RIP Franco Harris

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Grew up watching the Steelers dominate the 70’s. Actually met Franco on the MCO Shuttle a few years ago. Just a great guy and very humble. Hate getting old and watching my childhood idols die off..

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I followed the Steelers as well. Sad to see, as @FlyingGator says, all the heroes of my youth leave us. The “Immaculate Reception“ was awesome and remains a favorite play, especially against the hated Raiders.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I had no idea until reading about him just this moment that he ended his career with the Seahawks in 1984.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
RIP Franco. The Immaculate Reception is what people remember. The years of just stuffing the ball down the oppositions throat is what I remember. My age. I guess we all need to be ready when the time comes.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yes, RIP Franco.

He is a legend from one of my hated teams of the 70s, as I grew up a Cowboys fan. Haven't liked them, though, ever since they sold the team to Jerry Jones and he pushed out another Legendary head coach.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP Franco.
I grew up an Oilers fan (Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Burroughs, Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson, Bum Phillips (coach)), so hated the Steelers with a passion as they could never knock down the door of the steel curtain. Didn't appreciate their greatness until later in life. Fast-forward 45+ years and I am married to a Steelers fan who grew up in Beaver Falls. We always stop to admire the Franco tribute in the Pittsburgh airport when travelling through there.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I had his poster on my wall along with Lambert, Bradshaw and Farrah.

And @soflagator - there's indisputable proof that it was, in fact a catch, in the Pittsburgh airport:

iu

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
RIP Franco.
I grew up an Oilers fan (Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Burroughs, Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson, Bum Phillips (coach)), so hated the Steelers with a passion as they could never knock down the door of the steel curtain. Didn't appreciate their greatness until later in life. Fast-forward 45+ years and I am married to a Steelers fan who grew up in Beaver Falls. We always stop to admire the Franco tribute in the Pittsburgh airport when travelling through there.
Oilers would have been in an SB or two back then with that squad, but they had to be a wild card behind the Steelers.

A shame they are celebrating the immaculate reception Saturday night and retiring his 32 jersey and he didn't live to see it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"Legends of the Fall"

Franco qualifies!

By all accounts he was a humble, good man who left many charitable deeds to be remembered for.

RIP

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, RIP Franco.

He is a legend from one of my hated teams of the 70s, as I grew up a Cowboys fan. Haven't liked them, though, ever since they sold the team to Jerry Jones and he pushed out another Legendary head coach.
Here’s a little clip that sums up the rivalry…

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.