Pepper sauce

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I bought some pepper seeds from you know where. Pckge was 25 cents. I think it said they were mild. They grew sort of long and green and eventually turn red. Look like the Chili's logo. My nephew makes pepper sauce. For the unsouthern it is a vinager based liquid to sprinkle on greens and cabbage and other southern dishes that look like collards. Well, from memory, I diced some up and put them in a jar with vinagar and a little sugar. Was about to visit the interweb for more advice and thought, Why Not Here..............any ADvice on making this concoction.??

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds about right Coach. To make it really southern authentic you have to make it in an old whiskey bottle, preferably with a cork. I do the vinegar and sugar like you mention, but bring it to a boil, let cool just a tad, and then pour into the vessel. Seems to help draw out the attitude of the peppers. Sounds like you used Cayenne peppers, a great choice. I’ve also used Birdeye and Rooster Spur. My grandaddy ate it on about any vegetable and always made it in an Ezra Brooks bottle (his brand).

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First of all, you’re posting on a Gator board. Everyone here is southern.

Secondly, this is when we need Cross Creek back to give the absolute best advice.

Finally, if you find yourself with extra sauce, I’ll send you my address.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’ve never made my own but I love it on my greens. There is a local southern restaurant in Lexington that keeps a bottle on the table with whole jalapeños in it. When Lil Seedy was about 5 he asked why they had frogs in the bottle. :lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I bought some pepper seeds from you know where. Pckge was 25 cents. I think it said they were mild. They grew sort of long and green and eventually turn red. Look like the Chili's logo. My nephew makes pepper sauce. For the unsouthern it is a vinager based liquid to sprinkle on greens and cabbage and other southern dishes that look like collards. Well, from memory, I diced some up and put them in a jar with vinagar and a little sugar. Was about to visit the interweb for more advice and thought, Why Not Here..............any ADvice on making this concoction.??
Salt.

Alex.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
1 lb.
Fresh Chiles, Such As Jalapeno, Serrano, Fresno, Poblano, Habanero, Or A Mix
Your pepper choice is key
You can also smoke/grill your peppers

1 tbsp...I tend to use more
Minced Garlic
You can also smoke/grill your garlic
1/2 c.
Diced Onion
You can also smoke/grill your onions
2 tbsp.
Kosher Salt
1 1/2 c.
Distilled White Vinegar
You can also add a 1 tbsp of liquid smoke

Pulse chiles, garlic, onions and kosher salt in a food processor until you have a rough puree (Or hand dice) Transfer to a 1-quart glass gar, loosely cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.

Add vinegar, stir and loosely cover. Let stand at room temperature for 1 to 7 days. The longer you let it stand, the more the flavor develops.
McElhanney's Tabasco Sauce uses charcoal whiskey barrels and cures for months

Pour mixture into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Store in the refrigerator up to 4 months.

Note: Hot sauce may separate. This is normal; shake before use.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Love me some Pepper Vinegar.

@Jake from State Farm nailed it. The concoction @stephenPE speaks of is NOT "pepper sauce" because it is pepper vinegar. Pepper sauce is usually ketchup/tomato based like...
1659625844983.png or 1659625920110.png

This is the stuff @stephenPE speaks of...
1659626022563.png

except the above is with Datil peppers, or Dat'l peppers, while he probably used...
1659626185393.png

While I take offense to the terminology, here's a pretty good article on making pepper vinegar, or "sauce"...

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I did remember the salt but didnt boil it first. Good on cabbage if you dont consider it greens.
We always called it pepper sauce and when you ask it by that name in N Fla they give you that.
Its like crappie and speckled perch. Down here they are speckled perch.
So it should be called pepper ketchup tomato sauce..........if it aint with vinager........we called that hot sauce. And they bring us that download (2).jpeg thats what I got when I googled hot sauce.........when I googled pepper sauce this was the first image............. images.jpeg

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can have a vinegar based pepper sauce.

Pepper vinegar would just be vinegar infused with pepper flavor and wouldn't have the peppers diced or sugar added.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You can have a vinegar based pepper sauce.

Pepper vinegar would just be vinegar infused with pepper flavor and wouldn't have the peppers diced or sugar added.

Agreed. But the way he described it in the OP, I believe he's talking about pepper vinegar. Most everybody adds sugar to their pepper vinegar and the act of dicing the peppers is often done to get them to fit into a small mouth jar.

And he probably grew some tabasco peppers...
1659626555721.png

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Well, Edmund McIlhenny invented it in 1868 on Avery Island, Louisiana.

Most of Louisiana uses Louisiana Hot Sauce...Crystals might be #2

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But the way he described it in the OP, I believe he's talking about pepper vinegar.
Because he diced the peppers making them part of the sauce, I would say it's pepper sauce or maybe pepper relish, and not pepper vinegar.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Because he diced the peppers making them part of the sauce, I would say it's pepper sauce or maybe pepper relish, and not pepper vinegar.
Not pepper relish. That is a whole other thing and usually has multiple type peppers in it along with onions.

You can call whatever you want.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Agreed. But the way he described it in the OP, I believe he's talking about pepper vinegar. Most everybody adds sugar to their pepper vinegar and the act of dicing the peppers is often done to get them to fit into a small mouth jar.

And he probably grew some tabasco peppers...
View attachment 46769

edited for clarity.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
edited for clarity.
I'm not sure I've seen too many jars with a mouth too small to fit a Tabasco or cayenne pepper.

And really that's talking chopping, not dicing which is an entirely different semantic argument.

As it relates to the vinegar semantics, you might note that both the commercial product and recipe you provided for pepper vinegar show whole peppers and neither include sugar. Also both the commercial product and recipe say that you can continue to make more by simply topping the bottle off with more vinegar. That's because really that's all pepper vinegar is... Vinegar infused with pepper flavor. It's just a liquid like any other vinegar, e.g. apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc...

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm not sure I've seen too many jars with a mouth too small to fit a Tabasco or cayenne pepper.

And really that's talking chopping, not dicing which is an entirely different semantic argument.

As it relates to the vinegar semantics, you might note that both the commercial product and recipe you provided for pepper vinegar show whole peppers and neither include sugar. Also both the commercial product and recipe say that you can continue to make more by simply topping the bottle off with more vinegar. That's because really that's all pepper vinegar is... Vinegar infused with pepper flavor. It's just a liquid like any other vinegar, e.g. apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc...

Except that a bunch of people in the South add sugar to the vinegar. The recipe was just a quick google search.
And whether you put the pepper in whole or chopped, or diced, it doesn't change the viscosity of the vinegar.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And whether you put the pepper in whole or chopped, or diced, it doesn't change the viscosity of the vinegar
But it does change whether you are using pepper vinegar or whether you've incorporated pickled peppers into your vinegar to make a sauce

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.