Recruiting "Athletes"

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So I was just wondering what our record was on recruiting "Athletes". I don't even recognize the names of most of these guys but there are some standouts like Will "The Thrill" Hill.

Meyer recruited a lot af them. Five in 2006. Incidentally that was a #2 ranked class. Chump apparently didn't like "athletes". ;)

Eric Sledge ATH Apopka, FL 6'2" 180 5.7 3*
Derrick Robinson ATH Gainesville, FL 5'11" 159 5.5 3*
Riley Cooper ATH Clearwater, FL 6'4" 208 5.9 4*
Jarred Fayson ATH Tampa, FL 6'0" 184 6 5*
Jamar Hornsby ATH Jacksonville, FL 6'3" 195 5.9 4*
Brandon James ATH St. Augustine, FL 5'6" 167 5.5 3*
Moses Jenkins ATH Lauderdale Lakes, FL 6'2" 169 5.6 3*

Adrian Bushell ATH DeSoto, TX 5'11" 180 5.9 4*
Will Hill ATH Jersey City, NJ 6'3" 203 6.1 5*
Joshua Evans ATH Irvington, NJ 6'2" 185 5.8 4*
Robert Clark ATH West Palm Beach, FL 5'9" 170 5.5 3*
Jonathan Dowling ATH Bradenton, FL 6'3" 178 5.8 4*
None
None
None
Deiondre Porter ATH Tampa, FL 6'0" 163 5.5 3*
Anfernee McGriff ATH Tallahassee, FL 6'3" 225 5.8 4*
McArthur Burnett ATH Pahokee, FL 6'1" 180 5.5 3*
Kadarius Toney ATH Pritchard, AL 6'0" 185 5.6 3*

Amari Burney ATH Clearwater, FL 6'1" 201 5.8 4*

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most guys called "athletes" are dudes with no position. If you look at that list again, Cooper and Will Hill were the only ones that worked out. And they weren't really dudes with no position, they were dudes who could have played receiver or safety, probably would good results. (Cooper could hit like a train on STs.) James was a great returner but he really had no position on offense.

Last edited:

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mind it when they're highly rated "athletes" that are freakish athletes that play multiple positions. Or athletes like James who was way to small but had ridiculous speed and athleticism I'd love to have a Brandon James returning kicks right now. The lower 4 stars and 3 stars I don't get at all.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'm not a big fan. It seems most don't do much ch on the field. Specific to the list above, i believe that Jamar Hornsby was the guy who used a dead girl's credit card and was dismissed from the team. Also, wasn't Adrian Bushell the kid who ended up at BCC and ultimately killed himself?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, James was only competing for the offense position against Percy Harvey. If Percy were never here, IMO James would likely have settled-in as a "star". James was more elusive and escaped from what looked like impossible "cracks".

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The spread option puts a premium on speed over skill or football IQ, which is why Meyer recruited the way he did. A guy like McElwain is only going to use athletes to fill special situations.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Well, James was only competing for the offense position against Percy Harvey. If Percy were never here, IMO James would likely have settled-in as a "star". James was more elusive and escaped from what looked like impossible "cracks".

Disagree. James is not or was not ever a star. He was a situational player and not much else.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Having numerous guys that can change a game with one play are great to have..with a coaching staff that knows how to utilize them.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree. James is not or was not ever a star. He was a situational player and not much else.
He was rock star in the return game. Possibly our best EVER. I think that qualifies as a "star".

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Having numerous guys that can change a game with one play are great to have..with a coaching staff that knows how to utilize them.

This post strikes me as being in the center of what we're not doing right now, which is taking advantage of our unique geographical advantage in recruiting. Meyer did it and look what happened. McElwain doesn't run that kind of helter-skelter offense, but you'll never convince me of the need to not have guys who can make plays. It's the difference between the haves and the have-nots in the SEC.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He was rock star in the return game. Possibly our best EVER. I think that qualifies as a "star".

WHile I don't disagree with you on the return portion...that was the extent of his star-ness. I think he was an electric returner. Percy was special and might be the best player ever to grace the Gators script.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Purifoy was recruited as an athlete. I know he started but he didn't really pan out either imo.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fayson was a player, but his mom thought he was being disrespected and transferred to never be heard from again.
Fayson was getting his azz kicked by Harvin and the coaches wouldn't stop it.

I saw him a bit on Illinoize but then they got that freak receiver #5 star kid and Fayson was gone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This post strikes me as being in the center of what we're not doing right now, which is taking advantage of our unique geographical advantage in recruiting. Meyer did it and look what happened. McElwain doesn't run that kind of helter-skelter offense, but you'll never convince me of the need to not have guys who can make plays. It's the difference between the haves and the have-nots in the SEC.
I don't agree at all about Meyer. After kids saw that our offense was going to be QB up the middle 30 times a game and receivers get two maybe three touches a game IF you are THE guy, everyone else gets one at the most, our offensive recruiting went to shyt. We were getting killed by Bammer, FSU and even fvkking Clemson for all the stud receivers and RBs. He had two straight classes with only 2 OL also, and they sure as hell weren't talented kids either.

I also take issue with your helter skelter characterization. Creyer ran almost no hurry up, and instead ran the Lemming Offense which generally went ot 28 seconds each play and often resulted in delay of game penalties or error type timeouts.

The State of Florida has more freak recruits at pretty much every position. My theory is that it is because we prefer football so much and some big athletic 6'4" kid in Florida plays football when a kid in NY or Illinois probably stays lean and plays basketball. We have no shortage of huge linemen, big athletic receivers and real running backs. They just weren't going to Florida in the second half of Creyer's tenure.

The offensive problems STARTED under Creyer.

You will note that he not longer fills his classes up with smurfs at Crackumbus State either. I give him credit for learning that lesson.

As for Butters, he tries to land game-changers, he just can't. Then we are forced to land plan C/D/E/F type kids and swear Butters' just found another couple dozen diamonds in the rough. Some have opined (I forget the article, probably Gator Country) that Butters thought UF recruited itself. Frankly, so did I. But when you are the captain of the ship, you get paid millions to make sure it is sailing smoothly.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No he wouldn't. He had plenty of handoffs after Percy left.

He wasn't a RB.

Neither was Demps.

Or Rainey.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Purifoy was recruited as an athlete. I know he started but he didn't really pan out either imo.
He was not great, but he was good. He also played the role he was supposed to in Chimps system, which is put one or even two extra safeties in the box, run blitz often and dare them to beat you over the top. Against most passophobic SEC teams, it works.

He gambled, and tried to bait QBs into throwing, hoping for the INT. Again, this was Chimp's system.

He did have good hands, and is an excellent example of the fact that we should just be moving the WRs who don't quite develop. They are generally better athletes than the kids who couldn't play WR in HS.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Avery Atkins.

Bushel went to Louisville, I think.
Bushell had grade issues I believe. I think he'd been good for us, but he was too undersized to be able to cover big receivers.

I think Robinson got drafted high in baseball and never arrived. I think he was the guy that had a ridiculous 40 time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.