Replacement candidates for Billy?

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
He's definitely getting next year, hope is, ( hope is not a course if action) he learns. If he doesn't and is .500 or worse again, hoping he's enough of a relationship builder/snake oil salesman to hold the recruiting classes together. The man can obviously recruit.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ugh… it’s going to be 2+ more years of misery.

No it’s not. Not sure why we repeat the same narrative each time this happens. If this continues he’s gone, and at this stage I’d say ‘24 isn’t even a guarantee. And if he does get it, and things haven’t improved, it will most likely be because someone with brains(Sasse most likely) realized next year wouldn’t be the ideal time to roll out a new coach given the schedule. New president with no ties to either the coach or the guy who hired him. We’ve seen this episode play out dozens of times. Outside of a major turnaround, there will be a massive change in the UAA. And I don’t think he’ll need 4 years of data to do so.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
No it’s not. Not sure why we repeat the same narrative each time this happens. If this continues he’s gone, and at this stage I’d say ‘24 isn’t even a guarantee. And if he does get it, and things haven’t improved, it will most likely be because someone with brains(Sasse most likely) realized next year wouldn’t be the ideal time to roll out a new coach given the schedule. New president with no ties to either the coach or the guy who hired him. We’ve seen this episode play out dozens of times. Outside of a major turnaround, there will be a massive change in the UAA. And I don’t think he’ll need 4 years of data to do so.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fuch it. I'll do it and hire you bunch of miscreants as my assistants.
Let's get it
:chomp:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I know it's unlikely Billy gets fired this season because of his stupid buyout. I think it's more likely that he gets fired next season if he doesn't turn it around. Whose your pick for a replacement coach? My number one choice is Urban Meyer. Whose your choice?
The way we have been burned in recent years I would take a proven commodity as my number one option instead of a young up and coming coach, which is a risk.

Proven coaches list:
Urban Meyer- Unlikely because he said he is done with coaching, but you never know with Urban. Make him say no. His competitive fire will not allow his last coaching job to be the Jax disaster.
Bob Stoops- Maybe the 10th time is the charm? Extremely unlikely.
Chris Petersen- Extremely unlikely
Luke Fickell- He has a low buyout and Wisconsin isn't a great job. Would he leave his native midwest to come to the South East? Maybe there is a chance. He has been really successful.
Matt Rhule- I think he would easily leave Nebraska for us. He is a realistic proven option.

The next tier:
Kalen Deboer- He is the top young up and coming coaches along with Mike Elko. He has won at all 3 of his stops and he has Washington looking very good. He is 16-2 at Washington so far. 95-11 career record.
Mike Elko- I think he is one of the best up and coming coaches. He is really good, but his experience is lacking
Lane Kiffin- Great on offense. He would need to be paired with a great DC.
Mike Stoops- He has done a great job at KY, but the concern is that he might be a SEC east version of Dan Mullen. I think he is better than Mullen, but i am not sure how high his ceiling is.
Deion Sanders- He is very unproven and a risky. Our recruiting would be legendary and he does delegate and allow his staff do their jobs.

You make the call to Urban but it's like a no. The rest of the guys on the list are a huge no. Stoops isnt coming back. Petersen is done and honestly his system is as dated as the one we currently run. Fickell is still unproven and have you seen Matt Rhule so far? No thanks.

DeBoer, Kiffin, Lanning. Those are the top 3. Kiffin would be the lowest on the list. Doesnt like recruiting but his system is fun.

DeBoer and Lanning believe in scoring points. Both run systems that would translate to the type of players we can get. Lanning is a southeastern guy as well. So Id likely take a look at him.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
As far as a replacement goes, does anyone think Stricknine is up for it, that he has a list of candidates to explore, that he even knows how to determine who would be a new, solid hire in all aspects?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As far as a replacement goes, does anyone think Stricknine is up for it, that he has a list of candidates to explore, that he even knows how to determine who would be a new, solid hire in all aspects?

He won’t be making any more football hires. I’ve said from Napiers first day, regardless of how it turned out, he’d be his last hire.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Even if Napier makes some changes and we go from 6 wins, to 8, he's still Mark Richt, in effect. His acumen has been on full display. Hope we are competitive against georgia and fsu.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Even if Napier makes some changes and we go from 6 wins, to 8, he's still Mark Richt, in effect. His acumen has been on full display. Hope we are competitive against georgia and fsu.
Richt was 3x the coach Billy has been. He’s friggin 9-9 and hasn’t faced the toughest part of our schedule yet.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
First, we should have hired Freeze instead of Billy. Second, Ox may faint, but hell yes, call Urban, even if he's only around for 4 years before burning out again. I'd rather we hire Art Briles than Sanders or Kiffin.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, any Gator fan that even thinks of recommending that piece of human excrement otherwise known as Coach Slime for HC needs to immediately turn in their fan card. Permanently.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it would be the best thing for him to succeed. But I’ve seen nothing that leads me to believe he can actually coach well enough to be successful in the SEC. The meat of our schedule lies ahead against our 2 biggest rivals who are in the top 5. We’ll be fortunate to make it to 6-6. Next year’s schedule is even tougher. He will not survive with a .500 or less record for his first 3 years.
No fuching way.
The next two games are very important .
Drop one of them and it’s a losing record. I had us at 6-5 going into the game against FSU and think it’s still likely .

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You realize everything we complained about with Muschamp, then McElwain, then Mullen have all turned out to be absolutely correct, right? There’s been articles written after the fact detailing those missteps and how they ultimately led to their demise. Everyone here, and practically everywhere, called them well before they came to fruition. And where are all these guys now? Killing it elsewhere, proving us all wrong?

Those same people have been supportive of much of what Napier has done here, yet have said since day one that he needs an OC, QB coach and STs coach. The national media is saying the same thing. Palmer himself(does he have any cred in your eyes?) openly questioned the 2 point try when we lined up for it. At some point, we have to stop with the whole “keyboard coaches” thing. It’s tired and has been proven to be false. And it’s not because we’re just so smart. It’s that the decisions that we’re questioning are just that dumb.
Valiant effort bro but you’re talking to a guy that wanted to keep Muschump . Your words while correct while fall on deaf Stephen ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.