Sgt. Carter or Charlie Strong

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n292066 said:
There isn't a person alive who could fix Texas in under 5 years time. They really let the world pass them by when they ran TAMU, UN, and Mizzou off. Now they are having to battle Baylor, TCU, TTU and OU for the remaining recruits who don't want to play in the SEC...

I call BS. Look what Mac is doing year one. Urban could turn it around in 2 years as could Saban. I suspect there are several others that could, as well. He hasn't recruited worth a crap because he had no ties out there. He tried to get kids from places he recruited in the past to go to Texas...hasn't worked. He's on borrowed time.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n291882 said:
Both get another year, and Strong's seat is medium warm by end of next season. I want him to do well, but he will only show moderate improvement, if any, over this year's record. TX will have a quicker trigger in that sense. TN will keep feeding more rope to Butch through this year and the next. Yes, he will continue to disappoint next year as they lose games they shouldn't, mostly due to coaching, but the alumni will be too afraid of what they can replace him with. The evil they know will outlast Strong at Texas. But both get this year and (most of) next year.

No way Strong survives this season. Several national media members already calling for his head. No one ever survives that and his team has shown little to no improvement so it's not like he's gonna suddenly turn it around.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;292066 said:
There isn't a person alive who could fix Texas in under 5 years time. They really let the world pass them by when they ran TAMU, UN, and Mizzou off. Now they are having to battle Baylor, TCU, TTU and OU for the remaining recruits who don't want to play in the SEC...
First Bert and now this? You're freaking batsh*t crazy as a loon Crete. There are easily half a dozen guys that could have that program back to being a big boy in the Midwest in one years time. Just because no one wants to coach in the garbage big 12 doesn't mean their isn't anyone who wouldn't kill it if they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n292114 said:
No way Strong survives this season. Several national media members already calling for his head. No one ever survives that and his team has shown little to no improvement so it's not like he's gonna suddenly turn it around.

Several national media have already said he has plenty of breathing room including Joe Schad. He's extremely solid with his sources. In additional, I'll take ATX's source as better than most.

As as to your post above, his best players are freshman. Another thing that's been said in national media. He's just starting to clean things up and establish himself. I think he survives.

Finally, every time OU is supposed to curb stomp Texas, they either lose or it's far too close for comfort. I think we'll see the same thing this year.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n290721 said:
Texas has fallen so far you cannot even see the bottom from there.

This makes no sense. If they are on the bottom, why can't they see it? Its right there where they are, not some great distance away. Its sort of like saying they did a 360 and got the hell out of there.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;292138 said:
This makes no sense. If they are on the bottom, why can't they see it? Its right there where they are, not some great distance away. Its sort of like saying they did a 360 and got the hell out of there.
Make like a tree, and leaf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n292113 said:
I call BS. Look what Mac is doing year one. Urban could turn it around in 2 years as could Saban. I suspect there are several others that could, as well. He hasn't recruited worth a crap because he had no ties out there. He tried to get kids from places he recruited in the past to go to Texas...hasn't worked. He's on borrowed time.

I'm not endorsing Charlie. He's not a major level program HC imo. I also think you're simplifying their biggest problem. Meyer and Saban do not coach or recruit 7 on 7 football players, which is what Texas HS football players are a product of for the last 7 or 8 years. These kids want to play in Klingsbury, Briles, Stoops type systems and that's not going to change anytime soon. And while these systems are fun to play in and watch they just aren't going to win NC's. In other words Texas has become the 5th or 6th option for Texas HS recruits.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n292127 said:
Just because no one wants to coach in the garbage big 12
Thank you for proving my point.....:exactly:BTW I'm not defending Charlie. There's a reason he wasn't hired here. BTW, nice of you to put up a Bielema thread this week, will you put one up next week when Arky shocks Bama?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n292219 said:
BTW, nice of you to put up a Bielema thread this week, will you put one up next week when Arky shocks Bama?

:lmao:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What most people don't realize is that Texas was an absolute mess when Charlie got here. He had to kick a lot of players off the team for discipline issues when he first got here. He has to change the culture and get guys to start working hard. It's actually worse than what Chump had to deal with (if you look at that ESPN article). Chump got rid of some bad character issues, but couldn't get discipline on the field because he didn't have the coaching skills to do it. We see the difference between him and McElwain.

Charlie is in the process of changing a really bad culture. Mack Brown let things get really bad and Texas kept him too long. Add into that A&M joining the SEC and TCU joining the Big 12 while Briles is succeeding at Baylor and you now have a much tougher time recruiting than when Mack was at Texas.

The biggest mistake Texas ever made was the Longhorn Network. If they make that the Big 12 network then Mizzou, A&M, Nebraska all stay and it is a different world. They were selfish and it is costing them. Now Charlie has to rebuild the brand at a recruiting level, but Texas can and will be back. Just like Florida... there really isnt' a better place in the state to play if you are a recruit.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n292248 said:
I'm callin it right now.....Arky 20 Bama 16....

chwbcn.gif

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n292248 said:
I'm callin it right now.....Arky 20 Bama 16....
Channeling my inner Fever...Wanna bet?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n292315 said:
Channeling my inner Fever...Wanna bet?

No.....I'm already betting for my money back that the Fat Basturd cost me against TAMU....no more betting :lol:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
OFF TOPIC:

Zambo;n292138 said:
Its sort of like saying they did a 360 ...

My wife says this, all the time, and it drives me nuts. One of my pet peeves is how she butchers common phrases like this along with the continuous use of the word "Ginormous:"

ON TOPIC:

Charlie is on year 2, facing the tremendous job of house cleaning while in the face of rising conference competition as others have noted. I think he gets fired, as I don't believe he's a solid HC (lack of offense), but I firmly believe he is given this year, and likely the next, to show improvement and get HIS players and system in place. By the end of year 3, if they aren't winning 8+ games (and I'm not sure they will by then), his seat will be getting warmer, if not hot. But until then, they have to give him the chance considering the challenge any coach would have faced coming in there.

Butch is on year 3. While the expectation is that your staff, your system and at least half the roster is your players putting it together and showing the improvement needed. I think Butch is in more trouble, in that he's a year further into 'the plan' and isn't showing he can win the close games. I suspect he'll sacrifice the OC at the end of the season and the school will give him one more year to get over the hump. Again, not a solid HC, so I see year 4 being the end for him - unless their AD and fans are willing to do what we did and extend a bad coach too long. In which case year 5 will prove he was a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.