Soliciting ideas: Are there any sports writers among us?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you for the endorsement, 812, but I tend to agree with Sasquatch's assessment. No one here has media credentials, so there wouldn't be any fresh information to share beyond what the mainstream media is already better equipped at. And I'm not sure the members here would be all that interested in that input anyway. I like the podcasts for what they bring in terms of spontaneity, opinion and personality in that they reveal more of the poster. I'd support more of them to possibly include some offseason topics. For example, what was it like following Gator football during the Pell years? What are your memories of Emmitt Smith? What was it like to follow Lon Kruger's team to the Final Four in 1994? Why is it that Gator fans feel superior to other fans?

Just a suggestion.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let me add one other podcast topic, which for now would be a good one. Why should the Big Three re-sign with the Miami Heat? Even some baseball topics. I love the podcast concept.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can write about which MP3s I have on my Droid and where I like to eat with my wife.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll write about events in the fantasy cornhole league. And boobies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n11109 said:
The hard thing about writing any kind of article on Gator football for this site is the lack of access to insider information and the actual players and coaches for quotes. I could easily write some opinion stuff up, but most of it would be conjecture without any real info backing it up.
This is true - I was obviously just talking about opinion pieces. There are often a number of different ways to look at things, and good writers can portray a different perspective

As far as journalists with "inside info" on the Gators, are there really any of those left? Dooley supposedly has every inside avenue available, and which of you rushes out to read his stuff? How about Robbie Andreu? It's totally useless. Any "inside info" anymore when it comes to the Gators is a joke - everything is hush-hush. The only real perspective they can offer is direct quotes from the players.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It really wouldn't be hard to look at news from people with "insider connection" such as Scott Carter and Chris Harry from Gatorzone, and right based off of your opinion. Or even synthesize several opinions to describe your own.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, I think you are going down the wrong path trying to make this site just like every other gator site. We need to take advantage of the ways in which we are different. The number one thing I'd go to is our independence... Why try to find amateur hacks to try and build content when we could simply become an aggregator and a one stop shop for all gator content? Look at all of the examples where people have made that successful. Half of those social media sites that you linked up top are simply places where you can go to get redirected to someone else's content. Who here wouldn't want to visit a landing page that had links to everything written about the gators from espn to alligator army? Imagine if it was already sorted by content, premium content was filtered out and maybe even forum members could rate the articles?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n11175 said:
Ox, I think you are going down the wrong path trying to make this site just like every other gator site. We need to take advantage of the ways in which we are different. The number one thing I'd go to is our independence... Why try to find amateur hacks to try and build content when we could simply become an aggregator and a one stop shop for all gator content? Look at all of the examples where people have made that successful. Half of those social media sites that you linked up top are simply places where you can go to get redirected to someone else's content. Who here wouldn't want to visit a landing page that had links to everything written about the gators from espn to alligator army? Imagine if it was already sorted by content, premium content was filtered out and maybe even forum members could rate the articles?
Interesting ideas. Although I think a great deal of the "amateur hacks" out there are better than the pros.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to the Gator Fan Resource Center

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I will admit Bernardo's idea is intriguing.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n11182 said:
Interesting ideas. Although I think a great deal of the "amateur hacks" out there are better than the pros.
I'm sure there are a lot of people that would rather read what cover 2 has to say than your typical sports writer, but my guess is that if you wanted him to write a couple of articles a week you'd have to pay him.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave said:
My tourettes would probably come through in the article and it would never be published due to language. Besides, I can't even color inside the lines.

Cover2 has to be your man.
Cover is an excellent writer. His posts are legendary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812 said:
What about Class of '78?
Obvious choice along with C2 IMO.

What ever happened to DWC?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[quote name=''78' timestamp='1404845514']Let me add one other podcast topic, which for now would be a good one. Why should the Big Three re-sign with the Miami Heat? Even some baseball topics. I love the podcast concept. [/quote]Or why should Miami be the subject of a massive urban renewal project that results in the entire thing being a parking lot for people going to the Keys?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
Captain Sasquatch;n11109 said:
The hard thing about writing any kind of article on Gator football for this site is the lack of access to insider information and the actual players and coaches for quotes. I could easily write some opinion stuff up, but most of it would be conjecture without any real info backing it up.
This is true - I was obviously just talking about opinion pieces. There are often a number of different ways to look at things, and good writers can portray a different perspective

As far as journalists with "inside info" on the Gators, are there really any of those left? Dooley supposedly has every inside avenue available, and which of you rushes out to read his stuff? How about Robbie Andreu? It's totally useless. Any "inside info" anymore when it comes to the Gators is a joke - everything is hush-hush. The only real perspective they can offer is direct quotes from the players.
I can't think of the last time I read a quote from either of those two. Do they even attend Gator events or have any access? Zach seems to. Gator Country seems to have more than the ancient drunken ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.