Points or experience? Perception vs. preparedness

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'd like to know how this board feels about this topic in the first 2 or hopefully 3 games. Would you rather see us push hard to win by as many points possible waiting until the 4th quarter to put a lot of subs in or settle for say a 25-30 point win and pull the starters, say at the beginning of the 3rd, to gain experience for talented but un experienced players. I'm not talking about positions where there are ongoing position battles, only positions like Driskel, Hargreaves, Fowler and such that have proven starters.
Or in your mind do we need to raise the perception of poll voters, while getting bigger stats for our starters, by blowing people out by 45-50 points. What do you think ? Blowouts by 50 or experience for 2's and 3's?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First 3 games, get as many guys some experience as possible while still getting the decisive and impressive win. After that, the gloves come off. Nobody in the SEC is going to feel sorry for the Gators.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much agree with Navet , we've got a talented team but a lot of inexperience. Imho getting the Frosh and Redshirts game experience is more important than completely running up scores. Also, from what I've read I think a lot of the Frosh WILL get PT if they keep performing the way they have so far. But we definitely need to get the Qb's who are gonna backup some PT.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think you let Driskel get the extra reps. Let him pad his stats and boost his confidence. He doesn't perform at the high level as hargraves and Fowler do at their positions.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We need QUALITY depth, as last year proved. I say get as many players valuable minutes as you can in the second half of the first 2 games. I wouldn't mind seeing the starters sitting on the sidelines after halftime of both games, as long as we have a comfortable lead of about 21 points or so.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope our players don't have this mentality. How many 20 point half time leads have we had since muschamp has been here?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n26259 said:
I hope our players don't have this mentality. How many 20 point half time leads have we had since muschamp has been here?

Not many, but we didn't have Roper as our OC either. We had "lets go on a nature walk" Easy Peasey.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Margin of victory is a heinously overrated stat, but I hope we put Idaho's dicks in the dirt. But if it gets to the 4th quarter and the game is in hand, pull the starters immediately. No point in leaving them in when our depth is not the greatest.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Margin of victory is a heinously overrated stat, but I hope we put Idaho's dicks in the dirt. But if it gets to the 4th quarter and the game is in hand, pull the starters immediately. No point in leaving them in when our depth is not the greatest.
Agreed except I hope we leave their dicks alone

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n26275 said:

I agree about margin of victory but I will be worried if we still have any 1's or 2's on the field in the 4th of the Idaho game. I am mostly wondering if we're up say 30-0 at half and we start playing all 2's and 3's and the final is 40-10 if the fan base starts to grumble that Champ didn't hang half a hundred on them. I would rather see a lot of our 2's and 3's in the second half as long as we won by 30.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
sonomagator said:
Pretty much agree with Navet , we've got a talented team but a lot of inexperience. Imho getting the Frosh and Redshirts game experience is more important than completely running up scores. Also, from what I've read I think a lot of the Frosh WILL get PT if they keep performing the way they have so far. But we definitely need to get the Qb's who are gonna backup some PT.
I would love to see 2 or all 3 of the back up QB's rotate every series.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator said:
We need QUALITY depth, as last year proved. I say get as many players valuable minutes as you can in the second half of the first 2 games. I wouldn't mind seeing the starters sitting on the sidelines after halftime of both games, as long as we have a comfortable lead of about 21 points or so.
I agree about the depth but if we only have a 21 point lead and it stays in that range some of the fan base won't be happy.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n26300 said:
I agree about margin of victory but I will be worried if we still have any 1's or 2's on the field in the 4th of the Idaho game. I am mostly wondering if we're up say 30-0 at half and we start playing all 2's and 3's and the final is 40-10 if the fan base starts to grumble that Champ didn't hang half a hundred on them. I would rather see a lot of our 2's and 3's in the second half as long as we won by 30.

Long term health of the starters FAR outweighs margin of victory, especially after last season. Hell, guys like Nick Saban will sit starters the entire 2nd half if it's obvious the game is out of hand at halftime.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i'll take both... 30 or 40 at halftime and pull starters!:yes:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n26300 said:

I think most fans will take 40-10 because you put your backups in the entire 2nd half, rather than 56-0 and played your starters the whole game. Especially if one of those starters get hurt late after the game's already won.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zook 55 point avg in opening games, Spurrier 48 point avg, Meyer 45 point avg and Muschamp 31 point avg so far. Muschamp needs to open it up and score a lot giving the young guys some experience later in the 2nd half.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
I agree with you guys, our backups should crush the first three opponents. I say get the starters in for the first half / 3 qtrs and run the score up. Then get the backups in and get some experience. Against KY, let's start getting the backups in during the entire game to give them some good game action. Rotate one or two backups in at a time to play with the first teamers. They are going to need the experience at bama in week 4.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n26322 said:
Zook 55 point avg in opening games, Spurrier 48 point avg, Meyer 45 point avg and Muschamp 31 point avg so far. Muschamp needs to open it up and score a lot giving the young guys some experience later in the 2nd half.

Yep, put the backups in, but don't change the play calling. Keep trying to outsmart the defense and let the boys play hard and continue trying to score. Get them some meaningful experience. Don't just kill the rest of the clock.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Or to get hurt playing when the game is in hand. Not only do our folks get experience but our firsts get to rest and avoid injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.