Ranking Starting Gator QBs from the last 10 years

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is something I was thinking about the other day. Two days ago I would of had Mertz at #3, but after yesterday, I moved him to #2. Here's my list below. *Warning* This list could trigger anger or embarrassment, especially towards the end. The discrepancy between the top and bottom of the list is ridiculous. QBs at Florida should not be scattered like an entire bell curve.
  1. Trask
  2. Mertz - He's might be the best leader of this group.
  3. Grier - Oh, what could have been. Those wins against UT and Ole Miss wouldn't have happened without him.
  4. Richardson - His insane highlight reel kept him from a lower ranking.
  5. Franks - Very similar overall production to AR. Wasn't great but not awful either. Hog fans were pleased with him.
  6. Jones - Should never have been a starter but had better production than the next guy.
  7. Driskel - Would have had more success here if we had a better coaches.
  8. Appleby - He loved being a Gator and did his best.
  9. Harris - Surprisingly had better stats than Del Rio.
  10. Del Rio - Ugh.
I left off guys, like Miller last year, who only started one or two games. When Mertz 's career here is over, then perhaps a thread on where he ranks among all Gator QBs would be interesting.

Agree or do you think your list is better?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This is something I was thinking about the other day. Two days ago I would of had Mertz at #3, but after yesterday, I moved him to #2. Here's my list below. *Warning* This list could trigger anger or embarrassment, especially towards the end. The discrepancy between the top and bottom of the list is ridiculous. QBs at Florida should not be scattered like an entire bell curve.
  1. Trask
  3. Grier - Oh, what could have been. Those wins against UT and Ole Miss wouldn't have happened without him.
  5. Franks - Very similar overall production to AR. Wasn't great but not awful either. Hog fans were pleased with him.
  6. Jones - Should never have been a starter but had better production than the next guy.
  10. Del Rio - Ugh.
I left off guys, like Miller last year, who only started one or two games. When Mertz 's career here is over, then perhaps a thread on where he ranks among all Gator QBs would be interesting.

Swap Grier and Mertz and Driskel and Jones. Other than that, it looks good to me.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm probably swapping Grier and mertz. Even if it was only 6 games. I might even swap Franks and Richardson . In Franks season as the full time starter we had double digit wins, won a new year's six bowl. He had his struggles but never looked as awful as AR when AR was down. Six through 10 is like looking for the tallest midget.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
  1. Trask
  10. Del Rio - Ugh.

Looks to me like you're pretty much nailed it, JB.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
#5-10 on that list are cringeworthy.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
  1. Trask
  10. Del Rio - Ugh.

Where's Claribelle?
28883779206_c2e2cd45a3_o.gif

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm probably swapping Grier and mertz. Even if it was only 6 games. I might even swap Franks and Richardson . In Franks season as the full time starter we had double digit wins, won a new year's six bowl. He had his struggles but never looked as awful as AR when AR was down. Six through 10 is like looking for the tallest midget.
So in 6 games Grier averaged 200 yards/game, had a 66% completion percentage, and threw 10tds with 3Ints. Mertz after 7 games is averaging 267 yards/game, has a 76% completion percentage, and threw 12 tds with 2 Ints.

So just considering time at Florida, Mertz has the better stats (and tougher schedule), which is what I was mainly considering. But Mertz's time at Wisconsin pales in comparison to Grier's time at WV. Grier definitely has the upper hand in career stats.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
As high as we are on Mertz right now we had better find a way to work the left side of the field in our passing game otherwise I could see him dropping down the list as we try and work our way through the rest of the season including 4 ranked teams 2 of which are in the top 3-4 and a Arky team that has lost 4 games by one possession....hell is coming our way.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Crazy thing is how wide of a gap there currently is between Trask and the others. What could have been with him and that offense we were gifted if we could have only had a competent staff filling our D.

Mertz has been impressive and could easily be the second on that list but still early. However his toughness and fire are endearing him to the fan base. Unfortunately I think Grier and Richardson are right where they need to be because we only got both for such a short time. They can have all the talent in the world, but if they don't actually play for you more than a handful of games it doesn't matter. Anyone that says Franks could be 3rd is not wrong because of 2018 but everything other than that is hard to watch.

My goodness that list is depressing. Shows how important Lagway is and how much Trask was once in a lifetime recruit you find out of nowhere.

Still can't believe butters was determined to run everyone off for Del Rio and Mullen told Corral to pound sand for Emory Jones.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Other than Trask, that list...

team america vomit GIF

...is embarrassing. We need to get back to recruiting and developing QBs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So in 6 games Grier averaged 200 yards/game, had a 66% completion percentage, and threw 10tds with 3Ints. Mertz after 7 games is averaging 267 yards/game, has a 76% completion percentage, and threw 12 tds with 2 Ints.

So just considering time at Florida, Mertz has the better stats (and tougher schedule), which is what I was mainly considering. But Mertz's time at Wisconsin pales in comparison to Grier's time at WV. Grier definitely has the upper hand in career stats.

So you're telling me that if you're picking a qb for your squad, you'd take mertz over Grier? Or maybe that's not the question. Just from what my eyes remember that's definitely who I'd take

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you're telling me that if you're picking a qb for your squad, you'd take mertz over Grier? Or maybe that's not the question. Just from what my eyes remember that's definitely who I'd take
I would take 2023 Mertz over 2015 Grier. If Grier had stayed 3-4 years, then I probably take Grier, but he wasn't in orange and blue for that long. My ranking was based on how they played as gators. One could rank Driskel higher than Franks based on what Driskel did after he transferred (plus NFL).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1) Trask
2) Richardson
3) Mertz
4) Franks
5) Grier
6) Jones
7) Driskel
8) Appleby
9) Harris
10) Del Rio

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
1) Trask
2) Richardson
3) Mertz
4) Franks
5) Grier
6) Jones
7) Driskel
8) Appleby
9) Harris
10) Del Rio
Richardson quit on us and lost us games because of it. I hate quitters. He's at the bottom of my list. In fact, he's the only Gator I pull against in the NFL.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Richardson quit on us and lost us games because of it. I hate quitters. He's at the bottom of my list. In fact, he's the only Gator I pull against in the NFL.

So did Grier. And Franks tried shushing the Florida Field crowd. I ranked mine based on production and ignored the rest. I couldn't walk away from Richardson's combined 3,203 yards a year ago or Franks' 24-6 TD-picks total for 2018, even if half of it was sideways passing.

Mertz will easily surpass Trask's numbers if he stays on pace, but he has to do it first before I move him higher.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
So did Grier. And Franks tried shushing the Florida Field crowd. I ranked mine based on production and ignored the rest. I couldn't walk away from Richardson's combined 3,203 yards a year ago or Franks' 24-6 TD-picks total for 2018, even if half of it was sideways passing.

Mertz will easily surpass Trask's numbers if he stays on pace, but he has to do it first before I move him higher.
I never had problem with Franks shushing the crowd. I pulled for him when he left Florida.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was terrible. We win the title in 2012
with just average QB play. I have him 8th . Only ahead of appleby and DR

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
1. Trask
2. Mertz
3. Richardson (had great potential but lacked the will to win or lacked something)
4. Grier (wasn't here long enough)
5. Everybody Else
10. Del Rio (if you're last, you're last)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator