Stopping Fournette

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;297154 said:
We are not going to be able to stop Fournette on every play. If Fournette breaks a long touchdown run the Gators need to be prepared for the aftermath. The crowd will erupt. But we need to keep our cool. Whatever you do don't fumble the football on the ensuing kick-off. Forget about the previous play you lost. Get ready to play and win the next play. Don't let Fournette take over the game.

To look on the bright side --- if Fournette makes a long run that means the LSU offense does not stay on the field and waterboard us to death drip by drip. It means the LSU defense has to be on the field longer.

The key is to stop Fournette enough times. I just don't think even a defense as good as ours is going to completely shut Fournette down, but if he does make a long touchdown run don't go into a complete funk. Don't get rattled. Be prepared.

"Stopping" was probably the wrong word. Yes, he'll get some yards. Or a ton of yards... If we can penetrate the LOS before he gets a head of steam, well, Loyd Christmas was already quoted here... Their OL will be tough to beat. It's gonna be a physical game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
We need a Brandon Spikes drive him into the dirt tackle to pen up the flood gates. Gators upset lswhoo at home Saturday night. Get the popcorn boys....

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Load the box and play man on the outside. We have the DB's to handle man coverage and their QB and WR's are both unproven.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd probably keep 8 in the box unless it's third and long or we are up by 2 TD's. Then I'd just keep 7 in the box.

I've said this in other threads, but Brandon Harris will probably have more carries this game than he's had in any other game this season. Containing him will be just as important as slowing down Fournette.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
LF7 will get his yards just because he will get the touches, probably 25-30 carries at a minimum unless we get a big lead somehow. I really just don't want to let him score, if he breaks a big run we need to be able to get him out/down before the endzone. Make them earn every yard to get into the endzone and force their QB to make plays with his arm if they want the 6. Just stack the box and tackle, I think it will be a long day for LF7. The thing that worries me the most is the FG unit, does anyone here trust the kicker if it comes down to a kick?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Swamped Gator;297540 said:
Load the box and play man on the outside. We have the DB's to handle man coverage and their QB and WR's are both unproven.

No argument here, but our lack of depth at LB is a big reason we've run a lot nickel D. That, and the spread offenses we've faced... So how do we load the box and last the whole game? That's the big question.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can we just pull a Tonya Harding on him?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
CGgater;n297600 said:
No argument here, but our lack of depth at LB is a big reason we've run a lot nickel D. That, and the spread offenses we've faced... So how do we load the box and last the whole game? That's the big question.

We're deep on the DL and thin on LBs. Run a lot of 5-3. Pull a safety in tight as a 4-4 for some variety. Even if they try to counter by passing on our 3-man backfield, that puts them out of their core strength.

This advice, plus $5, will get you a hot caffeinated drink in most locations.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
CGgater;n297600 said:

True but I think their starting FB being injured is a much bigger deal that people realize. He was a big part of clearing the lanes for LF. Maybe that will negate our LB lack of depth. The big thing will be ball hawking. One DB on LF could be trouble. We have to wrap up, slow him down, and then gang tackle.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
williston_gator;n297229 said:
The best way to stop him is to along with good defense, get out ahead so they have to throw. Of course, the grass eater would probably still keep running it.

He'll call fake punt on 3rd and 6.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Swamped Gator;n297755 said:
True but I think their starting FB being injured is a much bigger deal that people realize.

While it may have some impact on the game, I believe LSU has had good runners in the past and a steady line of FBs on the roster to block for them. Man down, man up = not much of an issue for LSU. Moreover, LF7 is a beast and may not notice the lack of a FB. Hopefully he will notice a tougher defense than he's faced this season. That, and we eat Brandon Harris for dinner with sack after sack.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Don't overpersue, tackle low and wrap up, don't get burnt on a pass because they will try. Gouge eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.