Should either Roper or Durkin remain?

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
A serious question. We've not had much continuity over the last few years and this is especially true on offense. We've all watched DJ Durkin grow as a coordinator on this staff and he's learned from some of the best that we've had under Meyer and now with WM. Roper had success at Duke and learned under Cutcliffe's using an offense that looks different than what we have today.

Should the new coach retain Durkin or Roper and why/why not?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Durkin maybe, Roper probably not. We as a collective returning offensive team are more of a power running play action built lot. We should not succumb to our overwhelming feelings of needing to "throw the ball all over the yard". Yes we should throw the ball more than we have done recently but even Roper knows his Duke offense won't work in the SEC. The only offense that works consistently over the long haul is power running/play action football.
I'm not sure Durkin really is the "DC" he seems to always be looking to Muschamp like "what do I do now". Put him back in charge of ST and make he and Lawing co DC's.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
No. From what I have seen of Roper he is a yes man thats afraid to be his own man. Durkin seems ok but I think total change is in order.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Maybe keep Durkin as an assistant head coach and give him a unit to coach, say special teams. Do this for recruiting purposes continuity but I don't think you keep him as the DC. Roper goes. I think the new guy should bring in his own coordinators on both sides of the ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like both of those guys and hope they keep their job. This team is close to being very good. The conservative philosophy of the head coach really limited roper. Dj has been a great recruiter and knows muschamps system he's been under his wing for 4 years so I'd be glad to see those guys not have to pack their families up and move

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind Roper staying with no Muschamp based on his past play calling but something makes me think Durkin would not be that great without Muschamp's influence on that side of the ball.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durkin was a very good ST coach!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I heard Roper is tight with Freeze. It makes sense due to the Ole Siss connections. Don't know how tight or who would remain at Ole Siss if Roper leaves.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n117327 said:
A new broom sweeps clean.
It would be understandable if that is the path taken. This is, however, a pretty good staff with the exception of the Dwag at the top.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You can't keep Durkin and demote him to a position coach. That's tough and rarely happens. It'd be like keeping champ on as a DC, great in theory, disastrous in practice. If you want no excuses you let the new HC pick his guys

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durkin did really well as the ST coordinator. I highly doubt he would stay on in that position, but I wouldn't mind it if he did.

Darthgator

Aug 18, 2014
Floridagator;n117389 said:
TRob must stay. It's worth him keeping his position

Agreed. I wouldn't mind durkin staying but I think we're screwed for south florida recruiting if we lose TRob

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm okay with both staying. Not sure what Lewis and White have brought to the table.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Law98gator;n117370 said:
It would be understandable if that is the path taken. This is, however, a pretty good staff with the exception of the Dwag at the top.

Agree. I'd definitely like to see Robinson, Summers, Lawing, and possibly Lewis remain.

Does Dillman get retained at S&C?

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;117370 said:
I think we've gotten a lot more out of our OL this year than in years past and having continuity on the defense would be good. I've liked how our WRs are progressing under Leak, but they may do better learning under a seasoned coach. I would also understand if the new coach cleans house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator