Ranking Starting Gator QBs from the last 10 years

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz will easily surpass Trask's numbers if he stays on pace, but he has to do it first before I move him higher.
Did you mean Richardson? Because Mertz isn't going to throw for almost 4,300 yards and 43 TDs in a single season.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Didn't Franks set the consecutive completion record, and Emory break the total yards in a game record? Just crazy that some of our most garbage QB's have some of these records. Hell Treon was 2-0 against Ugay and both were blowouts. I guess even the crappiest QB's still left some decent memories. Whats really impressive is Trask broke the record in 2020 for passing TD's in a season and passing yards against nothing but SEC competition. Hell Trask ended up with 69 passing td's and that was in less than 2 full seasons of starting.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What a depressing list........

Trask was the aberration and Mullett tried to bury him, what a waste Mullett was!

Mertz is growing on me.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Didn't Franks set the consecutive completion record, and Emory break the total yards in a game record? Just crazy that some of our most garbage QB's have some of these records. Hell Treon was 2-0 against Ugay and both were blowouts. I guess even the crappiest QB's still left some decent memories. Whats really impressive is Trask broke the record in 2020 for passing TD's in a season and passing yards against nothing but SEC competition. Hell Trask ended up with 69 passing td's and that was in less than 2 full seasons of starting.
add in the fact that Applebee is tied for longest TD pass with the 99 yard play to Cleveland against LSU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Did you mean Richardson? Because Mertz isn't going to throw for almost 4,300 yards and 43 TDs in a single season.

His 2019 season that firmly established him as the starter.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Crazy thing is how wide of a gap there currently is between Trask and the others. What could have been with him and that offense we were gifted if we could have only had a competent staff filling our D.

Mertz has been impressive and could easily be the second on that list but still early. However his toughness and fire are endearing him to the fan base. Unfortunately I think Grier and Richardson are right where they need to be because we only got both for such a short time. They can have all the talent in the world, but if they don't actually play for you more than a handful of games it doesn't matter. Anyone that says Franks could be 3rd is not wrong because of 2018 but everything other than that is hard to watch.

My goodness that list is depressing. Shows how important Lagway is and how much Trask was once in a lifetime recruit you find out of nowhere.

Still can't believe butters was determined to run everyone off for Del Rio and Mullen told Corral to pound sand for Emory Jones.
We had no business not winning a championship with thay Trask team. Mullen found a way to lose 4 games

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mertz is growing on me.

Same. A few weeks ago I said Mertz isn't the type of QB to go out a win a game when behind. He proved me wrong. I am really shocked at how good he looks this year considering he looked like garbage at Wisconsin. Of course the WR room is 100x better than he ever had at Wisconsin. But, could it be Napier fixed him?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Driskel was terrible. We win the title in 2012
with just average QB play. I have him 8th . Only ahead of appleby and DR

I don’t disagree, but in Brisset’s one game as a starter that year, we scored 20 points against Jax State. No one was looking good in that system and playing for that moron of a coach.

Driskel could’ve been better under better coaches. He has the same type of meltdown games as Jones, but with more meaningful wins.

AR and Grier are almost incompletes. Both are more talented than Mertz but he’s already surpassed WG’s win total and is 2 away from edging out AR.

Also, what makes Trask’s performance so impressive Is that he didn’t get the ‘19 off-season to practice with the 1’s as the starter. And he played an all-SEC schedule in ‘20 with no cupcakes to pad his stats.

I’d say the original list is about right.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
As high as we are on Mertz right now we had better find a way to work the left side of the field in our passing game otherwise I could see him dropping down the list as we try and work our way through the rest of the season including 4 ranked teams 2 of which are in the top 3-4 and a Arky team that has lost 4 games by one possession....hell is coming our way.
Well, other than the TD to Jackson, I'd agree with your post.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Same. A few weeks ago I said Mertz isn't the type of QB to go out a win a game when behind. He proved me wrong. I am really shocked at how good he looks this year considering he looked like garbage at Wisconsin. Of course the WR room is 100x better than he ever had at Wisconsin. But, could it be Napier fixed him?
We also have to pull back all our "Mertz sucked at Whisky because they always put him in 3rd and long passing situations" comments... guilty as charged.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We also have to pull back all our "Mertz sucked at Whisky because they always put him in 3rd and long passing situations" comments... guilty as charged.
It's not just that. He was under 60% accuracy and threw lots of interceptions. He forced a lot of throws and seldom hit the long ball consistently. His play this year has been way beyond my expectations.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm probably swapping Grier and mertz. Even if it was only 6 games. I might even swap Franks and Richardson . In Franks season as the full time starter we had double digit wins, won a new year's six bowl. He had his struggles but never looked as awful as AR when AR was down. Six through 10 is like looking for the tallest midget.
That's easy! 'Urg.....errrrr I mean Treon!

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but Treon Harris was the worst by a mile. How in the actual F does the University of Florida wind up with that guy taking first string reps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator