SOS is "a little bored"

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Steve needs to find a new hobby, he's over the hill.

He would never be happy as an Assistant Coach.

Maybe Fantasy Football?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
I think we are agreeing.

'78 said:
I think my mind must be regressing. You're totally right. :lol:

For Law, that's a 10 = toetally right.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It has been a long week, especially for anyone within two hours of the coast.

You know me well enough though. Id prefer a gunslinging high scoring offense, no doubt, but id take anything though. We were never going to get a gunslinging offense out of Butters amd Nusschamp.

I'd prefer the more aggressive play selection we tend to see in the first half versus the second. When executed right, it opens up running lanes that make handing off nearly as much fun as pitching the post.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Steve needs to find a new hobby, he's over the hill.

He would never be happy as an Assistant Coach.

Maybe Fantasy Football?
There is no future in modern football for an OC or QB coach who isnt interested in recruiting and game prep.

Last edited:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure that Spurrier is a great QB coach.

60996732.jpg

I think he's great at designing offenses if he has the talent to put it together. I've been reading Mindset, The New Psychology of Success (and highly recommend it). It's about the contrast and results of having a Fixed mindset (you are what you are) or Growth mindset (you can develop) as it relates to every aspect of life - talent, intellect, knowledge, wisdom, skills, etc. Spurrier has always struck me as a guy who was naturally very gifted and clever. Someone who could do better than he could teach. No doubt he has improved as a teacher and learner throughout his life, but I don't see it as his preference or strength. I see him as someone who likes to succeed easily (as opposed to struggle to build) and someone who can transfer his confidence (based on his own abilities) to others so that they too can succeed.

I don't know if Mac is a great teacher or a QB Whisperer as some here have labeled him, but if I were choosing a role for SOS, it would be play designer and play caller, not QB coach.

:scared:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Thinking the same thing, TAG. Sometimes when I watch/listen to one of Mac's pressers or interviews, I think I'm riding down a road in California, sometime in the late '60's, in a VW van with David Crosby. It's too far out, man.

images

I have always hated the half time coach interviews where they basically tell you squat and repeat common folksy "60 minutes of football" memes. I have to say McElwain may be the worst I have ever seen. He gives you the impression he is absolutely clueless. I know it is an act, but still it makes my skin crawl.

I always enjoyed Billy Donovan interviews. He would actually say something substantive and interesting. Spurrier wouldn't say much but at least you couldn't look forward to something entertaining.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
“I go watch practice every now and then and watch a little tape and make some suggestions but that’s all,” said Spurrier, who is in the process of selling his home in Elgin. “Their terminology and mine are completely different. We don’t even know what the other one is talking about half the time.

Join the crowd pal.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure that Spurrier is a great QB coach.

60996732.jpg

I think he's great at designing offenses if he has the talent to put it together. I've been reading Mindset, The New Psychology of Success (and highly recommend it). It's about the contrast and results of having a Fixed mindset (you are what you are) or Growth mindset (you can develop) as it relates to every aspect of life - talent, intellect, knowledge, wisdom, skills, etc. Spurrier has always struck me as a guy who was naturally very gifted and clever. Someone who could do better than he could teach. No doubt he has improved as a teacher and learner throughout his life, but I don't see it as his preference or strength. I see him as someone who likes to succeed easily (as opposed to struggle to build) and someone who can transfer his confidence (based on his own abilities) to others so that they too can succeed.

I don't know if Mac is a great teacher or a QB Whisperer as some here have labeled him, but if I were choosing a role for SOS, it would be play designer and play caller, not QB coach.

:scared:

Astute post, Euro.

Michael Jordan's father once said of him, he doesn't have a gambling problem, he has a competition problem.

Spurrier sought coaching as more of an outlet for his maniacal need to beat people than to develop players. He never ran out of funny one-liners or quips to mask a deep-seated obsession for beating Georgia, Tennessee or FSU but he often ran out of patience trying to develop young quarterbacks. If they were weren't thick skinned enough, such as Terry Dean, it could become a real problem.

Spurrier's mind was always way ahead of his ability to communicate, hence the frustration he had with many of the young quarterbacks he worked so hard to recruit and why Daddy Manning refused to have Peyton come here.

I honestly thought he lost his mind during the '97 season over the alternating quarterback schtick. Other than the FSU game, it was a destructive way to manage the situation. These aren't 27-year-old veterans you're working with, they're young kids who need a certain amount of patience and nurturing. Spurrier felt every one of his plays was perfectly designed and that they simply called for execution.

When he didn't get it, he'd throw the visor and humiliate you publicly. He was seldom capable of nurturing development. He demanded it now.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He mentions that USCe is "Just a little light on big play talent, but I think they will be fine."

He neglected to mention that they are a lot light in the head coaching department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.