Pumpers vs Dumpers! Part Deux

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Hopeful vs realists.

I disagree with your 'realists'. I'll wholly agree the pumper side is 'hopeful', as that's where I've resided for most of my football fandom. However, every situation has two points of view (the extremes) and the reality falls somewhere in between. For that to hold true, the other end of the spectrum from 'hopeful' is 'hopeless' or 'pessimistic'. Realists would actually be somewhere in the middle. I'm arguing semantics, so I'll drop it.

I will say, for myself, I'm no longer in the 'hopeful' camp. I'm not optimistic or pissimistic. I'm just in a burnt out 'meh' mindset. If the future becomes bad (can't be worse, HA!), I won't let it bother me - but at the same time I'm not going to believe it will be much better. I'm not jumping to the other side, either, in that I'm not going to assume or make statements about how bad things will be. On the spectrum from hopeful-realist-pessimist, I find myself on the sideline under the 'apathetic' category.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Survived? It's Mississippi Freaking State. What were they going to do, fire him? He's the epitome of mediocre. There's a reason he stayed in Starkeville for 9 years and it wasn't because he had hopes of making MSU a National Title Contender.

Message boards are great about making assumptions on things we have no clue to. The CK contract situation is the most perfect example.

I'll agree he didn't make MSU a NC contender, but who ever has at that school? Who possibly could? I'd agree he 'survived' there, as I think he did better than most at a school facing all those handicaps, but there is a ceiling to accept - by both the school and the coach. Was he at his ceiling? Maybe. Was he at the school's ceiling? Maybe, but I think that one is true.

They weren't going to fire him, he was the best that had happened to them, and they accepted being 3-4th best in the West is their ceiling. He left, for a program with more potential. I'm guessing he doesn't think that MSU level success was his ceiling.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think we need another category... maybe "whatevers" . Or double Ns (novacain numb). Or just apathetic?
I found myself as both a pumper and dumper starting with Muschamp.
I don't think it's possible to be a "realist" and be a fan too. I guess maybe a "realist" is somewhere between dumpster Fire and kumbaya?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Isn't not being a fan of the hire passing judgement?

Yep. Thats where the majority of fans were at when the hire was made. I actually made a post saying Ox should ban anyone who advocated Kiffen or Mullen......oh well. Here we are. Now, I am holding out hope he makes me eat my words and I have to say how wrong I was. Still not thrilled but not a damn thing I say or do will ever change anything....

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Isn't not being a fan of the hire passing judgement?
Not at all. Opine away.... but it's as if your brother just got married and you don't like the bride. Are you gonna hold a grudge the whole time until the inevitable divorce? Or are you going to open your heart to your new Cousin Eddie?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not at all. Opine away.... but it's as if your brother just got married and you don't like the bride. Are you gonna hold a grudge the whole time until the inevitable divorce? Or are you going to open your heart to your new Cousin Eddie?
You got me. I'm hoping he works out.

I'm also hoping that this past season was our nadir.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Are the pumpers and dumpers going to follow the same party lines of old? I am officially a "Mullens" Pumper. I have a feeling that all the old Pumpers will coalesce. Long live the Pumpers, down with the Dumpers. SEC SEC SEC

I’m feeling left out, as are many others on this board. You neglected to include our group...the realists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.