Receivers

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The problem is that from top to bottom we are playing too tight. It's a reflection of the coaches, specifically WM. No one is playing loose. Rather, they look like they are petrified of making a mistake and playing with zero confidence and having zero fun. It's visible at QB, RB, WR, TE, etc. The constant has been WM over the past 4 years, and unless he changes his philosophy, that won't change. That's the problem.

Aside from some of the defensive players (like Elam, Floyd, LP and Easley) playing loose and having fun in 2012, it's the very similar on defense.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Driskel is missing the leadership and charisma to motivate the team the way a QB needs to. He just seems very flat. I constantly hear that he is mentally strong... I'm wondering if he really is mentally strong or is just hiding it. He doesn't show the emotion or passion that I would expect. He never really has.

I think the team feeds off of his lack of charisma and that hurts the team. If you take that and add to it that he makes bad decisions, often holds the ball too long and doesn't really have much touch... then you can see he doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a successful starting QB. I am really hoping he proves me wrong. I hope we get up on LSU by 28 points and Grier gets some snaps in the game.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you said this thread wasn't about the QB's, so I'll get back to the receivers. I don't think that Robinson even has the potential to be a great receiver. I think he could be a good receiver - even an NFL receiver like Caldwell or Gafney (maybe), but I don't think he's Calvin Johnson / Julio Jones / AJ Green / Amari Cooper level. That being said, he's not living up to his potential and the tweet he sent out after the Bama game was turrible. I wonder if he's a bit scared to get hit...

'Cause I'm pretty sure that plays into Quinton Dunbar's issues. I'm not disappointed in him because I frankly have never expected that much from him. He is one of our leaders because he's older and been around a long time, not because he's that good (imo).

I don't know what's up with Fulwood. I wish the would give him a chance on some fades, outs, and back-shoulder stuff along the sideline - and I wish he would prove those thoughts wise by performing.

Debose hasn't contributed at WR and I think that's a shame. I think he could do some damage in this offense. He has the skill to be great, if not the work ethic.

Most of the others are either young, coming off of injury, or not very noteworthy in my mind. Regardless, I would think that these guys have enough ability to make plays against teams like Kentucky (who I believe has improved greatly, but still shouldn't have the depth of athletes to keep up with our WR's). I would like very much to see the WR's flourish and at least one part of that, a big part I think, is them bringing their "A-game."

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n71960 said:
I think Driskel is missing the leadership and charisma to motivate the team the way a QB needs to. He just seems very flat. I constantly hear that he is mentally strong... I'm wondering if he really is mentally strong or is just hiding it. He doesn't show the emotion or passion that I would expect. He never really has.

I think the team feeds off of his lack of charisma and that hurts the team. If you take that and add to it that he makes bad decisions, often holds the ball too long and doesn't really have much touch... then you can see he doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a successful starting QB. I am really hoping he proves me wrong. I hope we get up on LSU by 28 points and Grier gets some snaps in the game.

I agree that he doesn't have a ton of charisma in general. You see it at certain times, in small doses. In both instances I'm thinking of, it was at the end of the game, and we were playing with nothing to lose. Look at his reaction after hitting DRob for the TD in overtime. He was excited and loose and actually looked happy to be out there. The other was walking off the field following Jones' late TD run against the noles in 2012. He is too wound up, as is most of the team. To me, that's the biggest hurdle.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n71960 said:

I'll bet my house we don't score 28 on LSU with driskel under center. I'm sorry if I sound like gator fever

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator