Rumors on Will Grier

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Grier stays he plays next year; not a doubt in my mind. If he decides to transfer, then I'll wish him the best unless he plays us. Yes it sucks he broke the rules and really hurt this year's team, especially the seniors. Unlike some others, I don't worry about him making the same type of mistake again. He's already proven he can play in this league and win. Is it next year yet?

divits pretty much said anything else I was thinking.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier is All-American QB material, so only another AA QB will keep Grier out
of leading these Gators. Our NFL-hopeful receivers will be yearning for Grier,
unless his "replacement" is feeding them better than they believe Grier can.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Like Divits, I can't figure out the logic of him leaving. He has invested nearly two years in the system. He was having success. There is no clear starter in his absence, and he has to be favorite to start when he gets back. His competition is Treon, who just sucks, a QB who has transferred twice, was 3rd string at Bama and hasn't played a down at UF, or one of more true freshman. That is a better situation than he is going to get in most places, plus he'd lose the remainder of next year as eligibility...I think.

For all those who are saying he should leave, they will quickly be back on board if we are sucking at QB and he comes back and has one good game.
Don't forget that getting a graduate transfer is also a very real possibility so it could be Del Rio, Harris, Eason, and Experienced Transfer competing for the position. And eveyone who thinks Grier shouldn't practice since he can't play for another 8 games, does that mean he shouldn't practice when he can't play for another 6 games? But it is very hard or even impossible for the coaches to say hang around kid and as soon as you are eligible the starter gets the ax and it's your team. Let's say, for the sake of argument, we are undefeated and playing as a cohesive offense when he becomes eligible. Then what do you do, split the locker room by handing him the keys?

Grier should stay, I hope he stays, he's quite possibly the best passing QB's we've had here in a very long time. But you can't deny it's a effed up situation and complicates recruiting, practice, depth chart, etc. That's why we have to make a full court presses at the top QB's on our list, because the Grier situation is a real unknown.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, at least we're no longer writing him off as gone. ...never to play another down for the Orange and Blue.

Now everyone thinks they've got to handle all of the possible what if's of next year and game 7. Just relax folks. We have experienced coaches (who likely talk with other experienced coaches) who can handle what to do with our QB situation next year.

I think it's foolish to declare now what will be and I don't think Mac & Crew will try to do that. They will talk about competition, they'll give him as many reps as they want, when they want and they'll handle it as well as they can - which is very likely better than any of us - clearly better than some of us. :stickpoke:

33000.png

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but I just don't think having open QB competition through game seven is a healthy winning recipe.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably won't stick around and someone is going to beat out Harris in the spring without a doubt. We will be fine though. Coach Mac has us going in the right direction that's for sure and he will continue to get top recruits here. Go Gators!!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but I just don't think having open QB competition through game seven is a healthy winning recipe.
As opposed to what? Having a QB who can't play well at all in Treon? Do you think a true freshman is going to beat him out? Not likely.

I predict that Treon will start game 7 out of Mac's respect for him but if he continues to play as he has it will be his last.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think if we get Franks/Eason and a Grad transfer Mac will give Treon the "look son, you're best bet may be at another position or another school.....He ain't trotting Treon back out there next year. Not going to happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, a grad who is transferring from his last school because he doesn't want to compete for a starting job is going to come to UF and compete for a starting job?

That isn't going to happen. If it's competing against Treon and Trash, we probably get someone. But if one of the top kids come, I doubt it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with law. I doubt a grad transfer wants to compete with a couple of highly touted freshmen and del rio.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How could I have forgotten Del Rio????

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
True freshmen don't need to be playing in this conference. That leaves Del Rio, and Guy behind the GT...there's no chance that Treon would be better than the 3 of them despite what Mrs.Harris(Law) thinks. And worse case scenario is you might have to burn Franks redshirt if both the GT and Del Rio get injured.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
BTW graduate transfers happen because of coaching changes or guys hate the system their playing in....McGee ring a bell?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
True freshmen don't need to be playing in this conference. That leaves Del Rio, and Guy behind the GT...there's no chance that Treon would be better than the 3 of them despite what Mrs.Harris(Law) thinks. And worse case scenario is you might have to burn Franks redshirt if both the GT and Del Rio get injured.
I'd rather take my lumps with a freshman like eason than take em with louisville's 3rd stringer.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Russell Wilson was a graduate transfer and played great in his senior season at Whisky..
That's the exception, not the rule. I'm not opposed to a graduate transfer but if we make a promise not to take one in order to land both Franks and eason, I'd rather have the two freshmen.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's the exception, not the rule. I'm not opposed to a graduate transfer but if we make a promise not to take one in order to land both Franks and eason, I'd rather have the two freshmen.

Having 2 freshman of that caliper is just begging to have a team issue and one leaving down the road. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator