Scarlett: LDR's return can help UF make a statement

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sounds like Scarlett is happier w/ LDR at QB:

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Scarlett-Del-Rios-return-can-help-Gators-make-statement-48185110?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=161011_175655_Florida Gators&utm_content=Image

Scarlett: Del Rio's return can help Gators make statement

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- After six quarters of offensive ineptitude, Florida will return starting quarterback Luke Del Rio. The Gators have waited around for even longer than normal to prove that their offense isn't broken, it just needs the veteran hand it was counting on going into the season to provide the right chemistry.

At 4-1 and right in the thick of the SEC East race, Del Rio's return from a sprained MCL in his left knee may be coming at just the right time for a Florida team that has a newfound chip on its shoulder after hearing the gripes about the offense and even talk that the team tried to "dodge" last week's game against LSU.

"I feel like we can make a good statement coming back," running back Jordan Scarlett said. "We've got Luke Del Rio coming back. Not knocking (Austin) Appleby at all, it's just that Luke is a little bit more comfortable with the offense and understanding points and stuff like that. I think we'll do a lot better come Saturday."

Scarlett spoke of the team being ready to play with a chip on its shoulder after listening to loads of negativity surrounding not only their play, but the program's handling of the LSU game as Hurricane Matthew approached.

At the end of the day, they're ready to remind everyone why they're the defending SEC East champs and prove that the last few weeks were a fluke, simply a product of being without their starting quarterback.

"It's an advantage because the DBs have to take account for him now, they're not all just playing the run," Scarlett said. "Luke takes a little bit of load off my shoulders. He has everybody in command. He's like a general. He calms everybody down in tough situations and brings us all together."

Simply understanding how to get the offense into the right looks and out of bad ones could make a world of difference for an offense that has had 12 of its last 18 drives end in a three-and-out or a turnover dating back to the second half of the Tennessee game.

Keeping the chains moving will not only reduce the number of quick drives Florida has, but it'll also relieve some of the pressure on the defense.

"It’s big," starting center Cameron Dillard said. "He’s definitely helped us out a lot on offense, and he’s a guy that can go out there, get the job done. It’s great to have him back."

Del Rio doesn't think Florida needs to do anything special. He's not overselling what his return could do for the offense.

The Gators simply need guys they can count on to execute. In his first three starts, the redshirt sophomore did just that. It's his goal to make sure he -- and the rest of the Florida offense -- continue to do so moving forward.

"It’s going back to really just everybody just doing their job," Del Rio said. "It’s a block here, getting off of a press here; it’s very little things. It’s not like we’re letting eight people loose in the backfield every play. Just do your job on every play and stop worrying about what everybody else is doing and do what you have to do and we’ll be fine."

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Simply understanding how to get the offense into the right looks and out of bad ones could make a world of difference for an offense that has had 12 of its last 18 drives end in a three-and-out or a turnover dating back to the second half of the Tennessee game.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking. Can't prove it, so we'll just have to see I guess.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
"Luke takes a little bit of load off my shoulders. He has everybody in command. He's like a general. He calms everybody down in tough situations and brings us all together."

Good to see that LDR's teammates recognize his command and leadership. Now hopefully they respond.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think the loss of LDR has largerly been ignored by critics of the Gators the last couple of weeks. It took UT exactly 2 Qtrs to figure out how Nuss planned to use Appleby and he's been ineffective ever since.

Not that we were tearing it up before Luke went out but I believe we would've beat UT had Luke played. Like the players are saying, he commands and directs. He also doesn't make as many mistakes.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think the loss of LDR has largerly been ignored by critics of the Gators the last couple of weeks. It took UT exactly 2 Qtrs to figure out how Nuss planned to use Appleby and he's been ineffective ever since.

Not that we were tearing it up before Luke went out but I believe we would've beat UT had Luke played. Like the players are saying, he commands and directs. He also doesn't make as many mistakes.
This x 1000.
I'm not touting LDR as a great QB but I think we'll see a better performance from the offense this game.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I agree with just about everything said about LDR. He isn't the best passer in the NCAA, but he is the right man to lead our Offense. He knows it better and that is bigly (to steal a word from Trump). I think all you dooms day Gators calling for Mac to be fired will be surprised the rest of the season. I predicted 10 wins with an SEC East Championship and I am still with that prediction.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I hope you're 100% right....hell, 75% right. It's been 4 weeks since he last played and his stat line was 14/25, 186 yards, 1 INT. I think people forget that. It's like Grier's last game vs. Missouri (pathetic) and people acted like had he not gone out we'd have won the NC (maybe not that extreme...but many people think we wouldn't have lost to FSU and/or Bama/Michigan). My point is we need to keep our perspective in check. Appleby played admirably (he is averaging .5 INTs per game to LDR's .67 INT's per game) and I think a lot of his performance was on the OC/coaches for piss-poor play calling. I do think LDR is better, however, and I like what I've read from his teammates. If LDR can just have a 200+ yard day, complete 60% or more, and have a TD or two I think we should all be happy. If he has 186 yard games w/ NO touchdowns and 1 INT vs. SEC teams we likely lose.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My point is we need to keep our perspective in check. Appleby played admirably (he is averaging .5 INTs per game to LDR's .67 INT's per game.

In fairness to Luke, he likely had more of the playbook at his disposal and was allowed to take on more risk than AA. It's hard to throw picks when the coaches keep calling run plays directly into the line.

But I get what you're saying. Luke needs to be Jeff Driskel when we went 11-1: a manager of the offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mr Fooley, we never went 11-1 under Chimp and there is a huge difference between being a game manager and being a guy likr Drizzleskle whom the couches just take the ball out of your hands and make you handoff all day.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We may trounce Missouri with a score like 41-10. Everything is setting up.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see us using Nickle mostly since Misery throws a lot. That doesn't bode well for us. Dawson can be exploited just like UT did.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I hope you're 100% right....hell, 75% right. It's been 4 weeks since he last played and his stat line was 14/25, 186 yards, 1 INT. I think people forget that. It's like Grier's last game vs. Missouri (pathetic) and people acted like had he not gone out we'd have won the NC (maybe not that extreme...but many people think we wouldn't have lost to FSU and/or Bama/Michigan). My point is we need to keep our perspective in check. Appleby played admirably (he is averaging .5 INTs per game to LDR's .67 INT's per game) and I think a lot of his performance was on the OC/coaches for piss-poor play calling. I do think LDR is better, however, and I like what I've read from his teammates. If LDR can just have a 200+ yard day, complete 60% or more, and have a TD or two I think we should all be happy. If he has 186 yard games w/ NO touchdowns and 1 INT vs. SEC teams we likely lose.

He played for 2,5 qtrs in that game. Reasonable to assume he might have gone 21/32 250 yards 1-2 TD and 1 INT had he finished the remaing Qtr+

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mr Fooley, we never went 11-1 under Chimp and there is a huge difference between being a game manager and being a guy likr Drizzleskle whom the couches just take the ball out of your hands and make you handoff all day.

In 2012 we went 11-1 in the regular season. The good years are few and far between so it's hard to miss that one. Driskel may not have been an elite QB but clearly, in that season, he didn't lose games. Until we recruit-up, I'll take defense, a run game, and a game manager.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In 2012 we went 11-1 in the regular season.
SUCH FVKKINH LOSER TALK. You sound like those douchebag WVU fans who talk about their undefeated seasons. Whats next? Talking about our undefeated or 1 loss months?
Driskel may not have been an elite QB but clearly, in that season, he didn't lose games.
Driskel lost every game that year when he did anything other than handoff all game.

It was also one of the worst two loss teams in the history.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I hope so. I'm very skeptical of Nuss' play calling. We'll see.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SUCH FVKKINH LOSER TALK. You sound like those douchebag WVU fans who talk about their undefeated seasons. Whats next? Talking about our undefeated or 1 loss months?

Driskel loss every game that year when he did anything other than handoff all game.

It was also one of the worst two loss teams in the history.

You go, girl. I'm picturing you Z snapping while you hit send on that post

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To me you can tell a distinct difference with LDR when he played. Good at moving the O, direction, communication, etc. While we are all suspect with Nuss' playcalling a good manageable QB can possibly negate some of that. If LDR knows the offense so well perhaps he has a little more between the ears than Nuss. But if the O responds, LDR plays well, and UF improves....we may have that answer on that.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He played for 2,5 qtrs in that game. Reasonable to assume he might have gone 21/32 250 yards 1-2 TD and 1 INT had he finished the remaing Qtr+
Stop trying to make sense! I ruffles the Debbie downers feathers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator