Some of our coaches still understand rivalries

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Hopefully Golden is taking notes
View attachment 65798

This is wrong on so many levels. Shame on our womens coach and the womens team for doing this! It’s obvious the game was well in hand. To run the score up like this is totally classless and absolutely disgraceful! Our AD owes Georgia an apology. There’s a lot of young ladies, true student-athletes, in the Georgia locker room hurting right now and they shouldn’t have to suffer such indignation!

-Billy Napier

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
Well you and I must have seen plenty of different things. Pell may have gotten money for all the enhancements you mentioned, but I got there when most of the upperclassmen were from the Pell era. And I saw plenty of large Black guys driving the large 4 door Mercedes Benz when they exited from below the stadium where they lived. Not miffed at the sight, just sayin.
Nothing but the truth! Norm Sloan players, back in the 80’s, also benefited from preferential treatment”. Yon Hall was below section 8 compared to today’s dorms but they definitely didn’t lack from nice cars.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
From what I remember in the 80's was that the NCAA was after him at Climpson and he left for UF before they could do anything. I really don't think he did anything different than the other schools. One of my HS football coaches coached for him at UF heard of the things that went on that got us in trouble but Pell did take the main hit for all of it. I still to this day loved him as a coach. Met him a couple of times at camp. He was one tough man and exepected that out of his coaches and players.
The fallout from the NCAA investigation still nearly broke him. He ran a hose from his exhaust pipe into his car one day and started it up. Luckily, he found himself on the ground nearby, not remembering having saved himself. He turned his life around after that because he proved to himself that he wanted to live.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Don't tell me. Billy called to congratulate Kirby over ETN.
That you can make a post like this which resonates and not receive a WTF, stoned or drunk because it is actually in-character for Simple Bill is amazing. "Kirbs, you beat us for another one. You guys do a great job up there. Enjoy your off season. Lotta respect. Wear leather loafers to the Spring meeting, I'll bring my shoe shine kit."

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That you can make a post like this which resonates and not receive a WTF, stoned or drunk because it is actually in-character for Simple Bill is amazing. "Kirbs, you beat us for another one. You guys do a great job up there. Enjoy your off season. Lotta respect. Wear leather loafers to the Spring meeting, I'll bring my shoe shine kit."

Billy always on his knees.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

One Florida coach who understood rivalries. You can sense his blood pressure going up and the tension building as he talks about Miami.

And then that stare. "You can count on it."

We lost 21-20 the following year.

Then beat them in 1982 - 17-14.

Then beat them in 1983 - 28-3.

(UM went on to win the NC that year)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Pell seemed like a stone cold killer , wish I was a gator in those days
I was a Clemson fan in HS before we moved to Jax.

Pell was their coach. He set Clemson on the path to their NC in 1981. Clemson and the Leghumpers were bitter rivals. They played every year from 1962-1987.

In nine meetings from 1979-87, Georgia won four games, Clemson won four games and they tied once. In those nine years, Georgia scored 153 points, Clemson 152. Only one of the games was decided by more than a touchdown. Only once did one team score more than 30 points (Clemson won 31-28 in 1986). Year after year, the Tigers and the Dawgs infused one early-season Saturday with tension usually found in November.

My hatred for those butt-licking, leg-humping MoFos runs deep.

I met Pell at the Reitz Union once. He stopped and chatted with me for a couple of minutes about his days at Clemson and his "affection" for the Buttsniffers.

He was a very personable and genuine guy.

UF knew how he recruited at Clemson. Thats why they hired him. The rest of the SEC knew too, which is why they got the NCAA to go after him. Bryant, Dooley, Dye. Majors etal didn't want UF doing what they had been doing for decades.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pell was every bit as focused and intense as Urban Meyer, but without the drama. On the contrary, when Florida finally made the decision to dismiss Pell after week two of the '84 season, Criser cut him a gentleman's deal. If Pell would accept blame for all the NCAA violations, even those he did not commit, he could remain as coach the rest of the year. Criser reneged and later claimed he had no recollection of the offer. Pell quietly walked away a broken man.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Pell was every bit as focused and intense as Urban Meyer, but without the drama. On the contrary, when Florida finally made the decision to dismiss Pell after week two of the '84 season, Criser cut him a gentleman's deal. If Pell would accept blame for all the NCAA violations, even those he did not commit, he could remain as coach the rest of the year. Criser reneged and later claimed he had no recollection of the offer. Pell quietly walked away a broken man.
They did him wrong. Period.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They did him wrong. Period.
I felt that way too about how he was treated.

His Wife, Ward Pell came to speak to our Gator club in the mid 90's and it was sometime after the attempt on his life. She talked about what the Gator Nation meant to them, great stories, and never a bad word or incident was said about what had happened to Coach. It was a bad time for UF and it dang near devastated their family very hard. But she was so grateful and loved being part of UF. I don't think I ever saw him publicly in person or through media after all of that.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This thread is HOF material. Brilliant stuff .

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting this video from the 1983 Season before it started. Beat Miami and tied @USC to start the season.

Pell thought it was an "in state" school that turned us into the NCAA. I always thought it was Dye, Dooley and Majors.

It was probably Schnellenberger. Dang. I had (until this video) admired what he did at Miami. If he did it ... Fuch him.

Lots of interesting tidbits and perspective from that time.

You should post this in its own thread. All the old timers would enjoy it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting this video from the 1983 Season before it started. Beat Miami and tied @USC to start the season.

Pell thought it was an "in state" school that turned us into the NCAA. I always thought it was Dye, Dooley and Majors.

It was probably Schnellenberger. Dang. I had (until this video) admired what he did at Miami. If he did it ... Fuch him.

Lots of interesting tidbits and perspective from that time.

You should post this in its own thread. All the old timers would enjoy it.

Pell, on being ratted on, said it wasn't "necessarily the conference, but the area."

That points to Miami and/or FSU.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pell, on being ratted on, said it wasn't "necessarily the conference, but the area."

That points to Miami and/or FSU.
The conference definitely jumped on board. Trailerbammer's and Barn have never had titles stripped subsequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.