Stewart Mandel: Oh, how the mighty SEC has fallen

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
THIS...the SEC is just another conference right now.

You can not copy your way to greatness as UGa will find out as this season goes forward. Sadly Foley did not understand that and so until UF gets out of the copy mode, UF fans will be marking time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We officially missed on James Franklin and Scott Frost for extra Butters :-(

Frost would be the same issue we had with Muschamp, another guy who didn't have head coach experience. At least Franklin had P5 experience but also had the rape scandal.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of course they have to knock on the SEC NOW but from 98-17 the SEC WON 10 out of 19 NCs including 7 in a row

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

All the coaches that don't understand roster management have "injury problems".

So let’s run with the premise that all but 1or 2 of the staffs are shyt. It begs the question “Why?”. How does the undisputed best conference just a few years ago, with the best local talent, and (other than Texas) the best tv money, all of a sudden have these horrible staffs? Is it too much reliance on “coaching tree” hires? Are good staffs reluctant to come in and try to compete with Saban? Is the money just as good elsewhere without all of the pressure?

How has this happened?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So let’s run with the premise that all but 1or 2 of the staffs are shyt. It begs the question “Why?”. How does the undisputed best conference just a few years ago, with the best local talent, and (other than Texas) the best tv money, all of a sudden have these horrible staffs? Is it too much reliance on “coaching tree” hires? Are good staffs reluctant to come in and try to compete with Saban? Is the money just as good elsewhere without all of the pressure?

How has this happened?
I think you pretty much summed it up. Saban has basically officially broken the SEC. All the programs are trying to figure out how to compete with him to the point where the 2 "winningest" coaches not named Saban were fired. And now pretty much 2/3 of the conference coaches are on the hot-seat almost directly related to Saban's dominance. Even if you are willing to spend the money like (LSU was) it's hard to get a big name coach to come in, so all you can do is shoot for an "up and comer" and hope to strike gold which no one seems to have done yet. UGA may be the exception but it's too early to tell.

Hell, Urban is pretty well accepted as the second best coach in the nation, and he couldn't hang with Saban. Other top coaches see the way Saban broke off Meyer's dik and shoved it down his esophagus, and they think "why the hell would I want any part of that if I can coach is any other power 5 conference and have a lot easier path to the playoff"?

Personally I think the best thing that can happen is Saban losing to UGA (doubtful, and a single loss in the SECCG might not be enough to keep him out of the playoff) or better yet Dabo again forcing him to call it quits out of embarrassment of becoming Clempson's Bytch.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why in the world would a UF fan cut this off at 1998? From 1996 through 2017 the SEC won 11 out of 21 NCs.
Apparently he is a tinerc fan.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe the first BCS championship game started in 1998.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

How has this happened?

Too much copying going on by chicken ADs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe the first BCS championship game started in 1998.
The first real national championship was 1996, the Bowl Coalition. No more going to Pasadena and playing a 3 loss #20 team or playing a home game at the Orange Bowl vs a 2 or 3 loss Oklahoma/ Nebraska and declaring yourselves National Champion.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The first real national championship was 1996, the Bowl Coalition. No more going to Pasadena and playing a 3 loss #20 team or playing a home game at the Orange Bowl vs a 2 or 3 loss Oklahoma/ Nebraska and declaring yourselves National Champion.

Exactly it only makes sense to break from when there was a playoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator