So we've become a 'fixer upper"

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
"McElwain wants a much higher standard, which is why he made a concerted effort to bolster Florida's foundation. He was very vocal early about major facility upgrades at a school grossly behind most of the SEC in that department. And while athletic director Jeremy Foley stood by the shape of the facilities back in November, he's coming around to the fact that Florida needs some remodeling"

If you want to be at the top of the SEC then you've got to look like you belong at the top. Remember, McElwain has been at Alabama. He knows how they don't back down from spending the money on facilities.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we will do something like this until the pieces are really in place.

We may not have a true fullback to put in the backfield but we can line up and run the power right at them. Flip the tackle over and put the tight end on the backside to get the bigger lineman on the front side. Line up under center and run true power football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've been a fixer upper since Creyer broke the program and Foley didn't want to keep up with the Joneses.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it coincidence that the decision to upgrade facilities came only after McElwain was hired and in what appeared to be a hasty manner (the O'Dome upgrade summarily postponed as a result)? I have to wonder. McElwain commands an air of respect about him that Muschamp never did, and I think Foley listens.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It was not just the weight of Mac, but the added weight of 4-6 years of so-so UF football.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Ben Hill Griffin paid for it. Spurrier turned it into a showplace. Meyer did some upgrades, but didn't take care of the foundation. Muschamp punched the walls in. Now McElwain has to fix the place up.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Joe, that's a great way to put. This was a great read.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We'll be fine.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That article was written by Edward Aschoff. Isn't he the guy that started at The Gainesville Sun before being hired by ESPN? Seems like he's always been pretty good.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing that a little lipstick and mascara can't fix...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n203430 said:
Ben Hill Griffin paid for it. Spurrier turned it into a showplace. Meyer did some upgrades, but didn't take care of the foundation. Muschamp punched the walls in. Now McElwain has to fix the place up.

... by plastering the other teams.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n203164 said:
"McElwain wants a much higher standard, which is why he made a concerted effort to bolster Florida's foundation. He was very vocal early about major facility upgrades at a school grossly behind most of the SEC in that department. And while athletic director Jeremy Foley stood by the shape of the facilities back in November, he's coming around to the fact that Florida needs some remodeling"

If you want to be at the top of the SEC then you've got to look like you belong at the top. Remember, McElwain has been at Alabama. He knows how they don't back down from spending the money on facilities.

Agreed. The Saban-way is a tried and true method and I have no problem with mimicking that, at least in the short run. Once Coach rights the ship, he can install his McElwin-way.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Go Gata;n203933 said:
Agreed. The Saban-way is a tried and true method and I have no problem with mimicking that, at least in the short run. Once Coach rights the ship, he can install his McElwin-way.

It's not so much the Saban way. The recruiting wars have become so competitive that your program can not just stand on its name or its tradition only. You have to spend the money. Most all of the SEC schools have upgraded their facilities. I mentioned Alabama because McElwain has been at that school. But you could say it's not just the Saban way, but its the Tennessee way, the LSU way, the Georgia way, the Ole Miss way. If you are going to compete you can't put your head in the sand and say we don't need an indoor facility because of the weather in Florida. McElawain has been around. He knows you have to build these facilities to be competitive. Foley should have realized this sooner.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n203964 said:
It's not so much the Saban way. The recruiting wars have become so competitive that your program can not just stand on its name or its tradition only. You have to spend the money. Most all of the SEC schools have upgraded their facilities. I mentioned Alabama because McElwain has been at that school. But you could say it's not just the Saban way, but its the Tennessee way, the LSU way, the Georgia way, the Ole Miss way. If you are going to compete you can't put your head in the sand and say we don't need an indoor facility because of the weather in Florida. McElawain has been around. He knows you have to build these facilities to be competitive. Foley should have realized this sooner.

That's not really the Saban way. The Saban way refers more to the support staff and all the QC coaches. Not sure what other SEC schools are doing, but I doubt they have the level of Bama

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The facilities upgrade/arms race is prevalent in the SEC, but it is happening across the country. The support staff is what has been separating bama from others. Macdaddy is hammering away at both problems at this fixer upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.