SOS being SOS

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n17084 said:
Spurrier just tells it like he sees it. He's not always right, but he gets people talking, and that's enough for me. He's now pushing seventy and is not giving any hint of retiring. I think that is amusing because when he was at Florida, he said that he would never want to coach as long as Bowden, he just couldn't see himself coaching into his late sixties. Well he's now almost 70. I guess he's figured out that it's not a bad thing to continue what you enjoy doing, even if you are older. Urban Meyer won two national titles at Florida, but he's not close to being revered by Florida fans. Remember the old refrain; " Wait until next year!" For those of you to young to remember, it was a common thing to say after the Georgia Bulldogs whipped UF time after time. Spurrier ended that, he dominated the Bulldogs. Now we have a coach that is making the refrain popular again. Is it enough to get Muschamp fired if he loses to Georgia for the fourth year in a row? I doubt it, because Foley's ego may not allow him to admit he didn't pull off a grand coup when he hired Muschamp. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else ,firing Muschamp would be proof that he failed in the most important aspect of his job, choosing the right football coach. He did the same thing when he hired Zook, and the President hired Meyer. This is the same guy that told Spurrier to send in a resume after Zook was fired. I won't go further, but Foley should have never been hired in the first place as UF's A.D.

Man you started off so good then you went all batchitz on us!

Attacking Foley will get you no respect from the Gator Nation.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze said:
Spurrier just tells it like he sees it. He's not always right, but he gets people talking, and that's enough for me. He's now pushing seventy and is not giving any hint of retiring. I think that is amusing because when he was at Florida, he said that he would never want to coach as long as Bowden, he just couldn't see himself coaching into his late sixties. Well he's now almost 70. I guess he's figured out that it's not a bad thing to continue what you enjoy doing, even if you are older. Urban Meyer won two national titles at Florida, but he's not close to being revered by Florida fans. Remember the old refrain; " Wait until next year!" For those of you to young to remember, it was a common thing to say after the Georgia Bulldogs whipped UF time after time. Spurrier ended that, he dominated the Bulldogs. Now we have a coach that is making the refrain popular again. Is it enough to get Muschamp fired if he loses to Georgia for the fourth year in a row? I doubt it, because Foley's ego may not allow him to admit he didn't pull off a grand coup when he hired Muschamp. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else ,firing Muschamp would be proof that he failed in the most important aspect of his job, choosing the right football coach. He did the same thing when he hired Zook, and the President hired Meyer. This is the same guy that told Spurrier to send in a resume after Zook was fired. I won't go further, but Foley should have never been hired in the first place as UF's A.D.
Wow, here's an interesting and new perspective.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
ntcrze;n17084 said:

Foley isn't perfect... Just because all do not find him beyond reproach, no need to discount his view... Many were poed when he wanted SOS to send in a resume... how demeaning the a LEGEND!

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
ntcrze;n17084 said:

sorry, how demeaning to a LEGEND...

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To the best of my memory, Foley never said he told SOS to submit a Resume. That was a quip made by someone else. I remember Foley saying that everyone would have to play by the same rules. I have no problem with that seeing as SOS had just quit on UF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
sos looks horrible in half of the Nole colors.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n17475 said:
To the best of my memory, Foley never said he told SOS to submit a Resume. That was a quip made by someone else. I remember Foley saying that everyone would have to play by the same rules. I have no problem with that seeing as SOS had just quit on UF.

Let's not get hung up on semantics. Spurrier was asked to interview for the opening in 2004. That was tantamount to Darwin being asked to interview for an opening in the science department.

https://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2..._spurrier-s-decision-spurrier-s-answer-machen

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
I thought this was pretty priceless too. This is a screen shot of when ESPN asked Saban how he sells playing time to his recruits

BtK1fmbCEAEgp5M.jpg

BTW, just how many telephone books do you think Saban is sitting on in that picture?
Love it!
And 3., with the chair seat already extended about 2 inches further than usual.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
ntcrze;n17084 said:

Foley can be an emotionally charged topic after last year especially. I seem to remember lots of comments on GSMB last year, both ways. I know a few people out of the few I see, who share the same opinions as ntcra, fwiw. Besides, the freedom to criticize policy makers is essential and I respect that people speak up. It may be batchitz or not, but it is fundamentally American.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I agree Strong was a major upgrade over Hoke. I'd also go so far as to say Meyer ranks fourth alltime among UF head coaches after Spurrier, Pell and Graves. The reason I rank him above Dickey is I like his triple option a little bit better.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n17560]Yes, I agree Strong was a major upgrade over Hoke. I'd also go so far as to say Meyer ranks fourth alltime among UF head coaches after Spurrier, Pell and Graves. The reason I rank him above Dickey is I like his triple option a little bit better. [/QUOTE]

xk.gif

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
I thought this was pretty priceless too. This is a screen shot of when ESPN asked Saban how he sells playing time to his recruits

BtK1fmbCEAEgp5M.jpg

BTW, just how many telephone books do you think Saban is sitting on in that picture?
Spurrier is standing. What you don't see in the snapshot is Saban's mom in the lower "King on Horseback" position.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
[QUOTE='78;n17560]Yes, I agree Strong was a major upgrade over Hoke. I'd also go so far as to say Meyer ranks fourth alltime among UF head coaches after Spurrier, Pell and Graves. The reason I rank him above Dickey is I like his triple option a little bit better.

xk.gif
[/quote]This made me lol

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
[QUOTE='78;n17560]Yes, I agree Strong was a major upgrade over Hoke. I'd also go so far as to say Meyer ranks fourth alltime among UF head coaches after Spurrier, Pell and Graves. The reason I rank him above Dickey is I like his triple option a little bit better.

xk.gif
[/quote]Stole my gif.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:

xk.gif
[/quote]There is something very mesmerizing about this gif.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer > 2 Championships

SOS > 1 Championship

Need more parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.