Stewart Mandel ranks SEC coaching talent dead last among Power 5 conferences

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Been saying this for 3 years. Sabans the worst thing that ever happened to the SEC. He's caused a mass exodus of talent both coaching and players to go elsewhere; greatest recipient being the ACC due to it covering similar geography.

Coaches now go elsewhere where they have a shot to win and contend. Even top guys know they're gonna play 2nd fiddle to Nicky in the SEC. As far as kids, a lot of top talent goes elsewhere to try and get conference titles bc they know unless bama offers, they ain't winning jack in the SEC.

Just the way it is and nobody in HC positions in the SEC as of now is going to change it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think its a matter of coaches taking acc jobs over sec jobs. Its more of everyone in the sec trying to replicate what saban does.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even top guys know they're gonna play 2nd fiddle to Nicky in the SEC.
Good fvkking gawd, Satan isn't invincible. He lost TWICE to Hugh Freeze, lost to Gamechickens and once to a minor leauge direction school. Hell, Richt almost beat Satan's "best team" and threw for like 400 yards in an SECCG. Johnny Eightball threw for 350 or so. He just lost to Dabo Swinney, who only has two more IQ points than Will Duncecap.

You just can't beat Satan trying to run the GD ball up the middle 50 times. And yet every freakin ignorant AD in the SEC, especially our own, keeps hiring lil Satan minions and watches them try to do the same damn thing.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Good fvkking gawd, Satan isn't invincible. He lost TWICE to Hugh Freeze, lost to Gamechickens and once to a 1AA team. Hell, Richt almost beat Satan's "best team" and threw for like 400 yards in an SECCG. Johnny Eightball threw for 350 or so. He just lost to Dabo Swinney, who only has two more IQ points than Will Duncecap.

You just can't beat Satan trying to run the GD ball up the middle 50 times. And yet every freakin ignorant AD in the SEC, especially our own, keeps hiring lil Satan minions and watches them try to do the same damn thing.
name someone who's available that will come in and beat him consistently. Don't throw out dabo or whoever else won a title recently bc they ain't coming here. Saban owns the conference, it is what it is. Deal with it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A coach with a wide open spread it out offense that can actually get the top Florida talent to stay here with a few out of state 5 stars thrown in could match up with Saban. I am curious how someone like Kelly would work out in the SEC. If he could recruit like Meyer did here he would probably do alright. His recruiting was never great at Oregon but they don't have hardly any big time instate talent there.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A coach with a wide open spread it out offense that can actually get the top Florida talent to stay here with a few out of state 5 stars thrown in could match up with Saban. I am curious how someone like Kelly would work out in the SEC. If he could recruit like Meyer did here he would probably do alright. His recruiting was never great at Oregon but they don't have hardly any big time instate talent there.

Open offense that throws down the field. Saban has been hurt by teams that use the deep ball. The dinking and dunking that Kelly's offense and side to side action wouldn't work. With Tebow we threw down the field in 2008, when we were taking the game. Manziel and TAM were throwing down the field. Ole Miss throwing deep down the field. Same with Clemson. Need a team that is willing to take shots down the field.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agree it's not so much a "spread" O... God forbid, but a capable QB that can drop the deep ball and hit the timing seams like a world class horse shoe thrower accuracy, lol

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Good fvkking gawd, Satan isn't invincible. He lost TWICE to Hugh Freeze, lost to Gamechickens and once to a 1AA team. Hell, Richt almost beat Satan's "best team" and threw for like 400 yards in an SECCG. Johnny Eightball threw for 350 or so. He just lost to Dabo Swinney, who only has two more IQ points than Will Duncecap.

Considering Saban is undefeated vs his minions...yeah, you'd have to be a moron to hire one of them and expect them to beat him. I do think he's chased off all the good help. Invincible? No but pretty damn close for now.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Been saying this for 3 years. Sabans the worst thing that ever happened to the SEC. He's caused a mass exodus of talent both coaching and players to go elsewhere; greatest recipient being the ACC due to it covering similar geography.

Coaches now go elsewhere where they have a shot to win and contend. Even top guys know they're gonna play 2nd fiddle to Nicky in the SEC. As far as kids, a lot of top talent goes elsewhere to try and get conference titles bc they know unless bama offers, they ain't winning jack in the SEC.

Just the way it is and nobody in HC positions in the SEC as of now is going to change it.

This is a nice theory, but in fact what is the case?

1. LSU had a recent opening and tried to attract Fisher a coach already in an easier position to reach the playoffs. I do not believed they were turned down by anyone they might have gotten because of the West.

2. SoCar had a recent opening and got the one guy they went after.

3. Vandy had a recent opening and the SEC did not scare off a DC from Stanford.

4. UF had a recent opening and while possibly went cheap no candidate was scared off by the SEC.

5. UMo had a recent opening, but had far worse problems on campus than the SEC and went internal.

6. UF had another opening during the Saban error at UAL and UF was able to attract the coach in waiting at UTx.

7. AU had a recent opening and was able attract the hottest offensive coach from the Sunbelt though he had AU connections.

So again while I like your theory, I think in fact SEC programs have gotten where they are due to their own coaching hiring decisions that had nothing to do with Saban and UAL.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

1. LSU had a recent opening and tried to attract Fisher a coach already in an easier position to reach the playoffs. I do not believed they were turned down by anyone they might have gotten because of the West.

4. UF had a recent opening and while possibly went cheap no candidate was scared off by the SEC.

5. UMo had a recent opening, but had far worse problems on campus than the SEC and went internal.

6. UF had another opening during the Saban error at UAL and UF was able to attract the coach in waiting at UTx.

7. AU had a recent opening and was able attract the hottest offensive coach from the Sunbelt though he had AU connections.

So again while I like your theory, I think in fact SEC programs have gotten where they are due to their own coaching hiring decisions that had nothing to do with Saban and UAL.

1. LSU has their own issues at AD... We are all waiting for Duke Lacrosse AD to be fired from LSU... he has foot in mouth disease
2. Other than SoS what SoCar coach has scared you?
3. It's Vandy
4. UF went Cheap and Saban Tree
5. It's Missouri
6. UF went Saban Tree
7. They hired the guy who led the offense on their previous NC (could be argued the reason for that NC), and was decent in the Sun Belt.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Nobody wants to try to have to beat Saban once a year let alone sometimes twice in a year.

Stop hiring Saban wannabes.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Lot of words, no substance. All those suckasses you just named suck ass... which was my point, thanks for confirming it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
name someone who's available that will come in and beat him consistently. Don't throw out dabo or whoever else won a title recently bc they ain't coming here. Saban owns the conference, it is what it is. Deal with it.
Anyone who could score some points would win the East easily and Trailerbammer is very mediocre in the secondary.

If Freeze can do it consistently, many guys can.... just not an idiot who wants to run the ball into the strength of their defense and celebrate if he scores twice.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Open offense that throws down the field. Saban has been hurt by teams that use the deep ball. The dinking and dunking that Kelly's offense and side to side action wouldn't work. With Tebow we threw down the field in 2008, when we were taking the game. Manziel and TAM were throwing down the field. Ole Miss throwing deep down the field. Same with Clemson. Need a team that is willing to take shots down the field.

Does Oklahoma mostly throw short and medium stuff that turns into longer yard plays or do they go deep a lot. I remember them eating Bama's defense up also spreading it out. I know Oklahoma thew deep quite a bit in 08 but haven't really watched them much since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator