Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well in a sense he is wrong. I never asked where the game was being played only where I could watch it on TV. So...
You wont be able to watch Vandy, USCJr or UKs spring game either. Welcome to the bottom of the P5.

Im told we should assume Stricklin likes it here, with Cowbell, and this is exactly what the Athletic Dept wants.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You wont be able to watch Vandy, USCJr or UKs spring game either. Welcome to the bottom of the P5.

Im told we should assume Stricklin likes it here, with Cowbell, and this is exactly what the Athletic Dept wants.
It sucks for sure. Since I am no longer physically able to go to the games I guess it wont kill me to pay a few bucks to watch it. I would spend way more going there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It sucks for sure. Since I am no longer physically able to go to the games I guess it wont kill me to pay a few bucks to watch it. I would spend way more going there.
Do yourself a favor and do something else that day.

Seriously. Watching Captain Jackoff bounce around while Slingbkade loses 10-7 again? No thanks.

To say nothing of putting money in the coffers of Disney to help them destroy the lives of more children and indoctrinate them into being trannies.

No offense, @BNAG8R.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Part of the problem is schematic. When you are undersized up front, play only 2 linebackers (precluding you from playing or really even recruiting a true run plugging middle LB), and play a third corner instead of a true "star" (safety/LB hybrid) you are terribly weak vs the run. Your safeties cheat up to help with run defense and get caught. We will see how much that changes. Id like to see that Sam backer on the field and nickel corner sitting against these running teams. Id also like to see a true strong safety and free safety pair instead of just playing two free type safeties with interchangeable roles. Think RFN playing deep and Joiner up front.

There is a downside. If you have a heavy safety and the offense runs motion you have to flip strong and weak side. Given how complex our defenses are this shouldn't really be a problem. We end up dropping one of the safeties down on many plays anyway. It is also weaker in coverage versus the slot receiver.

Given how many teams we play are run oriented versus passing oriented I think it's the right move. Alabama switchef to this really light defense a few years back, primarily to counter Ohio State and Clemson but it just doesn't make sense for most SEC offenses. At least to me.
Great points.

I heard Spikes interviewed a couple of weeks ago. The interviewer mentioned that there aren’t many LBs his size anymore. I assume it’s because coverage speed & skills are more emphasized in the current game? So finding a bigger guy who can also move is huge.

Hate to put too much on one guy, but I really like that we got Pup Howard. 6’4” 235 per the roster, he can at least look Spikes in the eye and has the frame to add muscle. The rest of our ILBs are 6’-6’2, 230.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it really?
boom GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Great points.

I heard Spikes interviewed a couple of weeks ago. The interviewer mentioned that there aren’t many LBs his size anymore. I assume it’s because coverage speed & skills are more emphasized in the current game? So finding a bigger guy who can also move is huge.

Hate to put too much on one guy, but I really like that we got Pup Howard. 6’4” 235 per the roster, he can at least look Spikes in the eye and has the frame to add muscle. The rest of our ILBs are 6’-6’2, 230.
230 is better than 205-210 under Grantham. Spikes at 6-3 265 ish would have played DT under Grantham, maybe nose tackle.

it is hard to find a big guy that can run sideline to sideline. It's just as hard to find a little fast guy who can hit hard enough to take on a 220 lb running back or a 300 lb offensive guard.

So it brings me back to my original point that continuing to play these Big 12 style defenses is the problem. It hasn't even worked at Alabama the last few years. they have not been dominant. Even they have had trouble finding the dudes strong enough to play inside and fast enough to run to the sideline. Just switch back to 3 linebackers, a big Mike and two fast lighter outside backers, except on third and long or vs a pass happy team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator