SEC is Bama and not much else

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This point has been discussed on this board since it opened. And when top tier SEC schools such as UF must lure its head coach from Colorado State, what do you expect? With few exceptions, SEC coaches are a very deficient lot.

Let's look at this:

EAST

Florida - Jim McElwain - Previous Job: Head Coach Colorado State

UGA - Kirby Smart - Previous Job: DC Alabama (no head coaching experience)

Tenn - Butch Jones - Previous Job: Head Coach Cincinnati (previously head coach at Central Michigan)

Vandy - Derek Mason - Previous Job: DC Stanford

Kentucky - Mark Stoops - Previous Job: DC FSU

Missouri - Barry Odom - Previous Job: DC Missouri

South Carolina - Will Muschamp - Previous Job: DC Auburn (former UF head coach)

WEST

Alabama - Nick Saban - Previous Job: Head Coach Miami Dolphins

LSU - Ed Orgeron - Previous Job: DL LSU (previous head coach at Ole Miss)

Texas A&M - Kevin Sumlin - Previous Job: Head Coach Houston

Miss State - Dan Mullin - Previous Job: OC Florida

Ole Miss - Matt Luke - Previous Job: Co-OC/OL Ole Miss

Arkansas - Brett Bielema - Previous Job: Head Coach Wisconsin

Auburn - Gus Malzahn - Previous Job: Head Coach Arkansas State

----

So, of all those coaches, is/was Brett Bielema the most qualified/best hire before he took the job (BEFORE he took the job)? Or Sumlin? Both were head coaches, but Bielema was a successful coach in a P5 conference.

Lot's of DC's in there too.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Let's look at this:

EAST

Florida - Jim McElwain - Previous Job: Head Coach Colorado State

UGA - Kirby Smart - Previous Job: DC Alabama (no head coaching experience)

Tenn - Butch Jones - Previous Job: Head Coach Cincinnati (previously head coach at Central Michigan)

Vandy - Derek Mason - Previous Job: DC Stanford

Kentucky - Mark Stoops - Previous Job: DC FSU

Missouri - Barry Odom - Previous Job: DC Missouri

WEST

Alabama - Nick Saban - Previous Job: Head Coach Miami Dolphins

LSU - Ed Orgeron - Previous Job: DL LSU (previous head coach at Ole Miss)

Texas A&M - Kevin Sumlin - Previous Job: Head Coach Houston

Miss State - Dan Mullin - Previous Job: OC Florida

Ole Miss - Matt Luke - Previous Job: Co-OC/OL Ole Miss

Arkansas - Brett Bielema - Previous Job: Head Coach Wisconsin

----

So, of all those coaches, is/was Brett Bielema the most qualified/best hire before he took the job (BEFORE he took the job)? Or Sumlin? Both were head coaches, but Bielema was a successful coach in a P5 conference.

Great info...lots head scratchers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It's Brett Bielema or Butch Jones as the most qualified, and that says something about the league. Is Saban the only coach with multiple P5 jobs before his current position. fck think about that Saban had 2 P5 jobs, and an NFL job before Bama... the next best was coach at Wisconsin or coach at Cinncinatti (Big East was a P5).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great info...lots head scratchers.

Head scratchers now, and questionable even when they were hired if people were objective. For the first time that I can ever recall, ADs all but dismissed actual resumes and deservedness, and focused almost strictly on whether or not a candidate had at one time worked for Saban(and now Meyer).

Once passed Nick in the hallway? Support staff job. Rode the elevator with him? Even better.

You'd think that smart people would learn from the failed Patriot offshoots like Weis, Cromell and Mangino over a decade ago, but apparently not.

For that matter, Kiffin's association with Carroll is really what ultimately started the vols' demise.

And it's not like Stoops in '96-'98, where he made an immediate defensive impact on Spurrier's team and launched a career from there. Not to mention that it landed him a job at a program that while historical, was at a serious low. Much different than a program firing a guy who averaged 10 wins for a first time HC.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Head scratchers now, and questionable even when they were hired if people were objective. For the first time that I can ever recall, ADs all but dismissed actual resumes and deservedness, and focused almost strictly on whether or not a candidate had at one time worked for Saban(and now Meyer).

Once passed Nick in the hallway? Support staff job. Rode the elevator with him? Even better.

You'd think that smart people would learn from the failed Patriot offshoots like Weis, Cromell and Mangino over a decade ago, but apparently not.

For that matter, Kiffin's association with Carroll is really what ultimately started the vols' demise.

And it's not like Stoops in '96-'98, where he made an immediate defensive impact on Spurrier's team and launched a career from there. Not to mention that it landed him a job at a program that while historical, was at a serious low. Much different than a program firing a guy who averaged 10 wins for a first time HC.

Agree on the Saban thing. I don't get it. The one I do get is Kirby. He spent A LOT of time there and actually learned "the system" vs. most Saban guys who are out within 2 to 4 years.

You can't really dismiss former assistants getting head coaching jobs; they have to start somewhere. And not all of them are failures.

But at big-time programs, such as ours, we shouldn't be hiring first time head coaches, period. At least McElwain had been a head coach....I know, it was in the MAC and at Colorado State, but many good/solid/successful coaches came from programs like that. Basically, it's hit or miss.

Look at Texas, they got Strong....who had been successful at Louisville and certainly paid his dues as an assistant under 3 national champion coaches....and he failed. So now, they hire a guy from Houston who was only a head coach for 2 years.

Look at FSU, as much as we all hate Fisher you cannot deny is success....and he was a first time head coach.

Look at Penn State, they hired a guy from Vanderbilt.

USC just hired one of their assistants who took over on an interim basis.

UGA had success w/ Richt, a first time head coach. Sure no national title, but they guy averaged almost 10 wins/year.

Ohio State had huge success w/ Tressel, who came from Youngstown State.

Dabo Swinney, an on-staff assistant who took over for the fired coach.

It goes on and on. As many of these successes, no matter how you measure "success", there as many failures (some would call Richt a failure, some would call it a success).

I just don't understand why we've settled 3 out of 4 hires over the last 16 years (since Spurrier left). I don't get it. I don't get it. I don't get it.

And one last thing; I'm sick and tired of the sunshine pumpers who put whoever the head coach is OVER the program. When it's sinking you f'ing get off! We saw the same pumpers (or same types) w/ Zook, Muschamp, and now McElwain.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And one last thing; I'm sick and tired of the sunshine pumpers who put whoever the head coach is OVER the program. When it's sinking you f'ing get off! We saw the same pumpers (or same types) w/ Zook, Muschamp, and now McElwain.

There it is again...pumpers at some point HURT the program by trying to hold on to rotten goods. For what? In all kinds of weather? Hey dumbass, it's not rain, it's Mac pissing all over your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.