens. Let it sit to develop flavor. You can strain out seeds if you like. A good mix of the peppers will deepen the flavor. Dem StAug datil’s are effing hot ;)
Greens, anything fried, nuttin better. Blackened shrimp and grits with bacon and tasso just begs for a good hot sauce and corn bread.

Made some pepper burgers a few weeks ago. When they hit the griddle I thought I was gassed

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'm not sure I've seen too many jars with a mouth too small to fit a Tabasco or cayenne pepper.

And really that's talking chopping, not dicing which is an entirely different semantic argument.

As it relates to the vinegar semantics, you might note that both the commercial product and recipe you provided for pepper vinegar show whole peppers and neither include sugar. Also both the commercial product and recipe say that you can continue to make more by simply topping the bottle off with more vinegar. That's because really that's all pepper vinegar is... Vinegar infused with pepper flavor. It's just a liquid like any other vinegar, e.g. apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc...

Is this your culinary or food science perspective?

You have not even gotten into the scoville scale, pH, top notes...how ripe (age) the peppers are. Whole, diced, minced, pureed...has a huge flavor impact. As does cooked, fried, smoked, sautéed, raw...

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
I'm not as up on recipes as some of you are. My Pepper Vinegar is simple.... I use Apple Cider Vinegar with home grown Tabasco Peppers. Anyone who says all peppers are the same is off their rocker. Even peppers of the same type can have vastly different and complex flavors. I collect and try peppers from many sources and when I find "that" right one, I stock up. I still have some bottles inherited from my Daddy when he passed in 2005. I just keep adding vinegar when the peppers uncover.

Good stuff....

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'm not as up on recipes as some of you are. My Pepper Vinegar is simple.... I use Apple Cider Vinegar with home grown Tabasco Peppers. Anyone who says all peppers are the same is off their rocker. Even peppers of the same type can have vastly different and complex flavors. I collect and try peppers from many sources and when I find "that" right one, I stock up. I still have some bottles inherited from my Daddy when he passed in 2005.

Good stuff....

So true.
You can vastly change the flavoring and heat levels with minor changes...please share when you can

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
CD asked what I put Pepper Vinegar on............. Just about any vegetable or bean dish but my absolute favorite is on Chicken and Rice. The old timers called chicken and rice Chicken Perleu (I doubt thats spelled right). Chicken was cleaned, quartered and boiled skin on. The rice was usually partially cooked before adding the chicken for the last 20 minutes or so. The only spices I remember was salt, heavy on black pepper, little bit of garlic and a dash of paprika. (may have had a dash of sage also)

####### I forgot, de-bone and shred the chicken before putting it in the rice..... Silly me....

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My wife tells me about her grandmother making her homemade chow chow. So hot that she had to wear rubber gloves while mixing it.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I made a chicken tender for a customer that was made with oleocapiscum @ 1.5 Mil Scoville Units. It had warning labels.
It was for a football season LTO...they pulled it after 1 week...too hot for the average consumer.
We tried to warn them...how it passed the taste panels is still a mystery?
The Chef kept insisting...hotter

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I made a chicken tender for a customer that was made with oleocapiscum @ 1.5 Mil Scoville Units. It had warning labels.
It was for a football season LTO...they pulled it after 1 week...too hot for the average consumer.
We tried to warn them...how it passed the taste panels is still a mystery?
The Chef kept insisting...hotter
Remember being at a wing place with a friend who was always complaining about the wings being wimpy. Chef went across the street to an asian place and got an assortment of their hottest peppers for a special sauce. Friend made through 4, said JFC those are good, but I think they just ate through my stomach lining. When they were delivered by a guy wearing gloves, ;)

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Well, Edmund McIlhenny invented it in 1868 on Avery Island, Louisiana.

Most of Louisiana uses Louisiana Hot Sauce...Crystals might be #2
All real 'mericans use tabasco. Marine General and all.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
All real 'mericans use tabasco. Marine General and all.
Well they may not know any better.
Hot sauce is like sex...it's all individual preference AND it's all good.
Tabasco has a distinctive flavor...fact.. and it's trademarked.
Use what you like.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Well they may not know any better.
Hot sauce is like sex...it's all individual preference AND it's all good.
Tabasco has a distinctive flavor...fact.. and it's trademarked.
Use what you like.
That would imply Liberty and Freedom. How unwoke can you be?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
That would imply Liberty and Freedom. How unwoke can you be?
Brother...I'm one of those Evengelacals...we don't come more Un-WOKE.

I've even been told my scripture quoting is offensive to some on GC...and has even driven people away... imagine that...Truth, Love, and Morality is offensive?

But hay, we were talking hot sauce vs Tabasco vs flavored vinegar.

Faith, Freedom, Liberty, and the American way... with any condiment that fills your sails
Happy We Did It GIF by Storyful

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Brother...I'm one of those Evengelacals...we don't come more Un-WOKE.

I've even been told my scripture quoting is offensive to some on GC...and has even driven people away... imagine that...Truth, Love, and Morality is offensive?

But hay, we were talking hot sauce vs Tabasco vs flavored vinegar.

Faith, Freedom, Liberty, and the American way... with any condiment that fills your sails
Happy We Did It GIF by Storyful
You know what is really good. Biscuits and sausage milk gravy with Tabasco sauce. Just yesterday after men's prayer. Oh, and greens (I like a mix of turnips and collards cooked down with ham hocks) with pepper sauce mixed together with mashed potatoes (made with butter and cream).

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You know what is really good. Biscuits and sausage milk gravy with Tabasco sauce. Just yesterday after men's prayer. Oh, and greens (I like a mix of turnips and collards cooked down with ham hocks) with pepper sauce mixed together with mashed potatoes (made with butter and cream).
I'd be big as a house...that sounds awesome.
My step-son puts hot sauce or Tony's Chachere's on EVERYTHING.
Note: the spicier you make your food, the more spice will be needed to aquire the same desired effect in the future...it's called accommodation...you burn out your taste buds.
Hence for some.. it never seems hot/spicy enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.