Receivers

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't a thread about Driskel or Harris... this thread is soley to discuss why our receivers are having so many issues catching the ball! I also keep hearing that they are running the wrong routes sometimes.

I don't know how much the wrong route thing happens on other teams... I'm sure it does, but it seems like we have a high amount of drops.

How much of this is part of losing Joker and having Chris Leak thrown into the position of coaching WRs? I don't feel like other teams' have as many drops as we do and it's all the receivers, not just 1 or 2.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's crazy how Jekyll and Hyde D-Rob has been. He's made some amazing plays and some terrible mistakes. Hopefully he puts it together because he could be special.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
When we had Joker last year at WR coach their was still a ton of drops.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n70578 said:
It's crazy how Jekyll and Hyde D-Rob has been. He's made some amazing plays and some terrible mistakes. Hopefully he puts it together because he could be special.

Agreed. Perhaps that's because of the increased talent he's seeing now though. He has to work harder to get open as defenses key in on him as the top receiver. Someone else needs to step up to take some of the pressure off of him.
That said, he has dropped some passes that he should've caught.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dropped passes aren't on the WR coach. I said this last week, but Chris Leak needs to get a tennis ball machine and start making these guys catch them barehanded until they can't feel their palms anymore. Pass catching problem would be over.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Now that, by process of elimination, Driskel is the QB this week with no TH in sight, these WR'S need to get their sh! t together, run good routes, and actually catch passes thrown in their direction!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NoGaGator;n71482 said:
Now that, by process of elimination, Driskel is the QB this week with no TH in sight, these WR'S need to get their sh! t together, run good routes, and actually catch passes thrown in their direction!

It will be interesting to see what happens with no possibility of Treon Harris coming in.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n71489 said:
It will be interesting to see what happens with no possibility of Treon Harris coming in.

Hell, maybe Jeff will play a little looser. :dance2:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lets be honest Jeff is fried mentally.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
URGatorBait;n70582 said:
Someone else needs to step up to take some of the pressure off of him.
Where is Quinton Dunbar ?
One other big concern with the WR's is I've noticed they are not blocking on the outside runs at all. I've seen at least a dozen plays this season where if a WR gets a block on a outside play we get much more yardage from the play and also get 1st downs to keep the chains moving.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71642 said:
Where is Quinton Dunbar ?
One other big concern with the WR's is I've noticed they are not blocking on the outside runs at all. I've seen at least a dozen plays this season where if a WR gets a block on a outside play we get much more yardage from the play and also get 1st downs to keep the chains moving.

Dunbar has been dropping passes, he really has been disappointing this season.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
TheDouglas78;n71653 said:
Dunbar has been dropping passes, he really has been disappointing this season.

Catches just enough to keep his streak alive.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Speaking of receivers, OJ Howard's game has really fallen off. He lets that short corner ice the game with that INT. If he goes up and high points the pass they win the game. He looked like a 1st rounder at one time. Now, not so much.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kyng;n70580 said:
When we had Joker last year at WR coach their was still a ton of drops.

And it seemed like they were running the wrong routes last year, too. I don't understand how they cannot understand what it is they are supposed to do out on the field.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If you look at the Tenn game we had at least 4 dropped passes and Tenn had 1. I think one thing I noticed with Robinson is that he is starting to make his move too early.

He is thinking about his run after the catch instead of catching the ball. He needs to slow down a little and focus on catching the ball then making his move.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
Bottom line is that the WR's / TE's have to catch the "catchable" balls EVERY TIME. Then occasionally make a spectacular catch...but the in the hands
balls have to be caught. It really compromises a drive with those drops...and I don't care if it wobbles, shakes, is hot, floating...whatever...if it hits you in the
hands...it's the WR's job to catch it!

Now, the underthrows and over throws...that's on the QB.

Just do your job. Moving the chains by passing will open up the run and then open up the middle for passes, then open up the deep ball.

You just have to WANT it to make that catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator