Shaq in Gainesville

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Kids have been playing in the streets forever. Let kids be kids. I think they are smart enough to get out of the way whenever a car is coming haha

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
shaq-gainesville_fbq6lh8deyil177b26t4sahkr.jpg

Shaq Attack

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, It's a safety issue, first.

You're not going to believe this story, but I actually survived touch football in the street. The curbs were the sideline markers and the front bumper of the neighbor's Monte Carlo was the goal line. Although now that I think about it some more, the curvature of the curb probably should have led to a sprained ankle and a lawsuit or two.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You're not going to believe this story, but I actually survived touch football in the street. The curbs were the sideline markers and the front bumper of the neighbor's Monte Carlo was the goal line. Although now that I think about it some more, the curvature of the curb probably should have led to a sprained ankle and a lawsuit or two.

Yep. It's amazing we reached adulthood. But that street doesn't look busy enough to worry too much about safety issues, as aka would suggest.

Great pub for my hometown. Kudos to Shaq for reinforcing some positive news and activities. I heard he wasn't always this engaging with the public, but there's reason to believe he was influenced by his agent (a real piece of work) or maybe he's matured a lot since his Orlando days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
or maybe he's (Shaq) matured a lot since his Orlando days.

Night and day. Shaq is nowhere near the same person he was in his Orlando days. He matured into a pretty good guy.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Really not trying to be a curmudgeon, ya'll. I'm a letter carrier and I guess I just have a different perspective on it. Nice feel good story and I understand the police trying to get as much mileage out of it as possible. Maybe it could encourage some other ideas of police and community interaction. It's probably needed.
It's just that I deal, on a regular and sometimes daily basis with kids playing ball in the street oblivious to anything happening around them. The goals are left completely in the streets, permanently, for everyone to have to drive around. Some are too low to drive under and I've even caught a net on my mirrors trying to get around them. They often block boxes which is also a pain. If they were not concerned about safety, why did they block the street for their photo op? Kids are gonna be kids and I know it's hard to stop them from playing in the street. It's a parental issue(whole other issue). I just think it's dumb to buy your kid a goal and say, "There ya' go, now go play in the street."

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I encourage anyone on this board on aka's route to sic their dog on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.