Scrimmage notes

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/sights-sounds-notes-from-florida-football-practice-4

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — It was brutally hot at Florida’s practice Monday, with a heat index of 104 degrees.

Our Facebook Live video of practice, which can be watched here, was cut short because of the heat.

But the Gators football team overcame the heat and looked sharp early in practice.

Here are notes from the portions open to the media as well as videos below:

• Offensive starters in the fastball period: quarterback Luke Del Rio, running back Jordan Cronkrite, receivers Antonio Callaway, Ahmad Fulwood and Dre Massey, tight end C’yontai Lews, offensive linemen (left to right) David Sharpe, Martez Ivey, Cam Dillard, Tyler Jordan and Fred Johnson.
  • Defensive starters in the fastball period: defensive linemen Bryan Cox Jr., Taven Bryan, Joey Ivie and Jordan Sherit, linebackers Alex Anzalone, Jarrad Davis and Daniel McMillian, cornerbacks Chauncey Gardner and Jalen Tabor and safeties Marcus Maye and Nick Washington.
  • Monday was the first time the media has seen Callaway with the first-team offense in the fastball period. He caught a screen pass on the first play from scrimmage.
  • Gardner worked at cornerback during fastball and gave up a touchdown pass to Fulwood.
  • In half-skeleton work, Massey and Brandon Powell both scored from the slot. Cronkrite also caught a few passes out of the backfield and will likely be the most involved running back in Florida’s passing game this season.
  • Freshman wide receiver Freddie Swain continues to look the part and also made a nice catch. Meanwhile, Anzalone had good coverage during one his reps in the drill.
  • Wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland (hamstring) was in the injury pit along with linebacker Kylan Johnson and cornerback Chris Williamson. Their injuries did not appear to be serious. Wells (hamstring) made his way to the pit with a slight limp after participating in routes on air.
  • Steve Spurrier was at Florida’s practice again, watching in the shade underneath a tent.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...st-scrimmage-callaway-status-rolin-departure/

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Florida coach Jim McElwain met with the media Monday to take reporters’ questions about the team’s first scrimmage, as well as other topics recently in the news.

“At Friday’s scrimmage, we were able to get in 118 snaps, not counting special teams,” McElwain said. “There was a lot of good work by a lot of guys. We got a lot of good work in with the young, more inexperienced guys, especially on defense, with linebackers and the secondary.

The quarterbacks also got a positive report from the coach.

“I thought both quarterbacks, both Austin (Appleby) and Luke (Del Rio) had their moments, and had some other moments we need to get cleaned up a little bit,” McElwain said. “Kyle (Trask) and Feleipe (Franks) – I’m really happy with those guys. They continue to grow and it’s fun to watch those guys progress.”

The two signal-callers competing for the starting job handled situation drills particularly well.

“Yeah. I really liked Luke in the red area, he was really good,” McElwain said. “He did take a two-minute drive and stuck it in the end zone. We didn’t get points in the two-minute before the half, but we got points at the end of the game when we needed them. I thought that was good. I thought Austin, just the team move the field, especially our RPO (run pass option) stuff. I thought he handled that better during the play of the scrimmage. Both of them had their moments.”

The other big topics for McElwain to address included the departure of LB Matt Rolin and the status of WR Antonio Callaway, who was recently cleared by the university following allegations of sexual assault.

Rolin’s heart apparently was no longer in football.

“He just kind of lost the love of the game,” McElwain said of the former linebacker. “He’s going to stay and graduate, should be done actually this semester if he chooses to use his time right. And that’s kind of the goal for him. And for the right reasons. He wasn’t really into it and yet at the same time he saw he was taking reps from some of the young guys that have been showing some promise. So for him and the injuries he’s had, he’s just chosen that maybe there’s something else in his life. For the right reasons. He really wasn’t into it. At the same time, he thought he was taking reps from some of the young guys that have been showing some progress. Him and the injuries he’s had, he’s chosen to maybe do something else with his life.”

When the coach was asked about the Callaway news from Friday, which included references to the star receiver’s marijuana use, he explained his priority is to make sure the sophomore gets the proper help and guidance he needs.

“Here’s kind of the piece to that. You know what guys part of our job is to help educate. If there are some issues, find help. If it becomes habitual, then there are some consequences,” McElwain said. “At the same time, through the stuff we do. Through the education piece, I’m here to help him. And I’m here to make sure if there’s something there that isn’t a one-off but obviously is something that is going to be a huge problem, which you’re obviously aware of some of the cases here over the years that have missed some things because of those details.

“I truly am here to help these guys learn, grow, become better fathers when they grow up, help society and help their communities. Any way I can do from teaching through historical precedence, be it something good or be it something not so good, that’s really what it’s all about it. That’s something we’ll do. If it becomes one of those deals through the counseling hasn’t worked and that kind of stuff, then there will be some harder consequences – and yet those haven’t come up yet.”

McElwain said it was difficult for Callaway to be away from the team for the spring and Summer A semesters.

“He has dealt with a lot, obviously not being allowed on campus, not being part of the family, not being part what we can do to help, be supportive,” McElwain said. “There was a lot of time there, a lot of time to sit and think and really look deep down inside of you and say what am I learning from. So, what I have I seen? I think time will tell.”

Held out of Monday’s practice due to injuries: Quincy Wilson (ankle, “not serious”), OG Kavaris Harkless, OL Nick Villano, DL Tanner Rowell (foot), Kylan Johnson (lower back spasm), DB Duke Dawson

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like Callaway will be playing in game one.

Yeah. I think the starting receivers will be him, Powell, and Swain. If it's a 4 receiver set, I guess Fulwood. I think Massey will mainly be a returner.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. I think the starting receivers will be him, Powell, and Swain. If it's a 4 receiver set, I guess Fulwood. I think Massey will mainly be a returner.
I've read that Massey was pushing Powell

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

No way is Swain getting a start from Day one...

Mark it down; it will be Callaway, Worton, and Powell/Massey

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No way is Swain getting a start from Day one...

Mark it down; it will be Callaway, Worton, and Powell/Massey

Agree. Worton will be the other starter. I'd be surprised is Swain catches more than 10 passes this year and/or doesn't redshirt.

Sep 29, 2015
I expect Worton to start, too. What we saw from Callaway last year as a freshman is atypical. I would be surprised if any of the freshmen this year even remotely approach the impact he had (excluding Massey, who is coming over from Juco; I expect him to make a meaningful contribution).

Edit: One of those videos has Callaway running a square-in (?) route. Compare how he runs with the receivers in the other videos and you can see why he is the real deal. Fast but super smooth. The other guys are quick/fast, but they're more herky-jerky in their movements. Callaway will be the best
true wide receiver we've had since, who, Gaffney/Reche Caldwell (I don't consider Harvin to be a true WR)? And I think he will be a lot better than those two, as well.

Last edited:

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I read an article on Worton - hopefully the SECCG helped flip the switch for him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Other discussion from the links:

- 118 plays is a serious scrimmage, lots of reps for young players. I like that.
- The starting OL is pretty solid as it stands, we need depth and some players to step up. Outside the top 5 we are very lacking.
- I think it was honorable for Rolin to step aside and not take reps away from the younger LBs.
- It's awesome that Spurrier is attending practices. I'd love to know how much "input" he's given. The dude must be bored!
- Taven Bryan w/ the 1st team D (I'm sure they were just resting Brantley). He needs to make a jump this year or we're in trouble across the DL. I'd like to hear how Clark is doing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Whats wrong with Dawson?

Held out of practice as a precaution: http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...k-jim-mcelwain-happy-with-last-two-practices/

Injuries

Quincy Wilson was held out from practice with an ankle injury. Wilson being held out of practice Monday was precautionary.
Kavaris Harkless has been held out of practice for two days.
Kylan Johnson began practice off to the side with back spasms.
Brandon Powell (foot) was back fully participating
Duke Dawson was held out of practice as a precautionary measure.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From the Gatorcountry story:

Defense:

Dawson and Wilson missing Monday’s practice gave younger players a chance to show how they’ve progressed.
Both Joseph Putu and Jeawon Taylor were singled out as guys who have stepped up recently.
Mac said Jeawon Taylor and Jeremiah Moon would play a lot of snaps, even on special teams.
Kylan Johnson, who made the move from safety to linebacker, is picking up the game more now. McElwain credited him for being quicker with his pre-snap reads, checks and calls.

Offense:

David Sharpe has responded to McElwain calling him out to be more of a leader and the rest of the offensive line looks to Sharpe.
Dre Massey is developing and the staff is looking at creative ways to get the ball into his hands.
McElwain said Riles’ injury is an opportunity for Sandifer and Buchanan to step up.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sandifer and Buchanan should already be better than Riles.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So now there is a tiny but vocal Worton cult developing among the Gcmb masterminds? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So now there is a tiny but vocal Worton cult developing among the Gcmb masterminds? :Rotflmao:

Or maybe just reading what the head coach has said about the WR's? I don't know. That...or a "cult".

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So now there is a tiny but vocal Worton cult developing among the Gcmb masterminds? :Rotflmao:
So you don't think Worton is gonna be a factor? I personally have no idea but he looked pretty good in the spring game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.