scary times

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I know how blessed I am. My dad lived till I was 63. Most of my family lived to ripe ages and I never lost someone really close to an accident or tragic event. I did lose my youngest brother to cancer when he was 44. But he had no children. But now at the age of 67 my closest friends are knocking on that door. Three in particular. My brother just called from the hospital and he had a heart event last night. He has had bad health since covid shtttt kckddd his ass recently. He is my best friend. My other one just got diagnosed with melanoma and he has had BAD health issues the last 6 yrs or so. Another long time close friend is only alive cause his wife is amazing after his major stroke. My other two best friends have real health issues. Its like Im gonna now have to cultivate some new good friends. I spent a lot of time with a local 87 yr old working on the recent fall festival. We seemed to hit it off. But the idea of losing so many people soon is unsettling. If I lose my brother its gonna be tough for me. He has always had my back. And vica versa.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We don’t agree on a lot of things but I sure hope you find comfort and peace with God, family and friends in this crazy circle of life. If growing old were easy, everybody would do it.

Go Gators ——,===,<

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I spent a lot of time with a local 87 yr old

Not I wise choice if you're looking for friends with longevity remaining. Maybe find a few teenage girls? College age? At least find someone that can help take care of you and yours should something happen. Just my .02 on the matter. Other than that, these days late 60's isn't so old, but everyone's different and we each have our own unique time available here. Make the most of what time you have left with those close to you, that's all I can say.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I know how blessed I am. My dad lived till I was 63. Most of my family lived to ripe ages and I never lost someone really close to an accident or tragic event. I did lose my youngest brother to cancer when he was 44. But he had no children. But now at the age of 67 my closest friends are knocking on that door. Three in particular. My brother just called from the hospital and he had a heart event last night. He has had bad health since covid shtttt kckddd his ass recently. He is my best friend. My other one just got diagnosed with melanoma and he has had BAD health issues the last 6 yrs or so. Another long time close friend is only alive cause his wife is amazing after his major stroke. My other two best friends have real health issues. Its like Im gonna now have to cultivate some new good friends. I spent a lot of time with a local 87 yr old working on the recent fall festival. We seemed to hit it off. But the idea of losing so many people soon is unsettling. If I lose my brother its gonna be tough for me. He has always had my back. And vica versa.

My sincerest of best wishes to you. Losing people close to us is one of life's biggest challenges.

From experience, I'd say hug them close and tell them what you want them to know while you can.

These moments help us navigate our path after they've crossed over.

God bless you sir.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
So what’s the “secret to life?”
What do you live for and makes you excited?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Rather than mourn for those lost, or may soon pass, be thankful for the relationships you've had all these years. Tell those individuals how thankful you are for what they have meant to you and try to empathize with their current suffering. Express to each how much you care for them and why. It will likely be a conversation that they will truly appreciate and in the long run, after each of them is gone, YOU will be able to think back to with no regrets.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So PE, I too was blessed with parents who lived a long time, I was 66 when they passed. I also have had comrades and friends die young, doing what they were called to do. The last 20 years, I taught very senior adult Bible study (3 members over 100) and have been blessed by learning how to finish well. Even when frail, those folks exhibited love and care for each other, Christ's love. The only guarantee we have in this life is one day we will meet Christ face to face. When we live our life for Him, doing His will, and trusting His promises, the number of our days isn't the important data, it is the expectation of hearing Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This is, of course, the "curse" of great health and it is still better than the alternative. Don't be unsettled, by the death of your friends, particularly those that made it pretty far down the path. Be happy for them, and take joy that they called you "friend." By all means think of them often and talk about them to anyone who will listen. (This place is great for that; if nothing else we do all "listen" to each other, though the "friendships" are limited and somewhat tenuous.) And yes, you will have to cultivate new friends unless you want to be the last one standing. My FIL is 97 and the only friend he has is my MIL, who is 94. It's been this way for years. He's content with it, so it's all good I suppose. My MIL on the other hand is a very social person and has quite a few friends. She's outlived many over the years, but develops new ones over time. Your call which one you want to be.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Passing that 60-65 age is a major health milestone. It's a true death trap.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
We don’t agree on a lot of things but I sure hope you find comfort and peace with God, family and friends in this crazy circle of life. If growing old were easy, everybody would do it.

Go Gators ——,===,<
So PE, I too was blessed with parents who lived a long time, I was 66 when they passed. I also have had comrades and friends die young, doing what they were called to do. The last 20 years, I taught very senior adult Bible study (3 members over 100) and have been blessed by learning how to finish well. Even when frail, those folks exhibited love and care for each other, Christ's love. The only guarantee we have in this life is one day we will meet Christ face to face. When we live our life for Him, doing His will, and trusting His promises, the number of our days isn't the important data, it is the expectation of hearing Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Excited Lets Go GIF

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Coach...All:

Get right with God. Hopefully most of your friends are. I'm 62. Do I want to die? No, but I'm ready. I believe this is only a stopping place...Make the best of this.

Fear is not of God. Have peace and enjoy life where you are.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
On 11/10/22 I have to go in for a procedure to do a biopsy on my prostate.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
On 11/10/22 I have to go in for a procedure to do a biopsy on my prostate.

Getting old ain't for sissies.
Another comforting thought for those of us of the male persuasion. 100% of males who die after age 70 have prostate cancer of some kind. Mostly though it doesn't kill us, we just have it. Prayer for your biopsy and you are right about the getting old part.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
So what’s the “secret to life?”
What do you live for and makes you excited?
I read a guy named Sean Dietrich each day. Southern boy from Nw fla. This was his short today. He does one everyday and it ends up in my email. I pretty much agree these people know the answer. Treat people well. Give as much as you can give it will be returned in lots of different ways. I have told most of my close friends exactly how I feel. At different times over the last few years. Its weird. When I was younger my goal was to live long enough for my two oldest kids to be able to move on without me. They are now there in their 30s. So my dumazzz goes and has two more (15 and 18) and its a tougher world. Im not afraid of death, at least I think that. But Im afraid of losing my close friends. Or chcking out before my two teens are ready to take on the world.

The L Word​

SEAN DIETRICH OCTOBER 25, 2022
Noon. A Mexican taco truck. Birmingham. This parking lot is packed, if there was an empty square-inch of space it’s already filled with a Nissan or a Kia.
Earlier this morning, I was on a radio show. The host drilled me with loaded questions. It was a disaster. I was supposed to be plugging my new book, instead the host was asking slanted questions about hot-button, divisive topics.
The problem is, I don’t know how to answer divisive questions. I’m not a smart guy. I didn’t graduate high school.
Moreover, I wasn’t a particularly bright student to begin with. I was always getting letters and numbers mixed up. In fact, it took me 30 years to figure out that “taters” was spelled with a P.
I’m not qualified to talk about controversial issues. I have a hard enough time just spelling my last name.
The host’s main question of the morning was, “What do you think will save this country?”
Sadly, I had no answer for him. My only salvation was to fake a bladder emergency.
But I’m thinking about his question right now, standing in this taco truck line.
What will save this country?
Ahead of me in line is a female police officer. She wears a blue uniform, ballistic body armor, and a chest-mounted radio. She is powerfully built. She could twist me into a human pretzel, dip me in garlic sauce and serve me with a Mick Ultra.
“Ma’am,” I begin, “can I ask you a personal question?”
“Sure.”
“What do you think will save this country?”
She frowns. “Save this what? Whatchoo mean?”
So I repeat the question.
“You know what I think will save this country?” she finally answers. “People looking out for each other, people being a blessing instead of being selfish.”
I nod and write it down.
I order chilaquiles verdes, which is my all-time favorite Mexican dish. I was first introduced to this dish when I played accordion in a Mexican band. Don’t ask.
The guy at the window is Latino, hair slicked to his head. He is young. Robust. His apron is stained in reds and greens.
“What do you think will save this country?” I ask.
“No inglés,” he answers.
Luckily, his wife is from Kansas City. She translates, then interprets his answer.
She speaks: “He says he thinks kindness will save this country.”
I write it down.
I get my food in a foam box. I sit at a picnic table and commence shoveling. The food is delicious. The salsa verde is tart enough to make a grown man cuss with delight and look around for inanimate objects to slap.
The woman eating lunch across from me is wearing a fast-food uniform. She says she’s just gotten off from the late shift. After she finishes eating, she will pick up her three kids from daycare, then go home and sleep for eight hours.
I ask her what she thinks will save this country.
She thinks about my question as she drags a chip through a slurry of salsa.
“Well, I think it’s up to you and me. I think people acting super sweet to everyone. I think just being nice and, I don’t know. I mean, there are a lot of people out there who could use a real friend. I’m one of’em.”
Not a bad answer. She would have done great on talk radio.
When I finish my meal, I am already in serious need of Rolaids. I walk to my vehicle, jingling my keys, thinking about what a failure I was on the radio this morning. Why is eloquence so hard for me?
In the parking lot I see a young man deboarding his minivan with the help of his mother.
His mother lifts him out of the car, hoisting him into a wheelchair. No hydraulic lift. The woman simply bear hugs her son and muscles him into his chair.
“My son loves Mexican food,” she tells me. “I get him out of the house a few times each week, I take him here. He loves tamales. These are the best in town.”
I ask her what she thinks will save this country.
She is taken off guard by my question. She asks what exactly I mean. So I repeat myself. She is confused, and I am starting to feel ridiculous for having even asked.
But I am saved. Because the young man interrupts her.
“I know what will save this country!” he says.
“And what’s that?” I ask.
He holds up a finger. “One word,” he yells. “And it starts with an L!”
Just as I thought.
Taters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads