Recruiting "Athletes"

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Robinson got drafted high in baseball and never arrived. I think he was the guy that had a ridiculous 40 time.

Yes, he ran a 4.3. I always held out some hope that he'd be a failure at baseball and eventually come back to G'ville, where he was from, to play on the Gator football team. He made it to the show for half a season a few years back. Stole 70 bases in Triple-A one year and kicked around in the independent leagues. I'm not sure if he's still in organized baseball.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When Meyer came here he wanted UF to be the fastest team in America and he recruited speed. Harvin, James, Rainey, Demps, Murphy, Cooper, Debose... all had elite speed and with the slightest bit of room could take it the distance.

Muschamp didn't get the playmaker type of guy and I do think that hurt!

McElwain seems to have improved on that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When Meyer came here he wanted UF to be the fastest team in America and he recruited speed. Harvin, James, Rainey, Demps, Murphy, Cooper, Debose... .
Cooper was a good receiver bit he didnt have great hands.

Id trade every one of those guys for a few Ike Hilliards who run great routes and catch the ball when its thrown their way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No he wouldn't. He had plenty of handoffs after Percy left.

He wasn't a RB.

Neither was Demps.

Or Rainey.

That crap ran me crazy in 09 running little Demps over and over right up the middle. He would break some real long ones on the outside here and there but usually not against the top teams that year.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bushell had grade issues I believe. I think he'd been good for us, but he was too undersized to be able to cover big receivers.

I think Robinson got drafted high in baseball and never arrived. I think he was the guy that had a ridiculous 40 time.
I thought it was an injury that knocked Bushell out of the game, then he faltered with grades; but this confirms your suspicion:
Not surprisingly, Bushell decided to return to Florida for college, joining the Gators. He played in all 14 games of the 2009 season as a redshirt freshman (14 tackles, one interception) before transferring because of academic and off-field issues that prevented him from practicing with the team in the spring of 2010.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hilliard was great and a better pure WR, but I would rather have Harvin..

The basic point was pure speed and ability to stretch the D and take it the distance. I do feel that Mac is getting more of that talent then we had with Champ. Both TF RBs have elite speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.