Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Heard this said but didn't really get any confirmation. Was the defense being handcuffed from blitzing this year? Vs basically blitzing every play last year.
They seemed to be pretty solid to me during the game. There was no point when I watched the game last year that I thought they looked adequate.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They seemed to be pretty solid to me during the game. There was no point when I watched the game last year that I thought they looked adequate.
Sorry if I wasnt clear. Was the D allowed to defense blitz?

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is sad. It’s one of the big reasons I have doubted Billy. His in game management is the worst I have ever seen.
He screwed up the final drive too. Mertz called the timeout because they were screwing up getting the call in off the sideline.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
My biggest takeaway was more of the same and what we knew, with a couple minor exceptions. Some thoughts:

Hard to assess the OL since I could not rewind plays on ESPN+ to see where breakdowns were coming from.

Play calling in a spring game on 2nd and long and 3rd and long for the team was sooo conservative, as though the team actually behind was holding onto a lead in the SEC Championship game was gross, but just who the guy is.

Same with Mertz. He is who he is. Maybe 2 throws that truly looked good, a lot of mediocre or check-downs, and enough screens or pop-passes that are really jet sweeps to make the stats look "efficient" though a completion for only 1-3 yards is far from "efficient".

Second team OL was beaten all day by a defense that to @Swamp Donkey's question played vanilla. First team OL was ok in pass pro but not great, and struggled heavily in the run game. Everything the offense did seemed difficult.

Baugh was the takeway of the game for the second team offense. I know it is a tradition to have a spring game star that disappears, but that is not usually at RB. It is more often a backup WR who gets a couple good matchups against walkons and never shows up again. What Baugh showed "should" translate in the season.

Pup Howard was the defensive star of the game and seemingly everywhere, even in coverage.

Lagway showed better ball placement down field than his HS film showed, and certainly better than Mertz while also looking to push it downfield more. Lagway was more inconsistent and held the ball too long, but we should expect that for a guy 14 practices into college.

The secondary seemed more fundamentally sound, but I also worry our WR's simply don't separate or have route combos that help that situation because the pass rush let up close to the QB, so WR's should have had more time and were rarely open (except Wilson).

We also missed several kicks and only ran 10 out on the field (which would be more understandable in a spring game with special teams players broken up between teams if not so comically bad last season).

The first Mertz drive, 17 plays (a favorable 4th down mark), and only three points, plus the conservative calls in our own spring game, and mediocre route options downfield suggest we will see exactly what we have seen the last few years, with a bit of offensive improvement from experience and, hopefully, a more sound defense.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest takeaway was more of the same and what we knew, with a couple minor exceptions. Some thoughts:

Hard to assess the OL since I could not rewind plays on ESPN+ to see where breakdowns were coming from.

Play calling in a spring game on 2nd and long and 3rd and long for the team was sooo conservative, as though the team actually behind was holding onto a lead in the SEC Championship game was gross, but just who the guy is.

Same with Mertz. He is who he is. Maybe 2 throws that truly looked good, a lot of mediocre or check-downs, and enough screens or pop-passes that are really jet sweeps to make the stats look "efficient" though a completion for only 1-3 yards is far from "efficient".

Second team OL was beaten all day by a defense that to @Swamp Donkey's question played vanilla. First team OL was ok in pass pro but not great, and struggled heavily in the run game. Everything the offense did seemed difficult.

Baugh was the takeway of the game for the second team offense. I know it is a tradition to have a spring game star that disappears, but that is not usually at RB. It is more often a backup WR who gets a couple good matchups against walkons and never shows up again. What Baugh showed "should" translate in the season.

Pup Howard was the defensive star of the game and seemingly everywhere, even in coverage.

Lagway showed better ball placement down field than his HS film showed, and certainly better than Mertz while also looking to push it downfield more. Lagway was more inconsistent and held the ball too long, but we should expect that for a guy 14 practices into college.

The secondary seemed more fundamentally sound, but I also worry our WR's simply don't separate or have route combos that help that situation because the pass rush let up close to the QB, so WR's should have had more time and were rarely open (except Wilson).

We also missed several kicks and only ran 10 out on the field (which would be more understandable in a spring game with special teams players broken up between teams if not so comically bad last season).

The first Mertz drive, 17 plays (a favorable 4th down mark), and only three points, plus the conservative calls in our own spring game, and mediocre route options downfield suggest we will see exactly what we have seen the last few years, with a bit of offensive improvement from experience and, hopefully, a more sound defense.
Play calling became sooooooo conservative after 1st drive of 2nd half. Can’t understand why he continues as the play caller.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Great Throw!
That was a very good throw but I believe against a real team that has proper coaching, that back side Safety will pick that ball off. He was late to realize the WR had entered his side of the field and was too tightly squeezing the short side of the field in my opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was a very good throw but I believe against a real team that has proper coaching, that back side Safety will pick that ball off. He was late to realize the WR had entered his side of the field and was too tightly squeezing the short side of the field in my opinion.
Id much rather risk throwing an INT trying than the usual Billy Potato redzone plan of run, run, run, missed FG. What did we score, 3 points on 4 endzone attempts vs FSU?

DJ looked pretty good from what I saw. Hopefully in November or December we can get him a coaching staff which can use his skills.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.