Points or experience? Perception vs. preparedness

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NavetG8r said:
Gator Fever;n26322 said:
Zook 55 point avg in opening games, Spurrier 48 point avg, Meyer 45 point avg and Muschamp 31 point avg so far. Muschamp needs to open it up and score a lot giving the young guys some experience later in the 2nd half.

Yep, put the backups in, but don't change the play calling. Keep trying to outsmart the defense and let the boys play hard and continue trying to score. Get them some meaningful experience. Don't just kill the rest of the clock.
That is one beef I had with Pease or Muschamp or whoever was responsible especially in last years opener. A good team always goes for the kill shot going into halftime. I believe we got a turnover and then went 3 and out without even trying to get in the endzone. I appreciate conservative football myself but when you coach and call plays the way we have recently I think it sets the tone offensively and if your playing a team with half a pulse they might just punch you in the nose before you wake up or worse. Louisiana La. or Ga. Southern ring a bell !!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
Gator Fever;n26322 said:
Zook 55 point avg in opening games, Spurrier 48 point avg, Meyer 45 point avg and Muschamp 31 point avg so far. Muschamp needs to open it up and score a lot giving the young guys some experience later in the 2nd half.

Yep, put the backups in, but don't change the play calling. Keep trying to outsmart the defense and let the boys play hard and continue trying to score. Get them some meaningful experience. Don't just kill the rest of the clock.
Muschamp probably just wanted to run up the middle most downs after getting a 10 point lead.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This thread is crazy. Were talking about resting starters because were to put so many points up that were going to be able to rest them after the first half? We averaged like 18 points a game last year.

:crazy:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n26383 said:
This thread is crazy. Were talking about resting starters because were to put so many points up that were going to be able to rest them after the first half? We averaged like 18 points a game last year.

It's a new year with a new OC and O-Line coach. Embrace it with the masses. You'll feel better.:stars:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n26383 said:

J, just asking a question to pass the time until kickoff. I'm not saying it will or won't happen, I personally believe we have the talent and system to hang 50-60 points in our first 2 games IF our starters played the whole game......I know they wouldn't if that were the case, but what I'm curious to know is what Gator fans would feel if we backed off to get subs playing time. There is no denying that this along with the injuries led to last years debacle. Would you be alright with say a 35-10 win if we were playing 2's and 3's in the 2nd half for the most part......or is it more important for the fans and mental make up of the team to completely blister the Spuds.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's freaking Idaho there's no reason why our 2's and 3's shouldn't be able to hang 50 on them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
GatorJ;n26383 said:

J, just asking a question to pass the time until kickoff. I'm not saying it will or won't happen, I personally believe we have the talent and system to hang 50-60 points in our first 2 games IF our starters played the whole game......I know they wouldn't if that were the case, but what I'm curious to know is what Gator fans would feel if we backed off to get subs playing time. There is no denying that this along with the injuries led to last years debacle. Would you be alright with say a 35-10 win if we were playing 2's and 3's in the 2nd half for the most part......or is it more important for the fans and mental make up of the team to completely blister the Spuds.
Our 2's should be able to hammer Idaho. Our 1's should score 31 by Halftime.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. All the signs seem to be pointing to a greatly improved team and especially offense, but until I see it during a game I won't fully believe it. I think we be about 28-3 at halftime and grab another 3rd quarter touchdown and let the subs play it out. Final of 49-10 or somewhere in that area. I may be way off but I have faith. I'd prefer a lower MOV and more experience though.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSkin;n26410 said:
It's freaking Idaho there's no reason why our 2's and 3's shouldn't be able to hang 50 on them.

This kind of quasi logic just escapes me........

Maybe our 2's and 3's have talent = to Idaho's 1's but they have no experience playing as a unit. Reality says our 2's and 3's need many snaps to gain timing and team-work = lucky to win against Idaho unless we have a huge cushion to work with.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we have the option. I'd be giddy!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;26408 said:
GatorJ;n26383 said:
This thread is crazy. Were talking about resting starters because were to put so many points up that were going to be able to rest them after the first half? We averaged like 18 points a game last year. :crazy:

The first unit needs to spend time together. They're installing a new offense. Maybe subs in 4th or late 4th.

As far as defense, we should be constantly subbing and then begin to to run in 2nd and 3rd team with first team offense late in the 3rd to finish game out.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
JC_Gator;n26415 said:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. All the signs seem to be pointing to a greatly improved team and especially offense, but until I see it during a game I won't fully believe it. I think we be about 28-3 at halftime and grab another 3rd quarter touchdown and let the subs play it out. Final of 49-10 or somewhere in that area. I may be way off but I have faith. I'd prefer a lower MOV and more experience though.

I'm thinking along the same lines.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Turk182;n26416 said:
Maybe our 2's and 3's have talent = to Idaho's 1's but they have no experience playing as a unit. Reality says our 2's and 3's need many snaps to gain timing and team-work = lucky to win against Idaho unless we have a huge cushion to work with.
Best post on this thread so far.....remember players usually don't sub as a whole unit. Cohesively working together is a different animal regardless of talent level. This applies to practice as well as games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n26397 said:
Embrace it with the masses.
You're hilarious. The masses are embracing that's why they can't give away tickets, huh?

Somewhere, on an Idaho forum, they are debating whether they should try to blow us out or just get up by a few scores and run out the clock. Someone else answers, be reasonable. Then someone else notes we are one of the worst teams in Div 1A.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n26416 said:
This kind of quasi logic just escapes me........ Maybe our 2's and 3's have talent = to Idaho's 1's but they have no experience playing as a unit. Reality says our 2's and 3's need many snaps to gain timing and team-work = lucky to win against Idaho unless we have a huge cushion to work with.
My point was Florida should blow out Idaho no matter when we pull our starters, our 2's and 3's should be able to continue scoring on Idaho. Because we're Florida and their Idaho. The fact that we're worried about not scoring enough is embarrassing.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSkin;n26554 said:
My point was Florida should blow out Idaho no matter when we pull our starters, our 2's and 3's should be able to continue scoring on Idaho. Because we're Florida and their Idaho. The fact that we're worried about not scoring enough is embarrassing.

It is embarrassing. It's also not completely unreasonable. We haven't exactly had a high scoring offense in about 5 years. fwiw, I think Roper's going to change all that, but there's no guarantee it's all going to come together this year since it's our first year in a new offense that is completely different than what they were doing for the past couple of years. We're all in wait and see mode.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To even even suggest a team has that much control of the outcome as to be able to "toggle" the throttle is almost ludicrous. Anytime you can put away an opponent early, you do it, regardless how it impacts playing time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n26859]To even even suggest a team has that much control of the outcome as to be able to "toggle" the throttle is almost ludicrous. Anytime you can put away an opponent early, you do it, regardless how it impacts playing time.[/QUOTE]

Of course you put an opponent away as early as possible. Being early in the season there may be a few miscues with the new offense. Say we have to kick a couple of FG's instead of scoring TD's. So say you've got a 27-0 halftime lead.....would you as a fan be OK subbing the entire or most all of the 2nd half knowing we may net a 37-10 win versus "throttling' the opponent with the starters to make a 50-0 score ? One other issue is wear and tear on the starters or the possibility of a season ending injury....or not developing depth in critical positions. Curiously enough someone started a thread a couple of weeks ago saying they thought we needed to score 50 points in the opener to keep the fanbase from wanting to fire Muschamp or something like that....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n26896 said:
Of course you put an opponent away as early as possible. Being early in the season there may be a few miscues with the new offense. Say we have to kick a couple of FG's instead of scoring TD's. So say you've got a 27-0 halftime lead.....would you as a fan be OK subbing the entire or most all of the 2nd half knowing we may net a 37-10 win versus "throttling' the opponent with the starters to make a 50-0 score ? One other issue is wear and tear on the starters or the possibility of a season ending injury....or not developing depth in critical positions. Curiously enough someone started a thread a couple of weeks ago saying they thought we needed to score 50 points in the opener to keep the fanbase from wanting to fire Muschamp or something like that....

Unless you're up by 54 at the half, you keep the starters in until the clock indicates there aren't enough possessions left for the opponent to get back in the game. Even then, turnovers can change the equation.

My thread from a week ago put up for question whether Muschamp's team had what it takes to put away a cupcake opponent, not where and when it made sense to let off the gas and let the starters rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.