Founding Member

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n263012 said:
So has there been any reported linkage or most of it is hearsay or speculation?

He committed to Nussmeier at Bama and decommitted when he left for Michigan.....so who knows...we will see

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n263005 said:
I feel like we could use another QB, but also kind of agree with you on this. There's something weird about this sudden transfer.

Ssshhhhhhhhh!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Us or Arky...gotta be us, right?

Nobody is a bigger Gator than me but let's also be realistic here.

Arky has a proven winner at HC who is going to be there for a while. He did better in the Big10 with Wisky than Saban did with MichState. He's done a fine job of getting Arky turned around and pointed in the right direction. He's built a solid OL and a strong running game. He's got some good recruits coming in too. His QB this year (Brandon Allen) is a senior so the competition to be the starting QB in 2016 will be wide open. Not a bad situation for a transfer QB to walk into?

Florida has a brand new coach who has never been a head coach at this level and is unproven. The OL is...well, you know. In fact, the whole offense is a question mark. Additionally, whoever emerges as the 2015 starter (Grier or Harris) will be the entrenched incumbent for the 2016 starting job. The job might not open until 2017 or 2018.

I'm just sayin' This isn't a sure thing.

On the other hand, we're FLORIDA dammit. C'mon. Arkansas or FLORIDA??? Is that even a real choice?

Alex.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n263090 said:
According to this article, he may have just been a little skeert of the competition (good QBs ahead of him and good QBs that came in with his class).
http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/us...ing-ricky-towns-decision-to-transfer-from-usc

But if he's afraid of a little competition and doesn't have the confidence to stick it out, I'm not so sure he's ever going to cut it as a big time college QB.

Quite true, one of the important things that our new HBC must do is have an open competition for every spot continually. Especially QB's must perform and compete as there is only one at a time on the field (usually). If you won't compete then you have no place at UF any more.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n263093 said:
He committed to Nussmeier at Bama and decommitted when he left for Michigan.....so who knows...we will see

So..Mussmeier and he may have kept in touch and maybe Mussmeier, after seeing what he has, thinks he is potentially better than them. He did recruit him. Just a little gas on the fire.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n263126 said:
So..Mussmeier and he may have kept in touch and maybe Mussmeier, after seeing what he has, thinks he is potentially better than them. He did recruit him. Just a little gas on the fire.

Kid dissatisfied, talks to his Dad. Dad encourages kid to tough it out. Kid tries, no go. Dad discusses with high-school Coach. High-school Coach contacts Nussmeier whom he has prior relationship with from earlier recruiting of kid. Coach advised of general needs but cautioned that player is off limits unless he is released from current school. Player obtains release and is free to contact whomever he wishes.

More or less.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Poor kids. If these guys try to follow Nusschamp around every time he gets fired, they will be packing every year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
So help me understand where we are, and what any QB is looking at. Is this accurate for QB battles for coming years:

2015 - TH (So), WG (RFr), Jacob Guy (RJr walkon?), Brian Fallace (WHO??!?!?, RFr walk-on), Harry Gornto (Fr walk on...I remember the hype on him setting records at Choctaw)
2016 - Trask (2star, Fr), Luke Del Rio (Transfer RSo/Jr?), Josh Grady (Transfer RSr)
2017 - Jake Allen (Fr)

Did I miss somebody?

I don't expect the 2015 walk ons to contribute, more likely to wash out at some point without ever impacting the roster. IF Ricky Town transfers NOW and gets in with the team this year (sit out, but at least get familiar with system and practice with the team), he would be one of 6 non-walkons competing for the job next year, all of which will have a year of practice time under their belt with this program except for Trask. While this year we know what we are and what we have (TH and WG), next year is wide open. Maybe the loser of TH and WG transfers out, maybe Del Rio or Grady wash out. But today, in comparing UF and ARK, we have a lot of bodies who will have experience and be fighting to be in the top 1-2 (maybe 3) string QB spots.

Compare to ARK that has a Sr and two underclassmen backing him up. Sr is gone next year, so Town could get in now and have a year in that program and be competing with only two non-freshman for the position going forward. Seems to me ARK offers less competition (if that's what drove him out of USCw).

This year, we survive, and at best we settle on TH or WG as the leader for the next 2 yrs allowing the other QBs to develop. If one of them develops quickly and unseats the leader, fine. But it appears to me that would be JMac's ideal plan - have TH/WG establish themselves so focus can be on other players. That leaves Grady as a back up plan for next year taking that 3rd string spot, and only the start position and maybe a second string position open for competition.

I think we're getting healthier in terms of options for QB once we get past this year, with some stability and developmental (redshirt) opportunities for the younger guys. It feels to me as though the QB developmental program is now stocked and ready to start building a regular progression of development. Contrast that to our RB situation where we have KT starting this year then gone, JC and JS will be the top two next year along with the CC transfer Mark Thompson (4star kid, not sure how many years he will have available being a CC transfer) and Lamical Perine (3star Fr). We need to continue filling that pipeline and building competition there for future years.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n263350 said:
So help me understand where we are, and what any QB is looking at. Is this accurate for QB battles for coming years:

2015 - TH (So), WG (RFr), Jacob Guy (RJr walkon?), Brian Fallace (WHO??!?!?, RFr walk-on), Harry Gornto (Fr walk on...I remember the hype on him setting records at Choctaw)
2016 - Trask (2star, Fr), Luke Del Rio (Transfer RSo/Jr?), Josh Grady (Transfer RSr)
2017 - Jake Allen (Fr)

Did I miss somebody?

I don't expect the 2015 walk ons to contribute, more likely to wash out at some point without ever impacting the roster. IF Ricky Town transfers NOW and gets in with the team this year (sit out, but at least get familiar with system and practice with the team), he would be one of 6 non-walkons competing for the job next year, all of which will have a year of practice time under their belt with this program except for Trask. While this year we know what we are and what we have (TH and WG), next year is wide open. Maybe the loser of TH and WG transfers out, maybe Del Rio or Grady wash out. But today, in comparing UF and ARK, we have a lot of bodies who will have experience and be fighting to be in the top 1-2 (maybe 3) string QB spots.

Compare to ARK that has a Sr and two underclassmen backing him up. Sr is gone next year, so Town could get in now and have a year in that program and be competing with only two non-freshman for the position going forward. Seems to me ARK offers less competition (if that's what drove him out of USCw).

This year, we survive, and at best we settle on TH or WG as the leader for the next 2 yrs allowing the other QBs to develop. If one of them develops quickly and unseats the leader, fine. But it appears to me that would be JMac's ideal plan - have TH/WG establish themselves so focus can be on other players. That leaves Grady as a back up plan for next year taking that 3rd string spot, and only the start position and maybe a second string position open for competition.

I think we're getting healthier in terms of options for QB once we get past this year, with some stability and developmental (redshirt) opportunities for the younger guys. It feels to me as though the QB developmental program is now stocked and ready to start building a regular progression of development. Contrast that to our RB situation where we have KT starting this year then gone, JC and JS will be the top two next year along with the CC transfer Mark Thompson (4star kid, not sure how many years he will have available being a CC transfer) and Lamical Perine (3star Fr). We need to continue filling that pipeline and building competition there for future years.

Your QB analysis is rife with errors.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I had to edit Josh Grady in, so I'm likely off on my count of who is competing each year. But, where else would I be off? From the roster we have a butt load of QBs over the next year. Please correct the errors in analysis. I have no feel for where Del Rio is in terms of potential, I have no feel for how many positions deep the coaches want active in a given season vs redshirts for the future. I'm very open to being corrected.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n263407 said:
I had to edit Josh Grady in, so I'm likely off on my count of who is competing each year. But, where else would I be off? From the roster we have a butt load of QBs over the next year. Please correct the errors in analysis. I have no feel for where Del Rio is in terms of potential, I have no feel for how many positions deep the coaches want active in a given season vs redshirts for the future. I'm very open to being corrected.

Josh Grady is a graduate transfer currently in his last year of eligibility. Del Rio is a courtesy walk-on transfer.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
According to Andrew Spivey (from GatorCountry)... Florida is not really interested in Towns. They don't like that he left USC because of competition, he is apparently a head case, he also apparently did not really get better his Jr. and Senior years of HS so the thought is he may have peaked..

Got this off his podcast. Here is the link... they are free. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gatorcountry.com-your-florida/id1022087835?mt=2

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n263427 said:
According to Andrew Spivey (from GatorCountry)... Florida is not really interested in Towns. They don't like that he left USC because of competition, he is apparently a head case, he also apparently did not really get better his Jr. and Senior years of HS so the thought is he may have peaked..

Got this off his podcast. Here is the link... they are free. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gatorcountry.com-your-florida/id1022087835?mt=2

Interesting....

GIF-Amused-dis-gonna-be-good-knowing-popcorn-smug.-Indiana-Jones-watch-watching-GIF.gif

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
MJMGator;n263080 said:
Word is he simply couldn't get past the stink Kiffin left behind.
Then it sounds like he's going to be a Hog. If the lingering Kiffin stench was too much for him, then the Musktaint Stank is going to be overwhelming.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n263427 said:

But they love the kid out in texas who's never played a meaningful snap of highschool football? That would be a real head scratcher .

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n263471 said:
But they love the kid out in texas who's never played a meaningful snap of highschool football? That would be a real head scratcher .

That may speak to somebody not being afraid of competition, but also their confidence in flipping somebody like Franks or Cooper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.