RIP Franco Harris

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Unreal that this ancient city never retired his jersey number (especially prior to Bradshaw of all folk legends). Wtf were they waiting for, his death :facepalm:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
I’ve seen footage confirming the ball never touched the turf but I haven’t seen any clearly showing whether the ball came off Tatum or Fuqua. Do you have a link to the definitive footage?

Alex.
I stand corrected. Every time I watch this play, I see something different. Human bias can even play into it, and right now, there is no way in hell I'd ever want this call overturned.

It isn't clear whether both Tatum and Fuqua touched the ball or in what order if both did. Using every available angle and modern review, the only option for the refs would be to make the call stand.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
I had his poster on my wall along with Lambert, Bradshaw and Farrah.

And @soflagator - there's indisputable proof that it was, in fact a catch, in the Pittsburgh airport:

iu
I'm glad they put that up before Franco died. It looks  too real.

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
Unreal that this ancient city never retired his jersey number (especially prior to Bradshaw of all folk legends). Wtf were they waiting for, his death :facepalm:
You've got a point, he's been retired for 37 effing years now. Maybe they were really that butthurt about him holding out that last season.

Gulfstream

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
The ball went over Fuqua's head and off the shoulder pads of the oncoming Tatum, who was closing in fast from his strong safety position. Tatum hit Fuqua so hard he just assumed the play as well as Fuqua to be dead.
FIFY

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
I stand corrected. Every time I watch this play, I see something different. Human bias can even play into it, and right now, there is no way in hell I'd ever want this call overturned.

It isn't clear whether both Tatum and Fuqua touched the ball or in what order if both did. Using every available angle and modern review, the only option for the refs would be to make the call stand.

I watched it again yesterday, JFK-Zapruder analytical style, and I'm very pleased to announce that the ball hit Jack Tatum at the same time he hit Fuqua.

I feel much better now having solved that ... along with the proof that the CIA killed JFK, it's been a very revealing week.

I'm now taking the day off to do a little googlin' on Jimmy Hoffa. I'll report back here soon.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Doesn't Hoffa have a monument to his burial in the concrete foundation of Giants Stadium.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Born in Western Pa and spent 13 years there until my parents escaped and moved to Florida. Very hard to believe that we lost Franco . Of all the players from the old Steeler dynasty Franco appeared to in the best shape and least likely to pass away at this time.
On the Immaculate Reception it was the defining moment for the beginning of the Steelers run of 4 Super Bowl wins in 6 seasons. Like many have posted here the controversy focused on whether or not the ball was deflected back almost 8 yards or so to Franco , by Tatum or Fuqua. I have watched and read many accounts and video replays and it appears that Tatum did in some way knock the ball back to Franco. However there does not appear to be a definitive photo.
With the rules at the time a touch by Tatum or a simultaneous touch by both players would make it a legal catch. I will always believe that the ball would not ricochet almost 8 yards backward without the momentum applied by Tatum's hit.
Another ironic fact is that Tatum aka "The Assassin"was involved in the play. Tatum was a classic head hunter and the poster child for today's targeting rules. Had Tatum wrapped up Fuqua at the Raider 35 yard line instead of trying to decapitate him, the Steelers would have been in real trouble. With no time outs left they most likely would have to spike the ball and attempt a FG. Roy Gerala was a sometimes good, and hardly ever a great kicker, and a 52 yarder on a cold day would have been unlikely for him.
In any case, RIP Franco and thanks for all the memories you gave me and all Steeler fans. We will miss you.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Born in Western Pa and spent 13 years there until my parents escaped and moved to Florida. Very hard to believe that we lost Franco . Of all the players from the old Steeler dynasty Franco appeared to in the best shape and least likely to pass away at this time.
On the Immaculate Reception it was the defining moment for the beginning of the Steelers run of 4 Super Bowl wins in 6 seasons. Like many have posted here the controversy focused on whether or not the ball was deflected back almost 8 yards or so to Franco , by Tatum or Fuqua. I have watched and read many accounts and video replays and it appears that Tatum did in some way knock the ball back to Franco. However there does not appear to be a definitive photo.
With the rules at the time a touch by Tatum or a simultaneous touch by both players would make it a legal catch. I will always believe that the ball would not ricochet almost 8 yards backward without the momentum applied by Tatum's hit.
Another ironic fact is that Tatum aka "The Assassin"was involved in the play. Tatum was a classic head hunter and the poster child for today's targeting rules. Had Tatum wrapped up Fuqua at the Raider 35 yard line instead of trying to decapitate him, the Steelers would have been in real trouble. With no time outs left they most likely would have to spike the ball and attempt a FG. Roy Gerala was a sometimes good, and hardly ever a great kicker, and a 52 yarder on a cold day would have been unlikely for him.
In any case, RIP Franco and thanks for all the memories you gave me and all Steeler fans. We will miss you.
You couldn't spike the ball back then. It would have been intentional grounding and a 67 yard FG.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
You couldn't spike the ball back then. It would have been intentional grounding and a 67 yard FG.
Good Point. I also found after some research that until 1974 the goal posts were on the goal line. That would have given Gerala 10 more yards to work with. But without time outs the Steelers may not have gotten another play off. Plus knowing the Raiders they would have not have allowed the Steelers to get back to the line of scrimmage . Just tackling Frenchy may have sealed the deal. But for Tatum trying to knock him out was a lot more fun.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
I watched it again yesterday, JFK-Zapruder analytical style, and I'm very pleased to announce that the ball hit Jack Tatum at the same time he hit Fuqua.

I feel much better now having solved that ... along with the proof that the CIA killed JFK, it's been a very revealing week.

I'm now taking the day off to do a little googlin' on Jimmy Hoffa. I'll report back here soon.
I’ll save you some time on Hoffa; it was Colonel Mustard in the Billiard Room with the candlestick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator