Phil Steele put out HIS top 30: UF #9

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
First off, Phil Steele knows his sh*t. Period, end of discussion. I don't care if he missed a few picks here and there, it happens. If you follow any of the pundits who do what he does, he is - by miles and miles - the best in the business. Athlons, Sporting News, Lindy's, etc they are all fighting for 2nd best behind Steele. Everything Steele does is about Gambling/Betting/Making Money/Etc. There's no favoritism at all. He's very black and white in his method.

Anyhow, he just released his published magazine yesterday. He doesn't have the link yet on his webpage. But here's a link you have to click through:

http://florida.247sports.com/Gallery/Phil-Steeles-top-preseason-college-football-teams-53149165

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. FSU
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Clemson
9. Florida
10. Wisconsin
11. Miami
12. Auburn
13. LSU
14. Stanford
15. Oklahoma State
16. Michigan
17. Louisville
18. USF
19. Notre Dame
20. TCU
21. Texas
22. UGA
23. Oregon
24. Kansas State
25. Va Tech
26. NC State
27. BYU
28. Northwestern
29. UCLA
30. Tennessee

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
First off, Phil Steele knows his sh*t. Period, end of discussion. I don't care if he missed a few picks here and there, it happens. If you follow any of the pundits who do what he does, he is - by miles and miles - the best in the business. Athlons, Sporting News, Lindy's, etc they are all fighting for 2nd best behind Steele. Everything Steele does is about Gambling/Betting/Making Money/Etc. There's no favoritism at all. He's very black and white in his method.

Anyhow, he just released his published magazine yesterday. He doesn't have the link yet on his webpage. But here's a link you have to click through:

http://florida.247sports.com/Gallery/Phil-Steeles-top-preseason-college-football-teams-53149165

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. FSU
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Clemson
9. Florida
10. Wisconsin
11. Miami
12. Auburn
13. LSU
14. Stanford
15. Oklahoma State
16. Michigan
17. Louisville
18. USF
19. Notre Dame
20. TCU
21. Texas
22. UGA
23. Oregon
24. Kansas State
25. Va Tech
26. NC State
27. BYU
28. Northwestern
29. UCLA
30. Tennessee

Steele probably does the most comprehensive analysis of each team and of each unit within that team. As you said he isn't always correct, but he is objective in how he determines his rankings.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess he didn't take into consideration that Stoops stepped down :rolleyes3:

(I know, I know - timing)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I guess he didn't take into consideration that Stoops stepped down :rolleyes3:

(I know, I know - timing)

I'm guessing the magazine was already printed before Stoops made the announcement last week. He may (or may not) update it when he posts it on his website....

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure how a guy as smart as Steele predicts us to be that high. I guess all we need is to find a QB, our OC to suddenly become competent and to remain injury free on the OL, DT and LB.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not sure how a guy as smart as Steele predicts us to be that high. I guess all we need is to find a QB, our OC to suddenly become competent and to remain injury free on the OL, DT and LB.

I tend to agree. I thought he'd have us just inside the top 20. I'd like to see the write up he has on us. But honestly, if the QB position pans out we could be much improved on that side of the ball.....hopefully! :D

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Pssh why would we listen to Steele when we have a donkey?

Swamp Donkey >>> Phil Steele

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Even if we stay completely healthy at DT, Clark and Bryan will be rotated. They can't play every snap on D. Polite will come in on obvious passing situations but he is too small to play run downs. That means 2 of the true freshman will play significant snaps which is a huge problem unless they surprise. Most true freshman DTs struggle because of strength and technique issues.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I respect Phil Steele and his rankings. That being said this is very generous.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Even if we stay completely healthy at DT, Clark and Bryan will be rotated. They can't play every snap on D. Polite will come in on obvious passing situations but he is too small to play run downs. That means 2 of the true freshman will play significant snaps which is a huge problem unless they surprise. Most true freshman DTs struggle because of strength and technique issues.
So Jefferson can't play downs at DT anymore?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to say. It will mostly come down to the QB and how the DTs hold up during the season. I would probably have Auburn ahead of us just due to their QB situation now. I wouldn't have Penn State that high either.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. FSU
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Clemson
9. Florida
10. Wisconsin
11. Miami
12. Auburn
13. LSU
14. Stanford
15. Oklahoma State
16. Michigan
17. Louisville
18. USF
19. Notre Dame
20. TCU
21. Texas
22. UGA
23. Oregon
24. Kansas State
25. Va Tech
26. NC State
27. BYU
28. Northwestern
29. UCLA
30. Tennessee
If we are ranked that high...then beat Michigan sh*t could get interesting (in a good way) for once! #ChompChomp

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I guess he thinks our QB will be good, cause that's the only rational reason I would think we would be that high. Believe it when I see it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am confident we can beat Michigan. They do not scare me. We have a good roster.

I am also confident that we can beat Michigan. I'm just not confident that we will beat them. Mac is a mixed bag. There's good and bad, so they cancel each other out and you don't know what you have, which is why we have so many pumpers and negators arguing here. This is the year for Mac to finally have more good and bad and show that he is capable of significantly improving this team. Steele obviously thinks he will. I hope he's right.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am also confident that we can beat Michigan. I'm just not confident that we will beat them. Mac is a mixed bag. There's good and bad, so they cancel each other out and you don't know what you have, which is why we have so many pumpers and negators arguing here. This is the year for Mac to finally have more good and bad and show that he is capable of significantly improving this team. Steele obviously thinks he will. I hope he's right.

There will still be a ton of excuses if this offense fails again....

But I agree w/ you. This is HIS team. He's filled the holes how he's felt appropriate and these QBs are "his" 100%.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is Phil Steele biased against Grier or something? West Virginia not in his top 30 while they make the top 25 of most polls I have seen. They were an Oklahoma win away from winning the Big 12 last season.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The scenarios in which we end up in the 10th range are slim. Starting off the season in the high teens. Maybe one regular season loss and miss the SECCG. Win a bowl game. Mid teens at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator