Spurrier speaks out on the play calling

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
If the Bible is to be believed, only God can speak something into existence. Egor's not gonna let a little thing like that slow him down
511BsVeklqL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Multiple sources told SDS this week that Napier will make a change in the offseason and bring in his own coordinator. Time will tell if that is impactful, but first and foremost, Napier the CEO has to get the hire for who replaces Napier the coordinator right.

Here is a pretty good read from SDS.

Thanks for posting.

Many Florida fans lamented the offensive line coaching of Darnell Stapleton and Rob Sale, Florida’s two offensive line coaches. But a season ago, that duo coached an offensive line that had a consensus All-American, a freshman All-American, and the Gators were a semifinalist for the Joe Moore Award, honoring the nation’s best offensive line unit.

Did Sale and Stapleton forget how to coach? It’s more complicated than that, according to longtime college football and recruiting analyst Corey Long, who has covered the sport and recruiting for SDS, ESPN and the New York Times.

“It’s a talent game,” Long told SDS this week. “Sale and Stapleton can coach technique and develop players. Their coaching is not the problem. But they also have to accumulate talent and that’s part of the equation. As a coach, Sale and Stapleton have to know their room and they need to make the personnel moves necessary.”

It’s fair to criticize personnel choices by Sale and Stapleton.

Florida lost 3 potential starters with SEC experience this offseason when tackle Michael Tarquin, a former 4-star recruit, and guards Ethan White and Josh Braun hit the transfer portal. Tarquin’s absence hurts terribly, as he is now starting at Playoff contender Southern Cal. Braun, a fantastic run blocker, also is missed.

“I don’t know if they pushed the Tarquin kid out or what,” an SEC offensive coordinator told SDS. “I do know when he hit the portal it was an eyebrow raising thing. It was a, ‘I better pick up the phone and call the kid before my boss asks me why I haven’t yet thing.’”

Without those three pieces, Florida’s offensive line features All-SEC center Kingsley Eguakun, Austin Barber, the former blue-chip tackle who was a freshman All-American, and a host of transfers and youth. Somewhat shockingly, of Florida’s 10 offensive linemen on the 2-deep ahead of Saturday’s tilt against Vanderbilt, only Barber and Alabama transfer Damieon George were blue-chip recruits (4- or 5-stars). That’s a high-end talent deficiency, and Florida has to win recruiting battles to address it or get more aggressive in the transfer portal.

“Sale and Stapleton are decent recruiters, not bad ones. If they have the dudes, they’ll coach them well, like they did last year,” Long told SDS. “But if I could fault the Napier regime to date with one big thing, it’s that they lack a no-frills recruiting machine on staff. I’m talking about a guy who you can make the tight ends coach or whatever and he goes and gets players at any position in any region against any school recruiting the kid. Urban had that guy in Doc Holliday. He had no boundaries as a recruiter. Florida needs that guy right now because they aren’t landing them on the offensive line.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for posting jdh. In hindsight, staff should have tried to keep Tarquin, at least. What can ya do? Need talent.
Two OL coaches, two recruiting cycles. Run-oriented offense, had an All-American last season, and we're still not recruiting well at the position. Something stinks there.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Two OL coaches, two recruiting cycles. Run-oriented offense, had an All-American last season, and we're still not recruiting well at the position. Something stinks there.
They will have to get a couple of good ones out of the portal this year. (if they are in there).
We did well on the DL side but our OL talent level just isn't there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator