Random Post game thoughts

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
- I thought we had lost for sure. I can't believe we won.
- I found myself frustrated with McElwain much of the game. The time out calls that put us in worse situations on at least 2 instances and almost lost the game. Also, it doesn't seem like we have anybody on staff that is aware that reviews need to be made on plays.
- Watching Grier was frustrating. He isn't a great downfield passer. He gets rid of the ball so fast, which typically would be good, but he doesn't let things develop and can't wait long enough to throw a downfield pass.
- All the 4th down plays were incredible. Kudos for making big plays and executing them.
- In spite of the spotty play, give Grier credit for handing in there the whole game.
- Defense played well, mostly, apart from giving up on some gadget plays.

I am not sure how to feel. I had just given up, then they came charging back, and I was elated when the field goal was missed. Then totally deflated that Mac called timeout. I am relieved that the guy missed again but that elation quickly went away with that timeout.

Next 4 games are going to be brutal.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Mac also took advantage of Butch's timeouts on multiple occasions. There was a lot wrong with this game but the fourth quarter was incredible. Grier put on some big boy pants today. Those TD drives were not freshman-like drives.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I agree with everything except the defense playing well. They played well enough obviously, but Ive never seen so many missed tackles, overpersuit, bad angles to the ball carrier, high arm tackling.....it was a mess. How many yards did they give up rushing....400 or so? But Im exstatic with the win, going to enjoy it and know the coaches will correct all the crap I just said.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Defense was horrid. What game were you watching? They got gashed all day. The offense was worse...until the 4th quarter. How we won this game, I have no idea and I watched every second of it. :lol:
I should be whipped because I had given up. Thankfully, our team didn't and made the plays they had to for the improbable comeback. They gotta feel pretty damned good right now about the way they fought.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Gatormac2112;n286123 said:
I agree with everything except the defense playing well. They played well enough obviously, but Ive never seen so many missed tackles, overpersuit, bad angles to the ball carrier, high arm tackling.....it was a mess. How many yards did they give up rushing....400 or so? But Im exstatic with the win, going to enjoy it and know the coaches will correct all the crap I just said.

I agree on missed tackles. It is actually something I have noticed the whole year.

ChompTown

G8R B8
Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2015
MJMGator;n286125 said:
Defense was horrid. What game were you watching? They got gashed all day. The offense was worse...until the 4th quarter. How we won this game, I have no idea and I watched every second of it. :lol:
I should be whipped because I had given up. Thankfully, our team didn't and made the plays they had to for the improbable comeback. They gotta feel pretty damned good right now about the way they fought.

:whip:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Swamped Gator;n286120 said:
Mac also took advantage of Butch's timeouts on multiple occasions. There was a lot wrong with this game but the fourth quarter was incredible. Grier put on some big boy pants today. Those TD drives were not freshman-like drives.

I have been a big Grier proponent, but I would have pulled him for Treon, if Treon were available. But I'll give him credit, Grier is a gamer, and keeps on trucking. He doesn't get rattled, and he never gives up.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n286109 said:
- I thought we had lost for sure. I can't believe we won.
- I found myself frustrated with McElwain much of the game. The time out calls that put us in worse situations on at least 2 instances and almost lost the game. Also, it doesn't seem like we have anybody on staff that is aware that reviews need to be made on plays.
- Watching Grier was frustrating. He isn't a great downfield passer. He gets rid of the ball so fast, which typically would be good, but he doesn't let things develop and can't wait long enough to throw a downfield pass.
- All the 4th down plays were incredible. Kudos for making big plays and executing them.
- In spite of the spotty play, give Grier credit for handing in there the whole game.
- Defense played well, mostly, apart from giving up on some gadget plays.

I am not sure how to feel. I had just given up, then they came charging back, and I was elated when the field goal was missed. Then totally deflated that Mac called timeout. I am relieved that the guy missed again but that elation quickly went away with that timeout.

Next 4 games are going to be brutal.

Feel with your hands, that always works. Now there is plenty of room for improvement, but without game film and knowing what call was on it is difficult to know.

We never gave up, even when the Refs were working for the Voles.

I agree with the Time out at the end, but it is a coaching idea.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Defense took the night off/calloway is an absolute stud^/offensive playcalling has to improve /grier is a gamer/mac post game interview he spoke about my popcorn /great game for the recruits to see

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Missed tackles.
Balls coming like bricks. Catches happened in spite of no finesse on the ball.
Decent discipline on both lines..
Took nearly 3/4 of the game to come together and play like they know each other.
Oh, and . . . we won!!!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatormac2112;n286123 said:
This is what got us. Missed tackles has always been a bur in our saddle. Maybe a little bit more this year.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I can only imagine the distraction the whole Treon/Tabor thing was in the locker room all week. Especially heading into a HUGE game. They made the plays when they had to and don't discount all the good things the UT players did. They played hard in a tough environment.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier has no fear
Nor time to throw usually
We do run routes down the field now
Offensive line still offensive on most plays
Defense is aggressive. Maybe too much. Overpursue and under-tackle
Calloway is a stud
Butch is an idiot
The sideline reporter is smokin hot

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
* Don't think Ive ever seen grittier play out of several players -Grier, Powell et. al.
* The O-line is gonna be alright - I've been waiting for that first game to second game improvement and it looked like it happened tonight
* This is the game we look back to in a couple of years when we are hoisting that crystal trophy
* Grier is a leader and the QB of the future
* Rcvrs need to get used to Grier's gun, Grier needs to learn when to put a little touch on the ball

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My random post-game thought????

DAMN IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!!

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This was a team win. UT had two big plays (trick plays) that gave them a huge advantage. The d was not that bad. Dobbs is a gamer and real athlete and so is the RB. Our punter had a HUGE game. We won the game on Griers 4th down plays. He sold me with all the clutch play. This game proves the magic or genius of Mac. You do not win in the SEC against the likes of UT with 3 fr. O lineman in the game.Just dont happen. Taylor got some HUGE first downs for us tonite. It was team win. I like the way this is going. Our young lineman will be GREAT in year three. You get some exp on the O line and a few linebackers and we are a top ten team all day. BTW Brandon Powell had a HUGE game and his block at the end on the TD was the reason we got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.