Ray Goff

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n93573 said:
My brother-in-law was a starting DT on those UGA teams that Goff QB'd back in the 70s. He said that Goff's a great guy, he just wasn't cut out for the HC position.

This story sounds familiar...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
g8trs99;n93579 said:
Illinois should have kept the Zooker. At least he got them to the Rose Bowl. Now they are back to being horrible.
Do you like every terrible coach?

Is there some sort of Stockholm Syndrome that affects football fans held hostage by incompetent coaches?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Goof is now a farmer.
Edit:This is from Wiki...I think Law had a hand in this. Head coaching career[edit]

Goff's tenure got off to a slow start, with just ten wins in his first two seasons, before reeling off nine wins in 1991 and ten in 1992; the latter campaign finished with Georgia ranked eighth by the Coaches Poll. Over the next three years, Goff's teams never again posted as many as seven wins, and he was fired in 1995. His teams only made brief appearances in the Coaches Poll in 1993, 1994 and 1995, reaching #13 in the 1993 preseason polls. Goff's 1995 team was on the receiving end of Steve Spurrier's "Half a Hundred" game in which his Florida Gators team put up 52 points on the beleaguered Bulldogs. They were the first and, to date, only team to do so inside Sanford Stadium. Spurrier, known for his colorful comments about other coaches, subsequently referred to Goff as "Ray Goof." This would prove to be one of the final straws in Goff's tenure at Georgia. He was fired at the end of the year having acquired a 6-6 record for the season.

Maybe Richt will return the favor on Saturday.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Goff was on the mid day tailgate today

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n93050 said:
I once shared an elevator with Goff in Gainesville of all places. It was well after his coaching career was over and we were both on business. I think he was a rep for some sporting goods company but that’s just a guess from looking at some of the stuff he was carrying. Just imagine the fall from grace from being the head coach of a major college program to giving a sales demonstration on how your company’s athletic supporter cup hugs a guys balls better than your competitors.

Pell had a pretty drastic fall from grace after his dismissal, but I still laugh at Ox posting about Zook cleaning floors at a bank after-hours.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
Law98gator;n93786 said:
Do you like every terrible coach?

Is there some sort of Stockholm Syndrome that affects football fans held hostage by incompetent coaches?

No but they are Illinois. Zook gave them 3 winning seasons. Since the fired him they won 2 games each year the previous two years. This year they are 4-4. At some point you have to realize you are winning games, and since you are generally the bottom of the barrel you may just want to ride it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.