Should college football recruits choose Florida or FSU?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Winston is really, really good. But he plays in the A-she-shee, played the worst UF team in 35 years, and the worst SEC champion since the late 80s. We'll see this year.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Winston has all the characteristics of self imploding. We'll see if there is any redemptive character to go along with chucking a football.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze said:
You guys are nuts when you say Winston is not a great quarterback. He is the most accurate quarterback in college football. He doesn't just throw short passes like Petty and Mariota, he throws downfield and is more accurate on a deep pass than anyone in the game. I just think you are blinded by the fact thaqt he plays for a rival. He may be the best college football player of all time. No one has done what he has done as a freshman, and I expect him to only be better next year. It's also pretty silly to think his receivers were the reason for his success, he always outs the ball where they vcan caytch it an his ability to change the speed of the ball to warrant the type of pass is outstanding. He has all the pitches, fast, slow, and intermediate. There's only one pass needed to prove he's better than all the rest. The bomb he threw to Benjamin in Gainesville was it. He threw the ball 65 yards in the air for a strike. If you watch the NFL combine, the quarterbacks can't even throw the ball that far, much less with accuracy in a real game. I would think he's gone after this year since he'll be the first pick in the draft. Let's hope so, otherwise we can expect Winston to dominate UF for another year just like another all time great player, Herschel Walker. If you don't know Winston is a great player after watching him last year, you don't know much about football. Let's not be petty, give the guy his due, he has certainly earned it.
Best football player of all time????? Now he is a good QB and I am not that talented to determine how good. He still needs a line to block, and receivers to catch.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze said:
You guys are nuts when you say Winston is not a great quarterback. He is the most accurate quarterback in college football. He doesn't just throw short passes like Petty and Mariota, he throws downfield and is more accurate on a deep pass than anyone in the game. I just think you are blinded by the fact thaqt he plays for a rival. He may be the best college football player of all time. No one has done what he has done as a freshman, and I expect him to only be better next year. It's also pretty silly to think his receivers were the reason for his success, he always outs the ball where they vcan caytch it an his ability to change the speed of the ball to warrant the type of pass is outstanding. He has all the pitches, fast, slow, and intermediate. There's only one pass needed to prove he's better than all the rest. The bomb he threw to Benjamin in Gainesville was it. He threw the ball 65 yards in the air for a strike. If you watch the NFL combine, the quarterbacks can't even throw the ball that far, much less with accuracy in a real game. I would think he's gone after this year since he'll be the first pick in the draft. Let's hope so, otherwise we can expect Winston to dominate UF for another year just like another all time great player, Herschel Walker. If you don't know Winston is a great player after watching him last year, you don't know much about football. Let's not be petty, give the guy his due, he has certainly earned it.
I don't even know where to begin. Is this the new RH?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze said:
"best college football player of all time" after one season? Under what rationale do you make this extremely naive statement?

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Douglas78 Under what rationale do I base the premise that Winston may be the best ever? No other quarterback in college football history has led his team to a National Championship in his freshman season. That's a pretty good starting point, of course he has to perform just as well or better this season, so I don't know if he is the best yet. He did have a lot of help, but there's no denying that he was the best player on the team. He did what every kid dreams about. He took his team down for the winning touchdown from 80 yards away with a little over a minute let in the game to win the title. So, yes, there is a data on which to base this hypothesis. There's not enough data to state the hypothesis is valid, too little a sample size, but there's been no data to refute it either. Let's see what happens this season.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n10572 said:
Douglas78 Under what rationale do I base the premise that Winston may be the best ever? No other quarterback in college football history has led his team to a National Championship in his freshman season. That's a pretty good starting point, of course he has to perform just as well or better this season, so I don't know if he is the best yet. He did have a lot of help, but there's no denying that he was the best player on the team. He did what every kid dreams about. He took his team down for the winning touchdown from 80 yards away with a little over a minute let in the game to win the title. So, yes, there is a data on which to base this hypothesis. There's not enough data to state the hypothesis is valid, too little a sample size, but there's been no data to refute it either. Let's see what happens this season.

Jamelle Holieway did it as a true freshman. If you meant BCS, you didn't say so. On a side note, you sound like you got Nole envy and I don't even know how that happens. One year does not make someone the best of all-time. Michael Vick was supposed to win multiple Heismans. People on here can likely list multiple players who had one or two good years and then flopped. Is Winston a great talent? Yes. Can he sustain it and stay out of trouble? Doubt it. Does he have the mental resolve to handle the pressure next year without an all-star cast? We'll find out....if he can stay out of trouble.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n10572 said:

As mentioned before the only True Freshman to win a National Title is Jamelle Holieway. Winston is the only player in the BCS era to win one as a Freshmen (redshirt). Did Winston have a great year? Yes. Does that make him an all time great of College Football already? No. There is no denying he was the best player on his team, maybe/maybe not. We have to wait and see what he can do without the supporting cast.
Plenty of players have flashed on the scene to fade away. You will notice his stats slipped a bit after teams had six games of game tape on him. Other than Miami (72.4) and Syracuse (90.5) he never broke 62% compete. 7 of 9 interceptions were also during the last 8 games of the season. Now the question is, now all teams have 14 games of game tape and an offseason to prepare. Does he come out and light it up or become an also ran.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n10594 said:
As mentioned before the only True Freshman to win a National Title is Jamelle Holieway. Winston is the only player in the BCS era to win one as a Freshmen (redshirt). Did Winston have a great year? Yes. Does that make him an all time great of College Football already? No. There is no denying he was the best player on his team, maybe/maybe not. We have to wait and see what he can do without the supporting cast. Plenty of players have flashed on the scene to fade away. You will notice his stats slipped a bit after teams had six games of game tape on him. Other than Miami (72.4) and Syracuse (90.5) he never broke 62% compete. 7 of 9 interceptions were also during the last 8 games of the season. Now the question is, now all teams have 14 games of game tape and an offseason to prepare. Does he come out and light it up or become an also ran.
You guys are wasting your breath arguing with Jameis's dad.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n10608 said:
Originally posted by TheDouglas78 View Post
As mentioned before the only True Freshman to win a National Title is Jamelle Holieway. Winston is the only player in the BCS era to win one as a Freshmen (redshirt). Did Winston have a great year? Yes. Does that make him an all time great of College Football already? No. There is no denying he was the best player on his team, maybe/maybe not. We have to wait and see what he can do without the supporting cast. Plenty of players have flashed on the scene to fade away. You will notice his stats slipped a bit after teams had six games of game tape on him. Other than Miami (72.4) and Syracuse (90.5) he never broke 62% compete. 7 of 9 interceptions were also during the last 8 games of the season. Now the question is, now all teams have 14 games of game tape and an offseason to prepare. Does he come out and light it up or become an also ran.

You guys are wasting your breath arguing with Jameis's dad.

aka :nutswinger:

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Come on Guys, why don't you bring up a real quarterback instead of a running back like Holloway. Switzer didn't know what to do with a real quarterback. He didn't need no stinkin' quarterback that could throw the ball. That's why he told Troy Aikman to transfer, I guess Aikman had the crazy idea that a quarterback should be able to throw the ball, what was he thinking? What amazes me ids that some of you are fighting the idea of how good Winston is. Didn't you see him play in Gainesville? I've never seen a quarterback do what he did in that game. FSU's first touchdown was an example of his refusal to fail. The Gators threw everything at him and his teammates committed penalties, but he never faltered, he willed his team on a drive from the shadows of his endzone. The game was over then, even if the score was only 10-0, he had broken the Gator's will because he refused to be broken. I could be wrong, but I think Winston is a once in a generation player and I haven't seen any reason to change my mind. Even if he does play for the team out West, it doesn't make me blind.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n10774 said:
Come on Guys, why don't you bring up a real quarterback instead of a running back like Holloway. Switzer didn't know what to do with a real quarterback. He didn't need no stinkin' quarterback that could throw the ball. That's why he told Troy Aikman to transfer, I guess Aikman had the crazy idea that a quarterback should be able to throw the ball, what was he thinking? What amazes me ids that some of you are fighting the idea of how good Winston is. Didn't you see him play in Gainesville? I've never seen a quarterback do what he did in that game. FSU's first touchdown was an example of his refusal to fail. The Gators threw everything at him and his teammates committed penalties, but he never faltered, he willed his team on a drive from the shadows of his endzone. The game was over then, even if the score was only 10-0, he had broken the Gator's will because he refused to be broken. I could be wrong, but I think Winston is a once in a generation player and I haven't seen any reason to change my mind. Even if he does play for the team out West, it doesn't make me blind.

Dude...LET GO OF JAMEIS's JOCK...:nutswinger:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n10774 said:

So first you bring up an inaccurate stat and then go with the "real quarterback" argument. I guess in that regard Tommie Frazier wasn't a real quarterback, and we should be given the National Title trophy from 1995 because they didn't have a "real" quarterback in your opinion?

It's not amazing that people are questioning whether or not a Freshman quarterback should be listed as the best quarterback to ever play NCAA football. It's amazing that you are so naive to think that his resume already deserves it. Then your following argument is how the "greatest of all time" quarterback played against the worst Gator team in over 30 years? So that makes him a once in a generational player?

Comparible stats
Manziel vs Duke 78.9% complete, 382 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints
Winston vs Duke 59.6% complete, 330 yards 3 TDs, 2 Ints

And Manziel isn't considered the alltime best quarterback.

How does Jameis balls feel against your chin?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How far ahead would Winston be if he went against top SEC defenses/offenses week after week ?

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Jameis Winston is a good QB that had an incredible offensive line, receiving corps, and played mediocre defenses. I'm sorry but when the best defense you face was us, there isn't much to go on. He is good, whether or not he is great is still TBD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator