SOS is "a little bored"

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...tball/josh-kendall-blog/article107541297.html

A few key quotes from the HBC:

"I don't know who I'm consulting"

“Their terminology and mine are completely different. We don’t even know what the other one is talking about half the time.”

“Oh, I’m a little bored,” he said.

There are times when he wonders if anyone wants a new quarterbacks coach.

---------------------------------
Stop me if you’ve heard this one. Steve Spurrier walks into a bar.

Of course, you haven’t heard this one. It’s absurd, the idea that a Hall of Fame college football player, a soon-to-be Hall of Fame college football coach, the winningest football coach in history at two SEC schools would stroll into a bar by himself on a Sunday afternoon.

But there was Steve Spurrier was Sunday, looking for a place to watch the South Carolina-Georgia game. The former Gamecocks head coach had driven from Gainesville, Fla., to Crescent Beach to check on his beach home after Hurricane Matthew. He was pleased to see almost no significant damage. In fact, he still had power. He just didn’t have cable.

“I found me a little sports bar down the road. There was a crowd at a little place called Wings on A1A,” he told The State. “The manager of the place sort of recognized me even though I had my hat and sunglasses on. My hat and sunglasses aren’t working as well as they used to. I found me some buddies there and watched the Gamecocks-Georgia game.”

Like, literally just plopped down with some folks and started watching football.

“It was a lady and her husband, about the same age I was, that live down the road from me. They were in there, and then a couple of FSU sisters came in with their husbands so they wanted to talk a while,” Spurrier said. “The FSU people and I are buddies now. I told them since Jimbo Fisher is there I don’t have any ill will. Really, I’m OK with Bobby (Bowden). His defensive team bragged about hurting people and I thought that’s no part of college football. But that’s a long time ago.”

So Spurrier sat there with his new friends and watched his old team lose 28-14 to the Bulldogs. The Gamecocks dropped to 2-4 overall and 1-4 in the SEC with the loss, and Spurrier knows it’s a mess that he helped create.

“Yeah, I hope the Gamecocks get it going,” he said. “They have excellent coaches there. They are doing a good job. Just a little light on big play talent, but I think they will be fine.”

Wednesday will be one year from the day Spurrier told South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner that he was finished immediately. After winning 86 games and the school’s only SEC Eastern Division championship, Spurrier was 2-4 himself when he called it quits.

“Basically, I had failed to put together a competitive team and I knew my time was finished there,” he said. “I’m still convinced it was the right thing to do. I had failed to put a decent team together, and it was either go out then or announce and go out at the end of the season. Or the other would have been to be like most coaches and say, ‘I ain’t quitting,’ and then they have to fire you, but I wasn’t going to do that. I always said when it went bad, I’d be gone and they wouldn’t have to buy me out.”

A year after his resignation, Spurrier is now in his third month of being a consultant and ambassador at his alma mater, Florida, where he won the Heisman Trophy and coached the Gators to a national title. The job is more ambassadoring than consulting.

“I don’t know who I’m consulting,” he said.

Occasionally, he will talk offense with Florida head coach Jim McElwain.

“I go watch practice every now and then and watch a little tape and make some suggestions but that’s all,” said Spurrier, who is in the process of selling his home in Elgin. “Their terminology and mine are completely different. We don’t even know what the other one is talking about half the time.”

Spurrier makes the rounds for the Gators athletic department. On Tuesday, he was playing golf with members of the Gainesville Touchdown Club before speaking at an evening event.

So basically, Steve Spurrier has reached the stage of his career where his job is simply to be Steve Spurrier, Legend At Large. It’s good work if you can get it, but sometimes Spurrier wonders if it’s the job for him.

“Oh, I’m a little bored,” he said.

There are times when he wonders if anyone wants a new quarterbacks coach. The idea of all the hours that come with being a modern college coach don’t appeal to Spurrier, but drawing up plays and having somebody to beat on a Saturday still does.

“Every now and then when you are watching games and watch everybody struggling on offense, it makes you think, ‘What the heck am I doing up here watching on TV?’ ” he said. “Sometimes people will ask me, ‘What do you miss?’ Obviously, I miss the really good teams with players with wonderful attitudes like Marcus Lattimore and Connor Shaw and even D.J. Swearinger and those defensive guys who come to the ballpark ready to play. I miss all of those guys. And having a good team and calling plays.”

Of course, a year later, he still wishes things had ended differently. He gave the school the best four-year stretch in its football team’s history and gave back to the athletic department nearly $1.5 million throughout his career, but he wishes he could have given a little more in the end.

“It was a good run,” Spurrier said. “Hopefully, we are on good terms with those people. I hope so. After last year, I have to take responsibility. I thought I could fix the defense; I thought we had a decent team; I was wrong. I was terribly wrong, and then it was over.”

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...dall-blog/article107541297.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
“Every now and then when you are watching games and watch everybody struggling on offense, it makes you think, ‘What the heck am I doing up here watching on TV?’

Hmm......everybody? Or UF?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
“I go watch practice every now and then and watch a little tape and make some suggestions but that’s all,” said Spurrier, who is in the process of selling his home in Elgin. "Their terminology and mine are completely different. We don’t even know what the other one is talking about half the time.”
This doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes3:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes3:
Thinking the same thing, TAG. Sometimes when I watch/listen to one of Mac's pressers or interviews, I think I'm riding down a road in California, sometime in the late '60's, in a VW van with David Crosby. It's too far out, man.

images

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Hmm......everybody? Or UF?

Every other quote references USCe (not UF), so I would expect that comment was primarily aimed at the Gamecocks. Sure, we're not great but we're still better than USCe. Also, all the quotes were referencing having just watched UGA-USCe, so again, I'm not taking the "everybody struggling on offense," as aimed at UF but more at USCe.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
There are times when he wonders if anyone wants a new quarterbacks coach.

This one is dangerous. Yeah, he could undoubtedly help a lot in coaching up our growing stable of QBs. Assuming Mac's ego as "the QB whisperer" would take the hit of giving ownership of the QBs over to Spurrier. I think the idea of SOS as a QB coach (I'm sure there is a way to work this in the NCAA rules, ask Alabama) is a great option - the guy has the knowledge and can absolutely teach the kids in that position, and it would be one more underlying draw to pull in top QB talent to know they'd be under his tutelage.

I think the two points worth worrying about with this proposition is a) are you creating a position for life for SOS? I mean, regardless of who is the HBC, will anyone really be able to tell Steve, "Um, you're 94 now, we need to replace you, you keep calling kids by the wrong name and we're the Gators, not the Gamecocks". And more importantly, b) can you allow him input into the offensive scheme and still maintain a balanced relationship with him? The point here being, if you don't let him input into the offense (beyond coaching QBs) then he may get frustrated with play calls or execution by the rest of the offense that hinders the performance of his QBs. Or worse, SOS is suggesting offensive plays - and either you listen to him, and they work, proving you should be fired and SOS take over; or you listen to him and they don't work and you should both be fired; or you let him believe he is being listened to but you effectively ignore his input and piss off a Gator legend. There isn't a win in that situation.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Jesus....talk about setting the bar low :lol:

Oh, absolutely. The bar is so low we're tripping over it. Meanwhile WM is stepping on it and asking who left this stick laying around the midline.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
"There are times when he wonders if anyone wants a new quarterbacks coach."

Why not. Give him a 3 year deal and see what happens.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Oh, absolutely. The bar is so low we're tripping over it. Meanwhile WM is stepping on it and asking who left this stick laying around the midline.
:exactly:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why would we be interested in Spurrier when we already have one of most brilliant play callers in college football?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Assuming Mac's ego as "the QB whisperer"
This is a joke to me. If anything Mac ruins QB's. Treon got worse every week he was with Mac. Mac was apparently incapable of coaching up any other QB on the roster. Del Rio has been learning from Mac a year and a half and is as average as the day is long. Mac can't even make Appleby (an Elite 11 QB) capable of moving the offense. QB killer would be more appropriate.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't sound like there is much communication between Mac and SOS. They speak such different terminology ( presumably referencing football terminology there) they don't even know what the other is speaking about half the time? Oh my. That is disappointing. Doesn't sound like they are enough on the same page for Mac to want Spurrier involved in any meaningful capacity.

I won't be surprised to see Spurrier getting involved maybe as a consultant or some kind of hands on trainer in high school football., something that still allows him flexibility and that would allow him to share ideas either with coaches or work with QB and receivers in camps or one on one..

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This is a joke to me. If anything Mac ruins QB's. Treon got worse every week he was with Mac. Mac was apparently incapable of coaching up any other QB on the roster. Del Rio has been learning from Mac a year and a half and is as average as the day is long. Mac can't even make Appleby (an Elite 11 QB) capable of moving the offense. QB killer would be more appropriate.

I can't say I've seen anything from Mac to give me grounds to argue with you. I would have to point out, however, that Treon didn't get worse - he was simply never any good, before Mac or after. Del Rio and Appleby may have low ceilings, or maybe they aren't being coached as required, but they both suffer from all the other woes that come with an struggling OL. I don't care if you have a HOF NFL QB back there, anyone is going to struggle with our OL in front of them. But back to your point - anyone is going to struggle with the play calling we've seen thus far as well.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking the same thing, TAG. Sometimes when I watch/listen to one of Mac's pressers or interviews, I think I'm riding down a road in California, sometime in the late '60's, in a VW van with David Crosby. It's too far out, man.

images
And yet......

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

You may be right, and that does not make me happy. Treon did get worse. Appleby got worse in the second half of the TN game. I don't know whether that was the fault of poor coach play calling or the fact that his brain malfunctioned and suddenly he couldn't make the right read or hit the open man. As far as Del Rio is concerned, he still has only had 3 college starts. Hopefully, he turns out okay and we're not waiting another 5 years for the mediocrity to end.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You sure we are not doing what is it called???? La Limbo?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

images

Once upon a time, I was married, yeah I know unimaginable, right? Anyway, I was stationed in San Diego, Ca for 3 years as an instructor and my teenage step daughter discovered weed at school and apparently couldn't just smoke a bit on friday night hanging out with friends, she had to start skipping school and smoking it on the streets with her "friends" when she was supposed to be in school. Long story short, we wound up having to meet with a local judge for a while to talk about her future. That day the judge told me something I've never forgotten. She said "listen to her voice when she speaks". "You hear that little bit of waver in her voice?" "You hear what I'm talking about?" "That's the voice of someone who's on weed". "I can tell every time" she said. Well, Mac's got that voice. Listen to him in a press conference sometime closely. You'll hear it. I'm thinking he discovered weed when he was coaching in Co. and now he likes it so much he can't leave it alone. It's just a theory I have based on what I've seen so far. Might be why he has trouble motivating the kids. Maybe he ain't much motivated himself? I dunno...:dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator