Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like your posts are from the FSU board, too.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alright I held back until I could actually see the replay with my own eyes and I have only one question to ask....

WTF were some of you in the box yesterday so excited about?

That looked like :poop:

Maybe some of the players get better than last year but that offense and play calling smells like the same old turd.

I don't think talent is the problem here....maybe at a few positions but overall the players won't be this staffs undoing.....hopefully no one jumps on Urban before mid October.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's a Spring Game..... The line looked ok, but honestly we don't know what we really have there with the rules in place. We don't know if we were seeing good on good, bad on bad, or just a handcuffed DL playing vanilla. Both quarterbacks looked decent, there would have been a couple more sacks if Napier didn't allow the play to continue (he was inconsistent in the calling of sacks, like last year). Lagway had some NFL throws and some that against a better backfield would have picked/deflected... but played well for a Freshman with a month of practice. Mertz started slow, was behind to begin with but in the second quarter he got crisper. The pass at the end of the second quarter to Wilson was his best ball of the day, and even if the coverage was good (which it was garbage) would have been a long completion. The defensive backfield was the only part that I came away with thinking needed some real work. Bad positioning (pre/post snap).

The play calling is what it is. It really had a feel like the 2010 Spring game in that regard. I hope that isn't the case. But the way they ground to a halt in the second half, is worrisome, but we are only a month into getting to the product we will see in the fall.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, handcuffed DL is the norm for a spring game. Last year we let the defense blitz a lot and it really hurt the offense. I guess it depends on whose confidence you are trying to build.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, handcuffed DL is the norm for a spring game. Last year we let the defense blitz a lot and it really hurt the offense. I guess it depends on whose confidence you are trying to build.
The O&B is a sells job more than anything to get people to purchase tickets and merch.... The commercials for Gator Victorious, Season tickets for multiple sports, etc... were more than any Gator sporting event I've been to all year. It wants people to get excited for the coming season, so the DL being handcuffed is needed to get people excited about the offense.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
48 looks like a good run stopping end. Something we haven’t really had since Jon Bullard. Imagine how much bigger some of these guys would be if they actually had a competent strength coach stick around .

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Really, you plan to watch it again?//???/////???

Why?
Some people are just naturally drawn to trainwrecks....But seriously who can get enough of watching Mertz run for his life from the moment he takes the snap just to complete a 2 yard pass on 3rd & 9 or watch special teams trot 10 guys unto the field for the 12th time in the last 3 years....

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
So you might want to speed up the replay to see it in slo mo
Using slomo, you can see how baffled the defense is when we motion the WR from one side of the field to the other. You can see the indecision and terror in their eyes.

Or it could just be them blinking. Once.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My final spring take is this...

We undoubtedly have a better top to bottom roster than last year and probably the year before that although WR looks a little thin(pardon the pun).

We also undoubtedly have a coach who can take a team consisting of personnel capable of winning 8 or perhaps 9 games and fail to get above 5 wins with them...

My favorite term for Dan Mullen was "Ham and Egger"....meaning he was the proverbial 8-4 kind of coach....average with an occasional lucky 9 or 10 win season...

Karl is simply nothing more than "Potted Meat"....just not very good most of the time and something usually found on the "dented can discount display" ....yet we paid a premium price for it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My final spring take is this...

We undoubtedly have a better top to bottom roster than last year and probably the year before that although WR looks a little thin(pardon the pun).

We also undoubtedly have a coach who can take a team consisting of personnel capable of winning 8 or perhaps 9 games and fail to get above 5 wins with them...

My favorite term for Dan Mullen was "Ham and Egger"....meaning he was the proverbial 8-4 kind of coach....average with an occasional lucky 9 or 10 win season...

Karl is simply nothing more than "Potted Meat"....just not very good most of the time and something usually found on the "dented can discount display" ....yet we paid a premium price for it.
He went 40-12 at ULL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator